Vibration/knocking sound

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Mark46

Post by Mark46 »

The knocking noise from the air box is a well known problem, mine was fixed at the dealers with self tapping screws, there was no charge for this botch......sorry I meant fix.
QQ 2014 (64) 1.5dci n-tec+ (gun metallic)
DRL mod & mud flaps.

chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

Just got back from a holiday in Cornwall - driving on some very narrow roads with high walls with the windows open reflected all the engine sounds back to me, and I noticed when I pull away under heavy load in 2nd gear I hear a few small rapidfire knocks lasting a second or two.

I drove up and down this road a few times to test it out - If I go up through the gears "normally", it doesn't happen. It's only if I really floor the throttle in 2nd gear.

On normal roads, you cannot hear it at all, it really needs the reflection back from a close wall to hear it - so for all I know it's been doing this for years. I'm suspecting it's just something like the heat shield or the intake pipe rattling more than normal when being floored. But it's tricky to figure it out when 99.9% of the time you don't hear it.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

I put a tie wrap around the connection between the airbox & intake pipe, problem fixed. Probably worth a shot as there is no damage done like with self tapping screws.
Mark46 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:31 pm The knocking noise from the air box is a well known problem, mine was fixed at the dealers with self tapping screws, there was no charge for this botch......sorry I meant fix.
Duvall1976
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Duvall1976 »

Ive had two reasons for this on my 65plate 1.2 QQ.
1. there is a nylon washer at the top if the Sus Strutt, its desigend to rotate with the Suss at low speed the "Clunk" I hear when moving the wheel is this simply locking into place...Hmmmm smells off.
2. To fix above problem they simply loosened all the suspension and tada it stopped...again smells funny

Could be the same for you.
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

I'm having the whole engine replaced tomorrow to fix my knocking sound! Turns out it was a little more serious than something a bit loose.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
Nick20
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Nick20 »

Hi Stevej
Did you manage to get the problem fixed as I'm experiencing the SAME?