Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
adszee

Post by adszee »

Hi all, Do any members have or know of any known problems with
the latest up to date 2015/16 QQ Xtronic 1.6 Tekna CVT boxes, please
post.Thanks,Adszee

adszee

Post by adszee »

Sorry, may be I was not clear enough I am only interested in the very latest's delivers of the QQ with the Xtronic CVT box as I understand that the 2015/16 models have had the latest improved CVT box and software so I would like to hear from any member who has one. Thanks,Adszee
TracyCK

Post by TracyCK »

I have got a 1.6 DCI CVT which I collected on April 15th. I have done about 700 miles now I think and haven't noticed any issues apart from a sort of lag and lurch from standstill that I have mentioned to the dealer. I don't know if it is normal but certainly, it is not as nippy pulling away as the 1.2 petrol CVT that I had for a week while waiting for mine.

For the driving that I do normally, it hasn't been much of an an issue but yesterday I was in a couple of spots where I needed to pull away quickly due to bank holiday traffic and I had a couple of moments that made me a little nervous. So I will definitely pop in to my dealer and let them take a look at it, run their diagnostics etc. Hopefully it is something that can be easily tweaked and not indicative of a real problem.
Ink Blue Acenta Premium 1.6 DCI Xtronic / Protection Pack / Williams Synthetic Coat / detachable towbar
Ordered 26/3/15 / Collection 15/4/15
adszee

Post by adszee »

Hi TracyCK,I hope that its just a small glitch and your diagnostics test goes ok I'm sure you are aware of some of the pass posts about the problems that I and other members have had with the Xtronic CVT boxes, so make sure you are happy with the tests that they do, let me now your results, good luck.
duncho

Post by duncho »

I have experienced the same lag as TracyCK. Nissan has no solution to fix this in my case. TracyCK, please let me know if you get it fixed or at least improved on your car. Thank you
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

I have cleaned up your threads and just left this. Please avoid asking the same question in multiple parts of the forum!
TracyCK

Post by TracyCK »

To be honest, I think it is something that I can live with if there is no further issues arriving from it as I am totally in love with the car in all other aspects. The stop start works really well and I don't think this affects or causes the lag on pulling away as I always lift my foot slightly off the brake to ensure the car is started before I attempt to pull out.

I am a fairly relaxed driver anyway and don't take too many chances so if I have to take extra time when it's busy to allow for the slow pulling away, then I guess that's what I will do, it's not really a problem for me.

I will post any updates after I see the dealer as I am planning to go in to have the automatic folding mirrors module fitted soon. :)
Ink Blue Acenta Premium 1.6 DCI Xtronic / Protection Pack / Williams Synthetic Coat / detachable towbar
Ordered 26/3/15 / Collection 15/4/15
Eddzilla

Post by Eddzilla »

Its interesting to see more people converned about the lag when pulling away and particularly that the 1.6 CVT is notably worse or different to the 1.2 CVT. I first mentioned it on this forum months ago and was advised that it was normal and characteristic of CVT. i took that onboard have tried adapting my driving style to counter its effect and to a large degree i have managed to do this. On the fly, you know its there but not really anything i can't live with. Around town it can be more difficult and frustrating.
However, and here's where i'm going with this, sometimes the lag is considerably longer when pulling away. I would say of all pull away from stationary situations, 20% are trouble free. I barely notice lag and it feels normal. About 70% of the time there is that annoying hesitation or delay from pressing the accelerator to the drive picking up. Frustrating, very sometimes, but not doing any harm.
Then there is the 10% of the time where the delay can be measured in seconds. It doesn't sound like long but you make loads of decisions and adjustments to the control of your car every second whilst driving. When this whole process stops, you know something isn't right and before you know it, the perfectly normal gap in the traffic is closing in on you. Its at this point the CVT fully engages and catapults the car forward. This is compounded by the fact that the car had started creeping forward slowly as soon as the brake is off and the accelerator is depressed putting you part way out of the junction or part way onto the roundabout.
My biggest issue with all of this is the random, unpredictable nature of the lag. You have no control over it and it is dangerous. I've had a couple of "excursions" which would not have happened had
I been on the clutch and connected with the car.

I'm booked in with the dealer for 12th June! 2nd June was the earliest available at the time of booking and that was last week. Its for a look see but half expect to be fobbed off. It was in about a month ago for service/recall work. They said there was another recall on file for the "CVT brain" or something. Needless to say this hasn't fixed it and i've had enough. I'm not saying there will be an accident but the risk is definately higher than it should be.
duncho

Post by duncho »

Eddzilla, it could be as you are saying that the gearbox behavor is not the same at all times. I thought and I'm still more less convinced that the lag depends on two factors:
- whether ECO Mode is ON or OFF
- degree of throttle pressed
More and faster you hit the gas, the bigger delay and uncontrolled kick off you get. The lag and kick is increased in all aspects when ECO Mode is ON. It's hard to measure, but sometimes it indeed is tough!
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
Eddzilla

Post by Eddzilla »

Hello Duncho.
I never run ECO mode so i could rule that out though it could make things worse i'm sure.
The accelerator pedal action is an interesting one. I have thought this myself. If you feather it, you will pull away generally smoothly but steadily. The trouble is that around town steady doesn't always work. Then the more pressing the situation, instinct tells you to press harder to go faster. I do now accelerate out of junctions and then back of the pedal as soon as i'm moving to prevent the surge in power taking me too far but this is not a normal way to drive.
S mode doesn't seem to help with the unpredictability.
Start/Stop does kick in randomly sometimes at the most inappropriate times and that can add to the lag but at least you can attribute a reason for the delay. I have run with Start/Stop dissabled but the problem remains.

One thing i have noted whilst i've been trying to find some logic as to why it is seemingly random and all i could come up with is that the engine revs vary. Sometjmes you can be driving along 40-50mph, back off the gas and the revs fall through the floor and sometimes they do not. When the revs have dropped, it takes longer for the drive to be taken up. It doesn't explain it all away but there may be something there.
The stepped "gearshift simulation" is probably root cause of alot of the issues. I'd rather be without it.
I'm also firmly of the opinion that the CVT
is being protected by software. Having its flaws masked. Who knows?