STICKY: CVT problems hunting

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Eddzilla

Post by Eddzilla »

The prospect of another failure for me or anyones first CVT failure for that matter sadly taints an otherwise decent car.
It's a shame to start hearing of second CVT failures.
Interesting to hear what Splank was told. Plausible. Most days i've got a boot full of tools and equipment and the rest of the time the wife and kids so its always pulling a load.

EvilBoris

Post by EvilBoris »

[quote="Strangeman"]Well I took my car in and they wanted a test drive. This on the day the car behaved absolutely impeccably . Not only that but for the test run it also managed to return the highest MPG yet for a trip - 61.2.They then kept the car overnight, gave a long test run, not a problem at all. No sign of the fault. Then again it was warmer than it has been.So no new gearbox just yet, but apparently they did carry out the second CTV recall - possibly a second software patch. I suspect all they actually did was reload or actually engage the new software they loaded first time round. I'm also going to be keeping an eye on the next couple of mornings on the way into work.[/QUOTE]
My MPG has been noticeably higher than it was before the update, about 5 extra
Amos

Post by Amos »

My 2nd CVT box has started to fail. Started showing the same signs as the original. Took it back for a update today and it's already running the latest update. My local nissan dealer are saying they don't know what to do with it so they are contacting nissan technical and will get back to me. Had enough now ?Y?”
Atif

Post by Atif »

I have the same problem, but during test drive, everything is fine, so I do not have real proof. I know it's not working as it should.
Qashqai 1.6 CVT 2014
skinny

Post by skinny »

Hi My qashqai *months old 6000 miles on clock and is in for new cvt gearbox
skinny
Amos

Post by Amos »

Mines 8months old with 8000 on the clock and looks like the new cvt has gone the same way as the first. It's going back in on the 2nd March and my dealer says they are keeping it in until they get it sorted. Not sure if I will ever see it again!
ged

Post by ged »

Hi, I am new to this forum and I would like to share my bad experience with Nissan with you all,I bought brand new, the dreaded diesel with an auto box last year and yes I have had a new gearbox after it failed in the outside lane on a motorway at 3am in the morning on the way back from the airport and nearly being wiped out by a a HGV as I struggled to the hard shoulder. It took nearly six weeks to source the new box and have it fitted. After only a hundred yards it developed another fault a banging when it starts up after stop start, back into the garage again, they fitted new gearbox mounts, picked it up again and it lasted 2 days before the fault showed up again. To cut a long story short (6 months of Grief) and 11 visits to the garage. Today Nissan customer service said they will do no more for me as this is a characteristic of the vehicle and If Im not happy with the decision talk to the motor code. Ive asked Nissan for a senior technician to look at the car and they have refused Me. I have had 3 independent engineers look at the car and all have said there is a major fault with it. Also the Dealer has said yes we know there is a fault but we don't know how to fix ita€¦a€¦..and it now gets worse, the original fault on the gearbox is now doing the same on the new box and the banging gets louder every daya€¦I hope this is a warning to any one thinking of buying a new Qashqai as the service is appalling and they should be ashamed of them selves a€¦.Ged Mortimore.
duncho

Post by duncho »

Ged, thanks for sharing your experience. Luckily I didn't drive my car when I noticed CVT belt slipping. After the update it fixed that issue (who knows for how long), however it still lag pulling out on acceleration. CVT cars seem to be undersized or not tuned properly. Interesting is that none of NISSAN technicians could notice slipping CVT belt. I was told that the way it was behaving before update is normal... NO COMMENT!
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
PeterL

Post by PeterL »

GEd - It is important that you insist that Nissan CS write to you and repeat this "Today Nissan customer service said they will do no more for me as this is a characteristic of the vehicle and If Im not happy with the decision talk to the motor code."
Tekna CVT 1.6 Magnetic Red - born 4/4/14 P/X 25/10/2015 for £19k with 12,000 on the clock - great car but time to change. No problems whatsoever in those 18 month's.
F1 Bob

Post by F1 Bob »

GED - Under the Sale of Goods Act your contract is with the dealer and not Nissan. I would get advice from a solicitor or CAB and look to give written notice to the dealer that you are rejecting the vehicle.
Pulsar 1.5 dCi Tekna in Bronze