Engine Rattling Noise On Start Up

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
petenice
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by petenice »

Hi,

First time post here. I've got a Qashqai 2.0 Tekna 2010 which recently had a full service and MOT. In the last couple of weeks it's been making a rattling noise on start up which seems to go away once the car has warmed up. My wife has also noticed a burning smell after a while driving. Also when you do intermittent low revs on the car there's a throaty exhaust sound which isn't there on higher revs.

I'm wondering if this could be an catalytic converter issue?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Arobbie68
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Arobbie68 »

Hi, I've just put my 2016 qashqai in for a service and MOT with a rattling noise. It is the timing chain. Also my hand brake box needs replacing. The car has only completed 30 000 miles. Cost for all is £2800. Anyone else had this problem. I've written to customer services for an explanation. Gutted.
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Welcome both - sorry to have missed your posts originally. I've only found them responding to another similar concern

Our largest topic relates to the problems with this engine. Please look through it and find out what other people have succeeded in doing - or not.

viewtopic.php?t=2780 - there are 78 PAGES of concerns and advice to wade through but it WILL put you in the picture much better

If you have a FULL service history carried out properly every year at a Nissan dealer you may get a contribution.

I decided to get out before the problem started when my warranty ran out, and the warranty extension costs were significant.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)