STICKY: CVT problems hunting

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Eddzilla

Post by Eddzilla »

Don't just walk, RUN! And don't look back.
In fairness my CVT having been replaced at 6k miles has not replicated the same hunting fault. That said the lag when i go to pull away sometimes is dangerous and has nearly killed me twice. It creap you forward into the rapidly closing gap in the traffic you thought you had and then just when you think, na, its not going to happen, WHOOSH! It gives it everything and throws you infront of the oncoming traffic. One i mounted a pavement all four wheels. Dangerous and this is why mine is going back to the dealer which is another issue. 2 weeks minimum to get a service! Too much recall work i guess.

And finally, sorry to say, the CVT is the tip of the iceberg. Most of the tech/bells and whistles are floored. See numerous other threads.

duncho

Post by duncho »

Hi Twamly and welcomefrom my personal experience 1,6dCi with CVT (purchased 5/2014), I had slipping CVT belt issue since I purchased the car, but I drove it carefully with no hard load to avoid damage. I reported this to Nissan and dealers numerous times, but the final software update, which has cured loose belt between pulleys was released 5 months later in December '14. Since then, I have not noticed this fault under any driving conditions I have ever tried. I would say this was the main reason why there were so many damaged CVTs on new QQs. People are people and not all of us have sense. patience or time to drive it with cautiousness if there is any unusual sound coming from the gearbox. No issues anymore1.6 dCi hesitating on light throttle was also addressed and I haven't noticed this !so annoying! fault since the update of ECM was released in mid-year 2014. I like this engine, it gives a nice punch, however, I would welcome if it is a bit less grumpy. This characteristic "grumpy" sound is caused by its design (pistons, compress ratio, etc), so that's how it is. No issues anymoreThe only thing I have still problem with is a lag on acceleration from standstill. Whenever I try to quickly merge into a hectic traffic, it has a delay which you must count on, otherwise you may get into a trouble. There is any way you can compare CVT response with Manual or DSG. It could be that this is the way how all CVTs behave as this is my first car with CVT based transmission. You won't be bothered with this if you are calm driver and you don't live in big city with a hectic traffic
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
Grocer Jack

Post by Grocer Jack »

I had recall works actioned in December and since then no futher cvt issues (still orriginal gearbox) although I do agree with Eddzilla regarding issues with lag particularly scarry at roundabouts, I have learnt to manage it (I think).
The car is fantastic to look at and drive when all is going well but I don't belive the build quality and quality of some materials used is as good as the previous model. I now wish that I had hung on to my last QQ another couple of years (although it did have 100k on the clock). If I was looking to buy new now (knowing what I now know) I would not go for the QQ?
Quashqai 1.6dci Acenta vis tronic pearl black - DOB March 2014 -- Previous Quashqai 1.5dci Acenta (2010)
Twamly

Post by Twamly »

Thanks for the quick responses.I'm going to book another test drive next week and then decide. However, my gut feeling is to keep the old one for now.
Amos

Post by Amos »

Think very carefully. My 1.6 CVT tenka is now 10 months old and on its 3rd gearbox. It's had many updates on the software and the latest one has left it with a massive delay on pull away from a stand still. It's very annoying and sometimes dangerous.
My advice would be if you want a Nissan get a manual.
I've had enough now and QQ is going next month ?Y?„?Y?„
DACA

Post by DACA »

Hi I have a 2015 CVT and at 7000 miles the issues showed their faces. I have found the dealership poor, technicians NVG and Nissan Customer services as much use as a chocolate fire guard. Our car began with the hunting 'clutch slip ' and then a sensor failed along with cruise. 2 sensors later slight improvements but when the car is cold we have issues. Got the authority for a new box then it was taken away as the dealer said they could not get the car to show the fault. Having demonstrated the fault you would have thought something would have been done. No let it deevelop and call the RAC if/when it fails. Not very happy
DACA

Ink Blue 1.6 DCi Tekna Xtronic
EveP
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by EveP »

I have a 2015 Mk2 QQ with 36,000 miles on it - she has just started the juddering and skipping rev counter; took it to local dealer and they updated the software last week and claimed it was fixed - 5 minutes down the road started to judder again - booked in for further investigation next week but looking at the thread here it would appear to be the CVT
matty88

Post by matty88 »

Can’t wait to get rid of my 1.6 DCI Qashqai xtronic cvt. Its never ever felt right but just recently it’s been juddering/skipping gears and braking the car on its own it’s truly awful. I took it for a major service at Nissan this week and told them of all this but as suspected they play ignorant and deny there’s anything wrong with it - probably didn’t even bother checking it they just claim it’s a sealed unit and there’s nothing they can do. They know full well what’s wrong with it really and just
Keep quiet :x Their stance is they want it to fail on you so you beg them to change the gearbox - £4K later... and so on. Never buying a Nissan again for this - the Qashqai itself is a decent enough car but that XTronic gearbox is a ticking time bomb and ruins the car completely. If you own one get rid of it as quick as you can.
Qashowner

Post by Qashowner »

Not sure how it can skip gears, there's only one in there unless you count reverse :D I have been driving CVT gearboxes fro well over 10 years and have had no issue and I am currently driving a 1.6 cvt QQ J11. Smooth as can be. Unfortunately, it is the failures that get posted most, people like me, who, touch wood, have not had a problem tend to be quiet, it working why say anything.
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.
Rayleigh_QQ_2018
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Rayleigh_QQ_2018 »

Hi All, this is my first time here. I hope you can help me out on my question. I have a 2018 QQ 1.2 CVT Petrol, still new, and recently, when I start the engine, it begins to rev between 2-3k. Not a constant rev but more of like you are stepping on the gas. Note when I start the engine the aircon is automatically on and so is the radio. I hope for your advise on the cause of this. Thanks!