1.2 DIG-T - Oil loss

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
PJB729

Post by PJB729 »

I would email them you might get a formal written reply.
QQ 1.5dci Tekna 2016 Magnetic Red
QQ 1.5dci Tekna + 2019 Magnetic Red
QQ 1.5 e-power Tekna 2024 Fuji Sunset Red.

fullm
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by fullm »

Working through the flowchart posted a few pages back it looks like they've done it by the book, and that engine replacement is the recourse when the compression test values are wildly out of alignment. In cases like mine the timing chain is the end of the flow.
ABliss

Post by ABliss »

fullm wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:43 am Working through the flowchart posted a few pages back it looks like they've done it by the book, and that engine replacement is the recourse when the compression test values are wildly out of alignment. In cases like mine the timing chain is the end of the flow.
It is strange that a timing chain needs replaced because of the faulty engine. My timing chain and tensioner was replaced, but 5k miles later, the syptoms are back. Like yourself, my compression test came back OK (at 185 on each cylinder).

I would have thought that with the faulty piston ring, the compression test would show this?
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

ABliss wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:21 pm
fullm wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:43 am Working through the flowchart posted a few pages back it looks like they've done it by the book, and that engine replacement is the recourse when the compression test values are wildly out of alignment. In cases like mine the timing chain is the end of the flow.
It is strange that a timing chain needs replaced because of the faulty engine. My timing chain and tensioner was replaced, but 5k miles later, the syptoms are back. Like yourself, my compression test came back OK (at 185 on each cylinder).

I would have thought that with the faulty piston ring, the compression test would show this?
The timing chain sits in a chamber filled with oil. The faulty engine means that chamber gets starved of oil, so the timing chain rubs and starts to clatter around.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
PJB729

Post by PJB729 »

So changing the timing chain may only be addressing the symptoms?
QQ 1.5dci Tekna 2016 Magnetic Red
QQ 1.5dci Tekna + 2019 Magnetic Red
QQ 1.5 e-power Tekna 2024 Fuji Sunset Red.
fullm

Post by fullm »

Your situation doesn't fill me with confidence, if I'm honest. That said, I do about 5k miles in 6 months so I should know fairly quickly if the problem reoccurs which will give me time to get it back to Nissan before the car is five years old.
zezinho

Post by zezinho »

With my nearly 5yr old Qashqai & 40000 miles done, I’ve had every symptom going (battery failure, Connect Unit fault, regassed/condenser replaced/electrical glitches, recalls, etc) but now we have no oil in the engine and a judder/vibration in first gear pulling off.

I knew about the oil loss, so I’ve been checking the levels for a while and 6 days ago discovered no oil according to the dipstick! I don’t appear to have any unusual noises (rattle) coming from the engine – maybe caught it in time? Emailed Nissan central directly with oil loss issue, plus the judder I’ve had intermittently for 2 years, and highlighted the oil loss as a well-known issue (as in Qashqai forum, The Guardian article & Nissan technical bulletin).

Eventually got a booking with the local dealer do to diagnostic check early next week and managed to have a courtesy car organised by Nissan central as the car isn’t really driveable in the meantime, though I will have to drive it to the dealer carefully on the day.

Nissan central have been in contact with the dealership to organise the initial checks but don’t know what their outcome on the matter will be and support. The car has all the service history & repairs with Nissan dealers and am the second owner. I’ve since discovered even more information on these problems in Whatcar & HonestJohn website.

Goodness knows what awaits.

Qashqai 1.2 Dig-t, 64 Plate
fullm

Post by fullm »

Interesting that you got Nissan to take ownership of it from the start. I phoned them as a first port of call for my own issue and they wouldn't entertain the possibility of doing anything unless I took my car to a dealer and paid for a diagnostic first.
Virologue

Post by Virologue »

Hi, I have had a same problem with my nearly 4 year old 1.2 DIG-T. After a few months after buying it new from Nissan, the timing belt had an issue, they replaced it, but replaced it badly so it needed to go back in to be tightened. In doing whatever they needed to do they didn't replace all the screws in the base plate, which then came loose almost causing an accident. The entertainment system has sporadicially rebooting itself every 10 or so minutes (although not picked up by my Nissan dealer at any service despite pointing it out to them), and finally 2 weeks ago the engine light came on and 30 seconds later the car came to a grinding halt, RAC did a roadside diagnosis and said that all 4 cylinders had misfired. RAC dropped it into the dealership and today I was told by a mechanic that 2 of the cylinders aren't maintaining compression and one of the ends of a spark plug had been sliced/worn off... and I might need a new engine. I have no real idea of what to do. I called the Nissan dealership every day this week, each time being promised a call back that never came. The car was last serviced by the dealership about 8 months ago, and went out of its 3 year warranty about 6 months ago. It seems clear that all of the issues are interlinked and that this is a Nissan issue. Any advice from anyone on how to deal with the situation? I am looking into the motor ombudsman and small claim courts route should they refuse to cover the costs in repairing it as the car has had issues from the start, their repairs have been shoddy and the car as bought new in 2016. The customer service has been shocking too, making getting any answers impossible. Does anyone have advice on how best to proceed. Many thanks.
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forum.

All I can advise is to read through the relevant posts on here.

BTW for the sake of correctness you said "the timing belt had an issue, they replaced it" - it's a chain not a belt - but the same scenario obviously.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)