Danish article about CVT Problems

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
PeterL

Post by PeterL »

:Quacker "It is more probable that yours works as it should but that an unacceptably high proportion of them don't or suffer early failure"Without real-world figures it really is hard to see why you say this with such authority, OK even a few is an unacceptable figure certainly for those with one of the duds but I can say with equal conviction that it seems to me that the majority of us are more than happy - the silent majority perhaps? However, it would certainly help if Nissan would come out and defend themselves. They must be producing more than 500 a day (10k/month) of which a good percentage will be CVT's. No doubt at some point, if the Danes do manage to get momentum, we'll find out the truth. As it stands we have those with a problem (and others) attempting to undermine the confidence of those with a CVT but without a problem. That seems totally wrong to me.
Tekna CVT 1.6 Magnetic Red - born 4/4/14 P/X 25/10/2015 for £19k with 12,000 on the clock - great car but time to change. No problems whatsoever in those 18 month's.

duncho

Post by duncho »

Hm, you are lucky that it works as it should. But I would disagree with your comparison to CVT based motorbike. Since 1995 till today, I was owning only CVT based motorbikes and I have still own one. Some of them were not as good as the others, but they work/ worked with no problems at all. Due to very positive experience with CVT based motorbikes I decided to give a try to CVT based car. Well, it works for now, but not smoothly. I don't want to repeat my car issues over and over, but surely I can say it has faaaar from smoothness of CVTs used on motorbikes.
I'm not an expert in this field, but I do have a feeling that no matter what JATCO tries improving their gearboxes, it simply seems to be not ripen enough, yet.
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
duncho

Post by duncho »

PeterL,
most likely you are right with your point about percentage of operating/ faulty gearboxes. But instead of saying "it would certainly help if Nissan would come out and defend themselves" I would say "it would certainly help if Nissan would come out with proper support and solve/ replace faulty CVT gearboxes". At the end that will only improve customers' satisfaction and Nissan goodwill, and not "defending themselves" and leaving customers suffering with terrifying feel of disappointment and wasted hardly earned money.

Donkey

Post by Donkey »

What amazes me is somewhere there is a table of Nissan execs pulling there hair out and planning what to doThis group will no doubt be on wages that would exceed what most of us could ever earn to decide to do nothing but wait for it to go awayBut its been a year since Nissan demanded jatco be accountable then launched the new QQ knowing of the issues and despite having problems from day of launch decided to launch a couple more models using same tech knowing what they knowAt what point do a company actualy say we bitten off more than we can chew halt the order book clear the backlog and fix the problems before this bites us in the arseAnd more to point why are motoring magazines not running features on this? after all the QQ was promoted as what cars car of the year a month before the car was even launched so are responsible in a way for advising people of there purchase without even seeing the car surely they have a follow up right of responce?
montimar

Post by montimar »

My Qashqai CVT is just as smooth as my Honda Motorbike CVT and both are much smoother than my Gilera CVT.
April 2014 Acenta 1.6 Xtronic Blade Silver
duncho

Post by duncho »

[quote="montimar"]
My Qashqai CVT is just as smooth as my Honda Motorbike CVT and both are much smoother than my Gilera CVT.[/QUOTE]

As I said, you are lucky :) My car CVT behaves incomparably with my PCX-250 bike unfortunately. It seems it has to break down completely so that it brings Nissan's attention on it.

PeterL

Post by PeterL »

[quote="duncho"]PeterL, most likely you are right with your point about percentage of operating/ faulty gearboxes. But instead of saying "it would certainly help if Nissan would come out and defend themselves" I would say "it would certainly help if Nissan would come out with proper support and solve/ replace faulty CVT gearboxes". At the end that will only improve customers' satisfaction and Nissan goodwill, and not "defending themselves" and leaving customers suffering with terrifying feel of disappointment and wasted hardly earned money. [/QUOTE] Certainly can't find fault with that and you're quite right a solution should indeed be top of their list. I suspect Donkey has a point too but such guys in suits rarely hide away truth be known - ohh to be a fly on the wall!
Tekna CVT 1.6 Magnetic Red - born 4/4/14 P/X 25/10/2015 for £19k with 12,000 on the clock - great car but time to change. No problems whatsoever in those 18 month's.
Blackbox100

Post by Blackbox100 »

my cvt qq was delivered to the garage today, for the replacement of the gearbox, i will have it back on monday, and will give it a good testdrive to see if the problem is solved, the other guy here in denmark who had the box replaced last week, his drive went down todayhe just informed me today that the his dealer has agreed to terminate the deal and take his car back for a full refund.I will get back to you all with my findings in next week when i get my car backSincerelyCarsten LarsenDenmark
Eddzilla

Post by Eddzilla »

What i am finding very strange about these issues is that WE are finding these issues seemingly to the suprise of Nissan. I have worked amongst many vehicle manufacturers for many years and have been involved in R&D activities including test track and rig durability testing. Modern cars are subject to the most rigourous testing schedules that a problem like what we are experiencing should be unlikely to happen. The later availability and the huge delivery delays on the 1.6 CVT's in particular suggest that either demand was way higher than forcast, they knew they had problems in R&D or both. There may be other reasons, i don't know but i strongly suspect that this is a known issue and one they have spent considerable time and money trying to fix. The difficulty for those of us affected by these issues is not only the risk of breakdown but that Nissan are not being open and honest with us. Today i went to my local dealership and presented my complaint and the details of the various engine/transmission related issues. At no point did they suggest that it was a familiar problem. Maybe it is a rare occurance but i doubt it.
PeterL

Post by PeterL »

[quote="Eddzilla"]What i am finding very strange about these issues is that WE are finding these issues seemingly to the suprise of Nissan. I have worked amongst many vehicle manufacturers for many years and have been involved in R&D activities including test track and rig durability testing. Modern cars are subject to the most rigourous testing schedules that a problem like what we are experiencing should be unlikely to happen. The later availability and the huge delivery delays on the 1.6 CVT's in particular suggest that either demand was way higher than forcast, they knew they had problems in R&D or both. There may be other reasons, i don't know but i strongly suspect that this is a known issue and one they have spent considerable time and money trying to fix. The difficulty for those of us affected by these issues is not only the risk of breakdown but that Nissan are not being open and honest with us. Today i went to my local dealership and presented my complaint and the details of the various engine/transmission related issues. At no point did they suggest that it was a familiar problem. Maybe it is a rare occurance but i doubt it.[/QUOTE] Given your experience do you think it likely that any manufacturer, let alone Nissan, would idly sit back and watch Rome (Sunderland) burn?
PeterL2014-10-22 07:16:27