1.2 DIG-T - Oil loss

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
bigk

Post by bigk »

Really interested in hearing the outcome of this. My dealer up in Cumbria says he has heard about this excessive oil usage from other dealers but says that they have seen no problems (other than my own) at their dealership.
I was at the showroom yesterday asking them to work out some figures with a view to possibly changing to either a 1.5 diesel or 1.6DigT (although I suppose this engine is just a larger version of the 1.2 and may turn out to also use excess oil). I know this sounds drastic and I stand to lose a lot but what price peace of mind? I probably won't do it because I'm sure it will be too much of a bitter pill to swallow but you shouldn't have to worry about things like this with a new car even though it is under warranty.
QQ 1.2 CONNECT With Panoramic Sunroof Vivid Blue December 2017

Stoopaman

Post by Stoopaman »

So a litre of oil every 1400 miles is normal according to my dealer!! Uh no I don't think so, I'm so glad this is a lease car and won't be returning to a Nissan again!
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

hhmmm...

Checked my oil as I was heading to the other office (car has been sat for 2hrs, nice and cool and perfectly flat - struggle to get this elsewhere and always forget when going home!). Its hardly lost a drop now! Yes, its a smidge under the full mark. Its been 2-3k now since I had it topped up so at this point I should have seen a significant drop, enough to see it heading towards the half way mark.

Odd... very odd. Will keep pushing my dealer however and keep this to myself for now.
bigk

Post by bigk »

That's good to know. Maybe they use oil when bedding in and then oil usage slows down to what I would call "normal" or is this wishful thinking? It will be very interesting to see what explanation Nissan come back with!
Splink

Post by Splink »

SplanK wrote: ... car has been sat for 2hrs, nice and cool and perfectly flat.
I've noticed that there is a higher dipstick reading after the car has been left standing; about 1/6 the distance between marks. After service the oil level on mine was above the top mark when checked after standing overnight. Even so, allowing for the differences in forecourt and parked levels, your car is now better than 12,000 miles per litre.
1.2 DIG-T Acenta 2014
mackemboy

Post by mackemboy »

Hi all, I have had oil problems with my 2014 Qashqai 1.2DIG-T Acenta since Christmas when I checked it and found there was no oil on dipstick. Been backwards and forwards to dealer who have been monitoring the problem and got confirmation today that they are going to change the engine. Told there is a three week delivery from Japan for engines and my dealer is fully aware of this oil problem.

All I can say to people with similar problems is to keep on at the dealers who are fully aware of the problem, dont let them fob you off.
bigk

Post by bigk »

Well, the end of October has come and gone and there doesn't seem to be any more news of the technical bulletin which was supposed to be coming out before the end of last month. Dealers are being very coy about what they know and about giving out information to their customers. Likewise, Nissan themselves must be quite loathe to comment because of potential recalls and damage to the reputation of this particular engine and future sales of the Qashqai but having this issue hanging over us is certainly making me feel jittery until I know what we are dealing with.

I really like the Qashqai. It is comfortable and has all the features I need and then some so it's a shame that this oil issue sours things slightly.

So if anyone has any more info on the subject (SplanK ?) I am sure that quite a number of people following this thread would be interested.
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

Nope, no further news and just scratching my head as to what I can actually do other than sit on my hands and hope that my oil loss has stopped...

I suppose I could request a meeting with my dealer, however the other problem is I simply do not have the time at the moment to push forward with anything! Between the kids, work and trying to push forward with decorating our new house, the car is the last thing on my mind to be fair other than the odd email... As to how far a meeting would actually get me as well, I think I would get further if I just spoke to a brick wall. the only options available really are:

1. Wait for a fix whilst Nissan offer free top ups as and when needed between services.
2. Trade in the car at a discounted rate.

For me, its only 1. I cant afford to replace the car with another car just yet
jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

mackemboy wrote:Hi all, I have had oil problems with my 2014 Qashqai 1.2DIG-T Acenta since Christmas when I checked it and found there was no oil on dipstick. Been backwards and forwards to dealer who have been monitoring the problem and got confirmation today that they are going to change the engine. Told there is a three week delivery from Japan for engines and my dealer is fully aware of this oil problem.

All I can say to people with similar problems is to keep on at the dealers who are fully aware of the problem, dont let them fob you off.
Strange they are telling you there is a three week wait for the new engine from Japan, why would it come from Japan when the engine is a Renault unit, surely they would not send the newly built engine from France to Japan to send it back to Sunderland would they ?

I check my oil every weekend, touch wood not even opened the 5 litre 5-40w oil I purchased 15 months ago as not a drop has been needed after 14500 miles, apart from the oil change at the first service.
QQ 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White. Chromed front lip finisher,Side Sills,Glass Finisher, Lower Trunk Finisher, White Side mouldings, White AlloyGaytors, Wind Deflectors
Cross Over Pack, auto fold mirrors
Beardyman

Post by Beardyman »

The last two cars that I had from new (Mazda, Mercedes) didn't use any oil between services over the 4-6 years I owned them. To be honest, I've got out of the habit of checking the oil apart from before and after long journeys. Having kept an eye on this thread I check the oil last month and, with my first year service coming up, I checked it over the weekend. So far no oil loss/usage at all.

Fingers crossed it stays that way after the service eh?
1.2 DiG-T TEKNA petrol manual panoramic, nightshade. Easy-Lift bonnet gas strut kit.
QDay 28.11.2014