1.2 DIG-T - Oil loss

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Percy

Post by Percy »

Hopefully they will get it fixed but it's a pain having to keep going back, guess our engines were on different lorries as mine is still not here and car is sounding worse by the day.
2016 1.2 Ink Blue with glass roof.

Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

^^ this is why I no longer own a QQ sorry to say! Got fed up of having to take it back... so I took it back and left it lol

Hopefully an easy and quick fix
Bladesilverqq

Post by Bladesilverqq »

Took the car back to the dealer and they found the exhaust was loose due to bolt working it's way loose on the drive home 🤔.
Anyway, they fixed it and the car sounds good again.
Took the car on a family day out and covered around 80 miles. The car felt a lot smoother with the new engine and pulled away from standstill with no flat spots. Average mpg was around 46 around town and 'A'. So all in all an improvement. Fingers crossed the car stays this way!
storagehunter
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by storagehunter »

How long are people waiting for engines for the Qashqai 1.2 DIG-T
my car went in on the 26th April 2017 and is now expected 25th July has anyone received compensation or even costs for the expense its caused?
Percy

Post by Percy »

I got my car back today, it went in on Monday, I waited about a month so about what was stated. My car is so much quieter, didn't realise how it had got. Seems to be a good job by the garage. Interestingly I asked if there are any changes between old engine and new one and they said no, I was just unlucky that the engine failed.
2016 1.2 Ink Blue with glass roof.
Holloway

Post by Holloway »

I've reported an oil loss problem to Nissan this past Monday. I have asked them to look into the problem by means of a leak down test rather than a compression test. Had a phone call about an hour ago to say that because I had the timing belt tension replaced (under warranty), that I would have to wait until the car had cover 3100 miles from today and then bring the car back. They also said in that time I should not top the oil up even if goes below minimum.

Of course by the time I've covered that amount of miles from today, the warranty would have expired. I asked as I've reported the problem within the warranty period, would it still be covered? The answer was no, but Nissan do a 'good will' process and will cover a portion of the costs.

The car is in having something else replaced under warranty so I will argue my point properly when I go to pick it up.

So disappointed with this car, it should have been so good but it's been nothing but trouble :(
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

Actually, they are very wrong and that you should be covered given you have reported the issue before..... in addition, telling you NOT to top up the oil even if it goes below minimum is just appalling! This should never be the case as the damage caused to the engine could result in more works needing to be done than already! I would suggest making contact with an alternative dealer?

Please ignore their 'don't top up below minimum advise', but do take it to them when it reaches minimum so the top up can be recorded. Keep your own notes as to when you have returned, what you have had done and what you were advised.

I would also start discussing this with Nissan customer services so they are aware of the advise being given by one of their representatives!
PJB729

Post by PJB729 »

I would ask Nissan to put this instruction in writing!!!!!!!!!

They also said in that time I should not top the oil up even if goes below minimum.

I think if your engine seized through lack of oil they would deny ever giving you such a stupid instruction, my definition of the word minimum is it means a level below which the oil should not be allowed to fall.
QQ 1.5dci Tekna 2016 Magnetic Red
QQ 1.5dci Tekna + 2019 Magnetic Red
QQ 1.5 e-power Tekna 2024 Fuji Sunset Red.
Bullyboy

Post by Bullyboy »

What awful advice on the oil level. Get it in writing from them and I would think that's as good as a warranty as they won't be able to wriggle out of that. Hope it gets sorted
All the best
Paul
NOW- Mini Clubman Cooper S ---- WAS a 16 plate Tekna 1.6 dig-t in Gunmetal with Pano Roof
Holloway

Post by Holloway »

Picked up the car this morning following a rear camera replacement and to follow up on the oil loss.

Rear camera was replaced with a new one and recalibrated. Seems to be working ok with no warnings or 'system failures'.

In terms of the oil loss, they basically said to bring it back after 3100 miles, when I asked for what I had been told previously in writing, the service manager and vehicle tech came out. They showed me a fault finding flow chart that they follow for reports of oil loss. The flow chart did state that it should be brought back after 3100 miles if there are no rattles coming from the engine. They wouldn't put it in writing or give me a copy of the flow chart as it is 'confidential'.

I did request for a cylinder leakage test to be done and they said they are not allowed to do that and can only do a compression test. I did push as to why and the answer was basically 'Nissan says so'. The tech did say that these oil losses are so bad that they usually show up on a compression test straight away. I would still think a leakage test would be better as it's specifically to check for cylinder leaks, but there you go.

I said that it would be bone dry by 3100 miles and I wouldn't drive it on empty as it would cause damage. The tech said to bring it back 3100 miles later or when it goes below minimum. They said the likely fix will be a replacement engine but may not see an improvement as these engines are known to burn oil.

My warranty runs out in two weeks and they assured me anything relating to this oil loss will be covered, but I'm not so sure.

I'm at the point now where I'm wondering if this is all worth it, do I keep the car and take it back again for what feels like the millionth time for them to put another engine in it and for it to be no better?

I'm seriously considering just selling up and putting it down to a huge mistake, I'm not sure I can invest any more time and energy arguing with Nissan anymore.