Danish article about CVT Problems

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Donkey

Post by Donkey »

[quote="PeterL"] Given your experience do you think it likely that any manufacturer, let alone Nissan, would idly sit back and watch Rome (Sunderland) burn?
[/QUOTE]Amazing as it sounds the CEO of Nissan publicly blamed Jatco last xmas for the problems and im assuming there must of been a reason he even got involvedBut why do Nissan agents play the were shocked to hear that card its an isolated case, something so many of us have heard and posted daily on Twitter in responce to complaintsEither there is no faults and Nissan standing there ground or the fault is something beyond there capabilitys and they just fronting it out

montimar

Post by montimar »

I can't believe Nissan would allow cars to be sold with a known problem. The CVT boxes had a terrible reputation a few years ago and Nissan had to give an extensive warranty which must have cost them a fortune. Todays issues are more likely quality control than a basic design problem.
April 2014 Acenta 1.6 Xtronic Blade Silver
Donkey

Post by Donkey »

Dont forget Nissan own 75% of JatcoSo Nissan are not going to pull there buisness and wobble there sister company, I can see them sacking some people (tea lady and cleaners etc to satisfy public blood lust) but any one important will be moved to another cushy job within the groupHow to make a struggling company great (Jatco) Buy a controlling interest and place millions of orders in it making them largest provider in world so other companys buy thereCVT like it or not is way of future due to cost and the benefits over automatic so if public dont like them make it so thats all thats available and they will get used to it
Blackbox100

Post by Blackbox100 »

just got a call from another major danish newspaper, who will bring the story next week, together with the update, that one user in DK has had the gearbox replaced, without it solving the problemi will post the link, when the story breaksCarsten
Eddzilla

Post by Eddzilla »

PeterL - i can only go by my experiences. My last vehicle was a MY2010 Nissan Navara right around the facelift. Delivery was late by somewhere between 4-5months after due date but the dealer knew nothing about the delays - sound familiar? There were the usual roumours on the Navara Forum regarding supply issues of various components - again, a similar pattern fueled by the lack of honest information put out by Nissan. Tell me they don't know what is going on in their own facilities!
Notmal, rational folk such as ourselves might take the honestly is the best policy approach. One of transparancy and co-operation with the loyal customer base. But now twice on my last 2 vehicles, both Nissan, i am experiencing the same old blank face of Nissan.
Now i see your comments on the board and you clearly are a Nissan appreciator, maybe you have some financial interest in the company, i don't know. Thats great, Good for you. I'm not knocking Nissan, just saying what i see. I'm not saying they are better or worse than their competitors. However, myself, many others and i'm sure many more to come have a serious problem with their new and long awaited Qashqai 1.6CVT and we want it fixed before someone has an accident. Am i wrong to want this and do you have any better strategies that the affected owners should pursue?
Donkey

Post by Donkey »

Guys PeterL isnt a Nissan guy hes alright as it goesHe is voicing the points from other side and also rightly pointing out in hes opinion hes had no problems to give an even kill on the topicif we all agrea on everything the forum would be dead for a start its the opinion challenging and collecting facts that builds a groupMe and PeterL all year crossed swords but hes a sensible bloke and he does have a point but hes not Nissan hes a QQ owner just like rest of us and ironicly we both been accused of bieng in Nissan pockets lolThere has to be someone if not lots of people looking from diffrent angles otherwise wed just agrea Nissan are bad and what can we doThere are many people without problems with the CVT and this alone should give us hope if some cars are bang on the money why are some cars so wrong
PeterL

Post by PeterL »

No I'm certainly not a Nissan employee or shareholder come to that. I've been lucky, I guess, my first Nissan was an 200SX which I had for about six years which I still miss and regret ever selling. I had an X-Trail before this and that was a good car for the five years I had it, absolutely no issues at all. In between those I had a BMW300Touring. Other than the X-Trail they were automatics and of those three the BMW cost me a fortune albeit I did enjoy it but... Over the years I've enjoyed many cars but for the purposes of this thread I do like my QQ and it hasn't disappointed and I really do feel that I am in the majority. Now down to business: not everyone is happy with their QQ and some obviously do have an issue, not all the comments made on this thread are absolutely clear in what the problem is yet others certainly are - I see the videos of the Rev Counter wandering almost violently and that's hard to argue with, certainly not right - needs to be fixed. Others I'm not so sure and sadly that's for you to demonstrate to your dealer that you do indeed have a problem. There is no doubt that the CVT is a different proposition from a standard auto or shift and even of the three cars I mention all are totally different in the way they drive, how you drive them and your reasonable expectations of them? I rather flippantly said in an earlier post that perhaps the solution is for half-a-dozen of us with CVT's to get together and drive one another cars. I'm sure that would be illuminating to say the least?Facts, facts and more facts is the only real way to progress this (IMHO) and maybe a couple of carefully worded questionnaires on here would be a better way forward for you guys that have a problem? At the moment it's little more than noise, no intention of undermining or belittling your problems, I accept you have them but this surely is not the best way to get attention - there are so many repeats by the same person of their problem that the whole thing just becomes a mush!
PeterL2014-10-22 19:17:47
Tekna CVT 1.6 Magnetic Red - born 4/4/14 P/X 25/10/2015 for £19k with 12,000 on the clock - great car but time to change. No problems whatsoever in those 18 month's.
Donkey

Post by Donkey »

I dont think its flippant to meet up as it goes and see if our problems are in other peoples carsI strongly believe theres a problem with CVT and the 3 company cars all went back after we done some checking but im also open in interest of curiosity to see the outcome.Now we looked into this quite a bit as at the time there was no other recorded customer with problemsWe got told the issue was simple explained simplyNissan took a CVT box as used in other cars and wanted to eradicate the feel of the CVT and make it feel more like an autoThis includes some clever trickery making the revs change to actualy feel like its changed a gear rather than having just one long solid gearCVT is way forward for automatics as its much cheaper to make and more fuel eficient but CVT does not sound/feel or drive like conventional automaticsThe problem we was told is the electronics that makes the CVT feel more automatic getting confused in first place but its also restricted to get the emmision levels so lowThe above is not top secret in fact it was in the brief when transmission were bieng designed in fact Nissan used to boast of its groundbreaking software to simulate the gear changesHas anyone downloaded windows twice on a PC in days when you used to format and re-instal etc sometimes even the updates actualy confuse a systemSadly the quick fix as they say would be allow the CVT to be a CVT but that then ruins the emmision levels etc Nissan need so is an absolute non starter so they need to write programs and manage a system that in itself is not the most reliable
PeterL

Post by PeterL »

Log in to the Forum and what do I see - an advert for this Company at the top of my screenhttp://www.cartuningclinic.co.ukI wonder if they know something Nissan don'T?
Tekna CVT 1.6 Magnetic Red - born 4/4/14 P/X 25/10/2015 for £19k with 12,000 on the clock - great car but time to change. No problems whatsoever in those 18 month's.
montimar

Post by montimar »

Donkey. Your last post has got me thinking. My CVT works just like a CVT without any fancy simulated gear changes, maybe they forgot to install the software to simulate the gear changes which is why it works so well? I'm getting 60 plus mpg so no complaints and it's a joy to drive.I did a long 70mph run on the M62 yesterday with the cruise control operating and the revs were rock steady.
April 2014 Acenta 1.6 Xtronic Blade Silver