1.2 engine rattles at just over 2000rpm

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Summerjunk

Post by Summerjunk »

Engine replaced then the next day the new engine stopped working, couldn't make this stuff up!

Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

Oh dear... sorry to hear that :(
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
Summerjunk

Post by Summerjunk »

Thanks mate, have been very disappointed with the dealer. Still not had the car back since it broke down, it's now had a new ECU which hasn't fixed it so a new IPDM is required! probably up to about 10 grand now i reckon!
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Did they confirm what the cylinder problem was? Broken or worn rings? Was the timing chain previously loose then adjusted? Whats your current mileage?
Summerjunk

Post by Summerjunk »

gvmdaddy wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:20 am Did they confirm what the cylinder problem was? Broken or worn rings? Was the timing chain previously loose then adjusted? Whats your current mileage?
Think they mentioned worn ring causing oil loss, don't think they ever touched the chain, the remapped back in sept because of a rattle (this may have been the chain i cant remember) car has done 27k, previously reliable but a day after the new engine it broke down not seen the car for 2 weeks! Have you had similar problem gvmdaddy?
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

No, I'm a 1.5dci with no issues to date. Just trying to put 2 and 2 together from yours and previous posts. Looking at your video it does sound like the timing chain is rattling on the underside of its cover. Its easy for your dealer to adjust its tension. Easy to diagnose as well, just remove the cover then rev the engine, if there's no rattle then it is just a loose timing chain, if the rattle is still present then the issue lies elsewhere. That may be a job for your dealer though as im not sure how easy the access is to the timing chain cover.
You previously mentioned a 'remap'. This will not have any effect on the timing chain. It could have been one of two scenarios as well. The first would be to just reinstall the factory software on the ECU in case part of it was corrupt, or second option could have been a 'software fix' that was talked about approx 18 months ago. This related to 1.2 engines using a high amount of oil. Nissan were very slow to react to the problem and also very cagey with the way they dealt with customers on an individual basis. All sorts of theories were brought up and Nissan said it may be fixed by a software patch to alter various settings ie oil pressure, turbo boost pressure. Some had the fix applied and some ultimatley had either an engine rebuild or even a new engine fitted. There is another very lengthy post available that will give you a clearer picture.
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2780
Summerjunk

Post by Summerjunk »

Thanks for the info, makes for an interesting read. Yep i had the software fix you mentioned above which stopped the noise in the video. After this 'fix' they asked me to keep an eye on it! 3 months later and the noise started to come back and i realised my oil was down to about 2 litres. Somehow since the new engine everything else has been screwed up.
JukkaM
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by JukkaM »

Hi and greetings from Finland! I took my 1.2T to shop two days ago because of the rattling engine noise. After checking it, they told me that the engine has almost lost all of the oil. This has happened quite fast, since I check the oil level month before and it was fine.

They topped the oil up and the noice went away, but they said that they have asked new engine from the factory, because one of the cylinders have a scratch in it and the pressure is lower than in other cylinders.

They are not sure if the scratch is the reason for sudden oil loss or result of it. I bet on first.

Lähetetty minun STF-L09 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

JukkaM, firstly welcome and as it appears to be your 1st Post take a look at the attached post as this might be your problem. Try also using “Search” as there might well be some more comments - Dave :)

Just a Warning it is Long and Informative :

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2780&p=58084&hilit ... C2l#p58085
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
QQuestions
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by QQuestions »

When you say rattle, is it more of a flappy (or might I even say flatulent) kind of noise? I think I might have the same issue. Is it just a characteristic of the engine or is there something wrong?