J10 woes.. Traction control, ESP and intermittent handbrake light

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
GavinS91
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by GavinS91 »

Evening all!

I’m new to the forum, my girlfriend and I got a new (to us) J10 Qashqai 2.0l petrol around 6months ago and have already come across second problem :x (first was a blowing exhaust)

Essentially, car starts and all is normal, however If you accelerate any more than around 20% throttle the handbrake light will illuminate, but then disappear again once you’re off the throttle again.

Under harsher, prolonged acceleration, the dash lights up with the traction control and ‘ESP off’ light which will stay illuminated until the car is switched off and on again (the handbrake light will continue lighting on and off depending on if your accelerating)

I’ve had a look around this forum and others, and have seen other with similar problems but not exact (most don’t have the issue of the handbrake light under acceleration for example!)

I’m getting it plugged into an OBDii reader tomorrow, but am not holding out hope due to seeing a lot of Nissan fault codes being Nissan specific! I’m honestly stumped of where to look so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Gavin

calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

Check the Brake Fluid level first. After that its likely an electrical fault which could be due to a number of things. There are no fault codes for the Parking Brake function.

The error symbols you see are mainly related to problems as follows. You may find error codes depending on the OBD Scanner quality?

Battery
Exhaust (emissions)
ABS
Fuelling

The errors you see usually mean that the ECU cannot control the engine correctly.
Last edited by calnorth on Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
GavinS91
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by GavinS91 »

Thanks for the response Calnorth, admittedly the brake fluid is closer to the ‘min’ line than max so I’ll get that topped up first.

It’s interesting you mention the exhaust emissions, a few weeks prior to this error beginning, we had a blow in the exhaust in which the 02 sensor initially looked like it needed to be replaced too.. but the garage (a family friend of my mrs) manage to ‘save it’, so perhaps this did need replacing after all..

You’ve certainly given me some starting points to troubleshoot so thank you!
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

GavinS91 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:30 am Thanks for the response Calnorth, admittedly the brake fluid is closer to the ‘min’ line than max so I’ll get that topped up first.

It’s interesting you mention the exhaust emissions, a few weeks prior to this error beginning, we had a blow in the exhaust in which the 02 sensor initially looked like it needed to be replaced too.. but the garage (a family friend of my mrs) manage to ‘save it’, so perhaps this did need replacing after all..

You’ve certainly given me some starting points to troubleshoot so thank you!
With an older car you likely need to check and renew elements of the exhaust system. Items down there suffer considerably. Its often a case of while you are there renew them. Unless of course you had the service records that list whats been changed.

I've added ABS to the usual warnings list...the car body control can't be managed right.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta