1.2 DIG-T - Oil loss

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

If you read the FAQ, DPF type oil is a requirement, as well as 5w30 being the ideal oil stated in the handbook so they are indeed correct.

Different grades can be used depending upon the use of the engine, and yu will find both 5w30 and 5w40 is suitable for most. The question is at the moment, have Nissan screwed up with bad piston matching meaning that 5w40 is needed to prevent oil loss? Who knows!

AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

Mines still on the "1,000" mile official measurement test.
For the first 500 miles it used no oil (or not that you could see) and i was wondering if i had imagined an issue.

Over the last 310 it's used 1/4 of a litre (based on the dipstick).
That would be in line with what i'd complained about to the dealer (just over half a litre every 2K miles).
Nissan no more...
Deleted User 759

That's interesting AlleyCat - have you changed you driving style between no loss and loss?

I must admit, my driving style has changed, so rather than sitting at 65mph on the motorway to work, I now hit the A and B roads instead with a lot more stop/start traffic (not engine stop/start mind)
pmg

Post by pmg »

All very interesting.

I used 1 litre of oil in the first 3500 miles. On finding out, i went to the dealer who gave me Nissan 5w40 motor oil based on the car registration. Topped it up but after the dealer did some tests a new engine was ordered. Whilst waiting for the engine i did a further 3000 miles with no loss of oil. Was it the 5w40 ? Who knows.

I informed NIssan of this before the new engine was installed, but they insisted it needed a replacement engine based on dealer's compression tests.

Engine changed and have the car back. All well so far
AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

SplanK wrote:That's interesting AlleyCat - have you changed you driving style between no loss and loss?

I must admit, my driving style has changed, so rather than sitting at 65mph on the motorway to work, I now hit the A and B roads instead with a lot more stop/start traffic (not engine stop/start mind)
Off the top of my head i haven't really done much that is different.
The only really different thing i've done is about 100 miles of "twisty" backroad stuff but i'm far from a lead foot these days.

Really I would say the biggest change is the weather (that and i cleaned the car :D ).
I've had the heater/AC on a lot more recently and the traffic has been somewhat slower.
Nissan no more...
bigk

Post by bigk »

I don't know if this has been mentioned before (not going to wade through 17 pages!) but I have been on the Pulsar Forum and they also have had excessive oil usage on some 1.2 dig-t engines with at least one engine replacement (bearing in mind that this is a very new model). One posting member gave the explanation of the the cause as follows; that the clip holding the gudgeon pin had scored the bore(s) of the cylinders thus causing oil to seep past the pistons (hence the excessive oil usage). I have to state here that I am no mechanic and am just reporting on what I saw on the Forum!

I have to say that after almost a year of ownership, I still enjoy driving the car. It is comfortable and the cabin is a good place to be in. The engine is smooth and I haven't been blighted by some of the problems that others have had. However, because my engine has used what I consider to be excessive oil, it has soured the owning experience!

My dealer is denying that there is any problem and doesn't seem willing to do anything other than "monitor the situation" and there don't seem to be any comments coming from Nissan about the situation which is frustrating to say the least! I don't think I should be having to check the oil every five minutes in this day and age or have to buy a can of oil so I can keep topping the engine up (haven't had to do that for many many years) . In fact I genuinely can't remember the last time I had to top the engine oil up between services.

I even made enquiries about p/exing for a 1.6dig-t but the money I stood to lose was eye watering!

All I can do for the moment is to keep going , keep battling away and hope that Nissan come up with some kind of solution (if they ever admit there is a problem!). At least the car has a 3yr warranty!!
QQ 1.2 CONNECT With Panoramic Sunroof Vivid Blue December 2017
Deleted User 759

Yep, seen and linked Same as the Juke owner who are having the same problem.

Todays Nissan update
Dear Mr SplanK,

I have been keeping an eye on the release of the bulletin, currently this is still pending and I have been unable to get a committed date for this, I will continue to track this and will be in touch with you again shortly to give you another update.

Many thanks for your continued patience.
So its gone from 'yep, will be out at the end of Oct' to 'no idea when'

great...

regards the 3 year warranty. Because the fault exists BEFORE the warranty is up, and as long as you have notified Nissan of the problem, then you are covered outside of this period. Nissan a have more or less admitted there is a problem despite using the 'its within spec' line countless times, but are keeping sthum as to the exact details and the fix.

So far it seems to revolve around 'bad pistons', or more specifically, not matching pistons to bores with some being quite bad compared to others. Although the claim is that Nissan say that the pistons are within tolerance regardless and should not really cause too much of an issue, however we have seen some catastrophic oil loss situation leading to oil loss and even loss of cylinder compression.

Note owners suggestion.... given that I have not seen anything further regarding this, its plausible that this is an unfortunate single instance.
paplane

Post by paplane »

I assumme you all saw this in Whatcar december?

Screenshot_2015-11-30-11-41-52.png

Deleted User 759

Nope, and its a shame that Auto car didn't do a quick google to research the story to find this topic before publishing!
AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

Mine has now "Officially" had the 1000 mile test period .
The results are pretty much as per before.
1/4 litre loss for every 1000 miles traveled.

The dealer has logged the information with Nissan and have asked me to perform a further 1000 mile check to see if the usage remains consistent.
They have confirmed there is no oil leakage.

As it stands it's pretty much status quo but if it does deteriorate then at least it's logged and benchmarked.
Nissan no more...