1.2 DIG-T - Oil loss

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
duncho

Post by duncho »

Reading this Oil loss thread makes me feel like back in 70's - 80's when fiddling with oil level probe was common "before to drive" routine :)
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!

Muiramas

Post by Muiramas »

jonceebee wrote:
mackemboy wrote:Hi all, I have had oil problems with my 2014 Qashqai 1.2DIG-T Acenta since Christmas when I checked it and found there was no oil on dipstick. Been backwards and forwards to dealer who have been monitoring the problem and got confirmation today that they are going to change the engine. Told there is a three week delivery from Japan for engines and my dealer is fully aware of this oil problem.

All I can say to people with similar problems is to keep on at the dealers who are fully aware of the problem, dont let them fob you off.
Strange they are telling you there is a three week wait for the new engine from Japan, why would it come from Japan when the engine is a Renault unit, surely they would not send the newly built engine from France to Japan to send it back to Sunderland would they ?

I check my oil every weekend, touch wood not even opened the 5 litre 5-40w oil I purchased 15 months ago as not a drop has been needed after 14500 miles, apart from the oil change at the first service.

The 1.2/6 is made in Japan by Aichi Kikai, welcome to the world of crazy supply chains.

@ mackemboy - What kind of oil consumption where you getting before your MD said they would replace the engine? You just said that you checked it, it was dry, then you got a replacement after some back and fourth...

Myself, used just under 2 litres over the first 12k miles, no oil used over the last 1.5k.
jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

Muiramas wrote:
jonceebee wrote:
mackemboy wrote:Hi all, I have had oil problems with my 2014 Qashqai 1.2DIG-T Acenta since Christmas when I checked it and found there was no oil on dipstick. Been backwards and forwards to dealer who have been monitoring the problem and got confirmation today that they are going to change the engine. Told there is a three week delivery from Japan for engines and my dealer is fully aware of this oil problem.

All I can say to people with similar problems is to keep on at the dealers who are fully aware of the problem, dont let them fob you off.
Strange they are telling you there is a three week wait for the new engine from Japan, why would it come from Japan when the engine is a Renault unit, surely they would not send the newly built engine from France to Japan to send it back to Sunderland would they ?

I check my oil every weekend, touch wood not even opened the 5 litre 5-40w oil I purchased 15 months ago as not a drop has been needed after 14500 miles, apart from the oil change at the first service.

The 1.2/6 is made in Japan by Aichi Kikai, welcome to the world of crazy supply chains.

@ mackemboy - What kind of oil consumption where you getting before your MD said they would replace the engine? You just said that you checked it, it was dry, then you got a replacement after some back and fourth...

Myself, used just under 2 litres over the first 12k miles, no oil used over the last 1.5k.
Intersting to know the engine is manufactured in Japan, I wonder why it is different to the actual Renault one used in the Kadjar as their 1.2T is rated at 130bhp, in relation to the 115bhp of the QQ
QQ 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White. Chromed front lip finisher,Side Sills,Glass Finisher, Lower Trunk Finisher, White Side mouldings, White AlloyGaytors, Wind Deflectors
Cross Over Pack, auto fold mirrors
Davo

Post by Davo »

Well I have had my QQ back from the dealers with its new 1.2 engine , for about 3weeks now.
All seems ok , I definitely have noticed better performance at the lower end and fuel efficiency
seems to have improved . Fingers crossed this is the end of such an annoying saga , back & forth
to dealer and phones calls to Nissan .
Anyone who is experiencing this problem , I would suggest going straight to the Directors Level , there is a problem
with some of these engines , don't let your dealer palm you off
Muiramas

Post by Muiramas »

jonceebee wrote:Intersting to know the engine is manufactured in Japan, I wonder why it is different to the actual Renault one used in the Kadjar as their 1.2T is rated at 130bhp, in relation to the 115bhp of the QQ
Not sure about the gearbox or its gearing on the Renault, but assuming the engine is identical, which it almost certainly is, the difference will come down to the engine mapping. For example, even the QQ 1.2 manual has a different map to the 1.2 xtronic, with the latter having slightly less ps/torque - but its a better match to the transmission.

Seems like the extra bhp is reflected in an ever so slightly worse combined economy of 48mpg, which also suggests its down to the map. I guess Renault have a sportier ethos.
Stoopaman

Post by Stoopaman »

So after months of being told I'm imagining my car uses to much oil!, 1 litre to 1400 miles!! They agreed to do a compression test to which they concluded it needs a new engine!
Thank you very much platinum Nissan of Trowbridge I told you I wasn't imagining it!
It's 2015 not 1973 we should not need to top up oil that often unless it's a 2 stroke!
To everybody else experiencing any oil loss issues, keep on at your dealer until they do something
bigk

Post by bigk »

Sorry you're having so much trouble and the fact that the dealer thinks you're imagining it makes it even worse! At least they have finally admitted that there is a problem and are doing something about it! Another contributor on here has had a new engine fitted and says that the new engine seems to run better than the old one and is slightly more economical.
Did the dealer say what he thought the problem was after the compression test and the conclusion that it needed a new engine? In partially answering my own question, I can only presume that there was unequal compression on the cylinders but why?

I spoke to the service manager at my dealers on Wednesday and he said that they had not received any bulletins from Nissan about oil usage but would let me know if anything came through!!

Meanwhile i am waiting to see if it uses more oil and if i am ultimately going to need a new engine like you(although at this stage i am using nowhere as much oil as you were). I didn't buy this £23k car to concern myself with stuff like this. I just want to get on and drive it!!
QQ 1.2 CONNECT With Panoramic Sunroof Vivid Blue December 2017
Stoopaman

Post by Stoopaman »

Hi, the dealers said that the pistons are to small for the cylinders and that oil is seeping through same with the fuel!
I've also now got the dreaded tyre pressure light on so that's another trip to the dealers as that can only be turned off by their diagnostic kit! The fun never ends with this car!, I'm glad I went for PCP and this car will go straight back to them as soon as I can get it gone! They have said they will take it back early as I'm really not happy!
bigk

Post by bigk »

Yes, I don't blame you for wanting to give it back! The shame is that the Qashqai is a good car in so many ways. It is comfortable and good to drive but is let down by niggly faults which can usually be sorted by the dealer. However, this engine problem is a whole different ball game!

What are you going for next? Another Qashqai with a different engine (perhaps 1.6Dig-t) or a different make altogether?
QQ 1.2 CONNECT With Panoramic Sunroof Vivid Blue December 2017
travelusa
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by travelusa »

Hi All
Your getting worried
Have not noticed any of the oil losses you have had.
Just Ord to up
So far 18 months down the line only fault is the blind for the Glass roof not going back as it should do
Needs to go in for about 4 days to have a look and resolve by the team at West way nissan at Hanwell
Got to get around to make the appointment.
Also have done 21000 miles to like driving my one
1.2 acenta premium
Car is a 1.3 Nov 2018 160 bhp DCT with 19inch wheels.
Now car is 1.3 Jul 2021 160 cvt Tekna with 19 inch wheels ink blue.
now Car is 1.3 Jan 2024 160 bhp tekna with 19 inch wheels Mag Blue