1.2 DIG-T - Oil loss

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
david sunderland

Post by david sunderland »

In 40 years of doing oil checks this is the worst dipstick...your right oil everywhere ....
Qashqai tekna 1.2 petrol dig 6. 3. 17. gunmetal grey. glass roof m\ t...............now RENAULT KADJAR GT 160 BHP same as the QQ same car

david sunderland

Sorry 52 years leaded petrol numbs the brain .... And spray fumes....
Qashqai tekna 1.2 petrol dig 6. 3. 17. gunmetal grey. glass roof m\ t...............now RENAULT KADJAR GT 160 BHP same as the QQ same car
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Agreed its not the best. Thats the result of using the same opening to top up the oil as hold the dipstick. My previous vehicles have been seperate. That said, when topping up it takes a fair while to settle. I leave the dipstick out for 20 mins after topping up, then re dip and it doesnt then come out fully coated.
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

Has anyone with a 2014/5 1.2- dig-T got down and had a look if their sump pan gasket seals are dry as a bone or quite oily?

I had a look at mine and it was quite oily at the rear corner nearest the drivers side wheel. I think when the engine is off, all the oil is below this seal so would only ever leak when the engine is running.

I think every car I've ever had has had an oily sump seal to some extent, so not sure if this is an actual problem or just one of those things. It's still well above halfway between min and max on the dipstick (probably 2/3), some 8000 miles and 10 months since the last oil change.

Took a photo for reference, easy to see if you park with your wheel at full lock to the left and you can just peer in behind. I had just wiped it all down so it's nice and dry and clean, so I can monitor it before the 3rd service 1st MOT due in October.

IMAG1625.jpg

Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

I have mentioned this elsewhere but yesterday we had the Major Service done (no oil change) after 7000kms and the Dealer added only 0,3L as a top up and No leakage problem - Dave :)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

A major service and they didn't do an oil change? I thought an oil change was part of every service, major or minor?

Anyway, I checked after a couple of days since I took that photo and when I run my finger along the sump pan joint I come away with a slight oiliness, so does look like oil is weeping out there. Not leaking as such as there's no evidence of anything on the floor/tray below.

It appears to be weeping from this corner...

s-l500.jpg

That's a photo of a J11 pan I found on ebay. The interesting thing is that they don't use a traditional gasket between pan and engine these days, they squirt a line of sealant all around ( you can just make out where the sealant was on that photo as you can see the darker line ). As they use sealant, then there is a potential that there is a tiny gap, especially where the bolt holes are concerned. Again on the ebay photo the line where the sealant was doesn't go right up to the bolt hole where I'm getting the seepage.

As there's a bolt hole where it's weeping, then it may just need a bit of tightening. Whether I can physically get to that bolt to tighten it is a different question...

That corner is the only corner I can actually see/touch from outside the car (behind the drivers wheel), so it could be weeping all around and I wouldn't know unless I get properly underneath and remove the covers.

I'm still not really concerned about this as it's just weeping not leaking, and not really affecting the level of oil even approaching the next change (probably because as can be seen the sump is quite deep so the oil probably sits below the weepy point when the engine is off). However the 3rd service is due soon and it's under warranty so I'll definitely mention I've noticed the engine is a bit oily down at the sump to them.
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Chris, I fully understand your concern and thanks but it is under control !
I have posted elsewhere that of the 4 Nissan's we have had and due to the low kms / mileage we do (this time 7000kms) this point is always discussed with our Dealer. I am not tight and would gladly have the oil and filter changed but I do also trust our Nissan Dealer's comments, also I have been in the maintenance game long enough to know the possible problems - Dave :)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
david sunderland

gvmdaddy wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:15 pm Agreed its not the best. Thats the result of using the same opening to top up the oil as hold the dipstick. My previous vehicles have been seperate. That said, when topping up it takes a fair while to settle. I leave the dipstick out for 20 mins after topping up, then re dip and it doesnt then come out fully coated.
Your idea works just need somewhere level to park for a while...do not think I have used any...now 5 mths old 3.500 miles. Ave 35 mpg happy with the car ...now sometimes use SS when it suits....as you know the car needs to driven on the turbo. 2000 rpm and 4000 and it goes great...david
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

gvmdaddy wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:15 pm Agreed its not the best. Thats the result of using the same opening to top up the oil as hold the dipstick. My previous vehicles have been seperate. That said, when topping up it takes a fair while to settle. I leave the dipstick out for 20 mins after topping up, then re dip and it doesnt then come out fully coated.
Is there more than one type of 1.2 dig-T engine, because mine does have a separate dipstick opening to the main top up opening?
david sunderland

Mine dipsticks not even in the handbook photos .....if it takes a while to drain down some must still in when you change oil because dealers won't wait to get the dirty oil all out.....