2018 QQ 1.6 dCi Xtronic CVT fluid change?

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
OldLadyAndSon
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by OldLadyAndSon »

Thanks for the comments folks.

@gloucester: Good point, but providing I use correct NS3 rated fluids, they would never know....I won't tell them if you don't! ;)
Besides, I've had a lot of trouble just getting my local Nissan dealerships to even acknowledge that a fluid/filter change is a procedure that they could actually do!

First, closest dealership: I gave up after repeated/failed promises of call-backs.
Second, farther away dealership: after three failed call-backs, I eventually spoke to someone in their service department, who firstly asked why I wanted it done....the whole 'sealed for life' argument....and then he said that this was the first time they had ever had an enquiry into changing the fluid and filter on a CVT 'box.

I'm not too confident that Nissan are the people to be advising on this matter when they don't seen to know what I'm talking about!
Not impressed! :x

Furthermore (after calling their own Nissan experts themselves apparently) they have categorically stated that there is only one filter in the CVT transmission - the one in the pan - and that's the filter they would change - their price is £308+VAT.

This has me confused to say the least, since I have done some research, and although I could be wrong, I was sure it had two filters - one in the pan, and this other, mysterious, secret filter that no-one else (except Stephens Engineering) seems to know anything about.

In summary, it seems that sadly Nissan will not be getting any of my business in the future, so I am willing to take a chance that they wash their hands of me....there are far more knowledgeable technicians elsewhere.

@Qashowner: I too have had a rummage around in the engine bay today, and found the dipstick also.
It seems that mine is in the same position as yours, unsurprisingly....right next to the battery - which is convenient.
Thanks for the link, interesting reading....haven't read it all yet, though.
You're right, I can't see the level/overflow tube either....but then again, my eyes are not great either.
I did find this exploded view image...(perhaps 'exploded' isn't the appropriate word here!!! :D )

jf015e_parts_scheme.jpg

Note part no. 765-5 right at the bottom....I think that's the overflow/level tube.

As yet, I'm not sure that this is indeed the CVTs that we have, but I will continue researching and report back.
I decided to have one last try with the main Nissan UK website, and have written a question regarding the CVT code number and whether there are one or two filters.

It keeps me off the streets!! :lol:

**EDIT**

If anyone is interested, this 'mysterious, hidden, secret' filter is shown in the above diagram.
See if you can find it!! :D

**HINT** part number: 013
2018 Qashqai 1.6 dCi N-Connecta Xtronic