1.2 DIG-T - Oil loss

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Neo29

Post by Neo29 »

do the recent delivered cars also have this problem or was it only cars build in a certain period?

bigk

Post by bigk »

This is an interesting question! There seems to be quite a spread of manufacture dates involved ranging from early ones to those built quite a bit later (like mine, December 2014). I don't know if any 2015 models have been affected without looking through the last 17 pages of this thread but I suspect there are. I would have expected engines to be affected during a narrow timescale but this does not seem to be the case. It seems very hit and miss as to whether your engine is affected and ranges between no oil usage, excessive oil usage and catastrophic oil usage where an engine replacement is required (in only a very few cases as far as we know). I hope nissan come up with reasons/solutions for this problem soon but I'm not holding my breath!
QQ 1.2 CONNECT With Panoramic Sunroof Vivid Blue December 2017
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

I have read the Pulsar Forum info`that Splank (Steve) mentioned but I had not read this Juke Forum one (in case it has not been read here it is) - Dave ;) :

http://www.jukeownersgroup.com/oil-leak ... page1.html
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
jet

Post by jet »

New engine software is coming soon to minimize oil consumption. If it does not solve the problem then piston rings will need to be replaced.
Recent vehicles might be affected as well, so it is generally a good idea to keep an eye on oil level.
1.5 dCi MT Premium
QQ013

Post by QQ013 »

New engine software is coming soon to minimize oil consumption.
Interesting.. a software miracle to solve a hardware problem.. i do not think this will work ;)
QQ 1.6Dig-T Tekna
jackdaww

Post by jackdaww »

[quote="jet"]New engine software is coming soon to minimize oil consumption.

as far as i know , oil systems are completely passive , with no variables and not controlled by anything .

whoever floated this really thinks we are all born yesterday .
Qashqai acenta 1.2 petrol xtronic jan2016 - flame red - no bells and whistles.

previous , now departed , Primera 2l petrol cvt 2001 147000 faultless miles.
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

If the oil pump is electric (I don't know about this, ive not checked BUT don't forget it could be difference between the Juke and QQ) then there in theory could be a method in which it could be controlled to reduce the pressure.

Reducing the pressure from the oil pump would only work if the oil was getting past a seal through the supply feeds however. Once its in the head, gravity then takes over for it to drain back! Wont fix the problem if its piston related!
jackdaww

Post by jackdaww »

good idea , but i would be very surprised if there is an electric motor driving the oil pump , and what would be the point ?

ps i know more about steam loco's than cars !

jet

Post by jet »

QQ013 wrote:
New engine software is coming soon to minimize oil consumption.
Interesting.. a software miracle to solve a hardware problem.. i do not think this will work ;)
Exactly my first thought :D
Indeed, we have seen it with many other manufacturers, so it is not new. With so many sensors for virtually anything on the engine, it does not seem impossible.

The new software aims to increase inlet manifold pressure thus minimizing the fluttering of the piston rings. I assume that Nissan replaced a few engines earlier this year so that they could thoroughly investigate the issue before coming up with a solution.
Time will show if it works or not.
1.5 dCi MT Premium
jackdaww

Post by jackdaww »

""The new software aims to increase inlet manifold pressure thus minimizing the fluttering of the piston rings""

if that were the case , i believe increasing the pressure would also have a big effect on power output and fuel consumption , not to mention emmissions .
its not 01april is it ?