1.2 DIG-T - Oil loss

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

gvmdaddy wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 10:30 pm
chrisw99 wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 9:30 pm After reading what I put in my last post... "immediately after or during running a significant amount of oil can be ‘hung up’ in the engine and the level will appear lower than if it has been sat for a little while", I did a test.

I normally check it about 2 hrs after I get home from work, and I did this again last night and it was about 5-6mm below the max mark.

But I then checked again today after it had been sat a full 24 hours, and it was only 2mm below the max mark.

So it looks like at lot of oil does get "hung up" and takes a very long time to settle in this engine.
An hour or two is sufficient for all of the oil to make its way to its lowest level.
Not what I'm experiencing, tried it 3 days on the trot now. Even later checks yesterday, 3-4 hrs after engine off in the evening and noted the level. Then this morning a good couple of mm higher.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T

chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

Just got back from a weeks holiday in Cornwall, 900 mile round trip. Topped the oil up to the MAX mark before I set off.

Got back and it's about a third of the way down. So probably used 300-400ml in 900 miles. Most of that was high speed motorway travelling which I don't normally do, so not sure if that consumes more.

Also noticed due to the high hedges down there where sound reflects back that I get a short rattle/knock burst when pulling away in 2nd gear. I have found a couple of identical rattles on youtube that 100% matches the sound I get , and they were timing chain tensioner issues. (Although those were occurring in idle and easily audible - mine only happens under load and only noticeable when you are somewhere with a reflective surface to hear it).

Early in this thread, chain tensioner issues were listed as one possible consumer of the oil, so maybe that's what's happening. Got it booked in for Thursday for investigation. (Glad I took out the 2 year extended warranty now, as I've just entered the 2nd year).
catnash

Post by catnash »

That's the same oil useage as mine did. 1500ml per 3000 miles. The mechanic I spoke to said they're getting a lot coming back for service where there's not much oil at service. He said owners were shocked when told they should check oil. Not at service. He let slip he's never seen engines use so much oil and owners don't look after the cars.
1.2 Auris TS, Yaris 1.5.
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

I don't actually mind topping up regularly if it's just standard consumption, I was reading about how to improve fuel efficiency, they have decreased the size of some parts of the piston/valves (not QQ - modern cars in general), and so some oil naturally seeps past and just gets burned off - but at the gain of much better mpg. And oil is much much cheaper than petrol. But for some reason manufacturers are loathe to tell customers this because everyone thinks a modern car should be maintenance free.

But now I've heard the rattle I'm sure something else is going on.

Has anyone who's had work done for this issue , all the way up to engine replacements, had it done under the extended warranty rather than the original warranty?

I was checking all the T&Cs of the Cared4 warranty and I can't see any reason why any of this wouldn't be covered. The only difference is I have a warranty limit up to the price of the car when I bought it (£14,750).
catnash

Post by catnash »

When I spoke to NCS, they told me any issues with engine they did say there'll be a 2 year warranty on top of the 3 years. When the garage said normal to use about a litre in 3000 miles I would have had to take the car back again in 2 1/2 months and my wife lost confidence in it being reliable. She has also reported it stalls on emergency stops/sharp breaking...
1.2 Auris TS, Yaris 1.5.
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Hi Chris,

Where most of the civilised world reside, oil is not cheaper than petrol. Assuming your talking about engine oil and not crude oil. :)

Forgive, Just makes me feel better. I'm sure you meant oil cost per mile of driving is less than the saving to be made running an efficient engine.
chrisw99 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:11 pm And oil is much much cheaper than petrol
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

Daewar wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:58 am Hi Chris,

Where most of the civilised world reside, oil is not cheaper than petrol. Assuming your talking about engine oil and not crude oil. :)

Forgive, Just makes me feel better. I'm sure you meant oil cost per mile of driving is less than the saving to be made running an efficient engine.
chrisw99 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:11 pm And oil is much much cheaper than petrol
Yeah cost per mile. Assuming 12000 miles per year at 34 mpg = 352 gallons. If increased pistion efficiency causes oil to be burned but adds 1 mpg = 342 gallons. 10 gallons of fuel saving = 45 litres = almost £60. Compared to a couple of £6 top up bottles a year. And from what I read it could be adding up to 3 or 4 mpg efficiency so could be talking hundreds.

Although have to offset that against manufacturers not telling consumers their engines burn more oil - engines running dry - bang!
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

To think they don't fit an oil level indicator in a car they know consumes more oil due to its design. Goes to show what Nissan think of people who buy their products. I foolishly thought Nissan was a quality Japanese brand, but in reality its French :(
chrisw99 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:19 pm Although have to offset that against manufacturers not telling consumers their engines burn more oil - engines running dry - bang!
catnash

Post by catnash »

As soon as I bought it and saw Renault in the engine bay I knew there's be trouble...
1.2 Auris TS, Yaris 1.5.
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

Confirmed, I need a new timing chain after going in to investigate the rattle.

Was told 1000s have had to have it done.