1.2 DIG-T - Oil loss

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

^^ I got that fed up with mine I got rid of it. Problem after problem, even after the engine was swapped, hence I am not driving around in a Pulsar 1.6 DIG-T now.

Just follow their guidance about the ~3000 mile drive and go back in when it gets to the low line and take it from there. Mine was burning 1L ~ 8000 miles, but I had the privileged of having a good service desk manager who was able to push through a replacement short block for me.
I asked about a leak down and compression test, again they were turned down but the service desk manager did explain why he thought it might not show anything up anyway (a compression/leak down test will not always show a oil loss past the piston rings).

My replacement short block didn't appear to be using any oil (well, ignoring the external oil leak getting past the oil pressure sensor anyway!!).. however with the air con going as well as that leak, I had had enough, lost all confidence in the car and was expecting some large bills heading my way so cut my losses and traded it in whilst it still had some value left!

PJB729

Post by PJB729 »

Its a pain in the backside when issues cannot be fully resolved
QQ 1.5dci Tekna 2016 Magnetic Red
QQ 1.5dci Tekna + 2019 Magnetic Red
QQ 1.5 e-power Tekna 2024 Fuji Sunset Red.
Barnaby

Post by Barnaby »

Just to UPDATE on my QQ with the high oil use. This work was done through 2016.
That sounds a bit like the song about "Jake with the extra leg" diddle diddle dum.

UPDATE. high oil use + some noise spotted in first 3 months.
garage topped up and said monitor. [that's another problem trying the dip stick accurately]
Still high use so re-map offered and done, said they thought the noise was down to the ring flutter.
Still noisy and still using too much oil in my opinion.
Then said needs timing chain replacement.
Timing chain replaced and since then oil use is very low. BIGGEST EFFECT WAS HAD IN CHANGING THE TIMING CHAIN.

The dealer and their service dept. all agree that reading the dip-stick is a pain in the ass. It's impossible to read accurately.
At the very start of my problems I got the vehicle logged into Nissan's head office complaints and was given a Ref number just incase.
That was done on my solicitors advice likewise keeping all paper work associated with it.

So right now it seems all a go go.

Best
December 2015 !.2 DIG-T Xtronic Pearl Black TEKNA
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

Best way I read the dip stick was letting the car sit on the works flat car park all day then taking a reading straight away.
david sunderland

Post by david sunderland »

My drive has a slope so I check first thing in the morning when car was one day old checked oil on drive and it showed half way between marks so as long as it remains the same then no oil been used best checked first thing .
Qashqai tekna 1.2 petrol dig 6. 3. 17. gunmetal grey. glass roof m\ t...............now RENAULT KADJAR GT 160 BHP same as the QQ same car
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

david sunderland wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:30 pm My drive has a slope so I check first thing in the morning when car was one day old checked oil on drive and it showed half way between marks so as long as it remains the same then no oil been used best checked first thing .
Assuming you park in the same direction as the initial reading!
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

david sunderland wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:30 pm My drive has a slope so I check first thing in the morning when car was one day old checked oil on drive and it showed half way between marks so as long as it remains the same then no oil been used best checked first thing .
My drive slops quite badly, yet interestingly the reading on the dipstick is the same regardless if I'm parked aiming up or aiming down, and it's the same reading as on a flat car park. I guess the dipstick must be dipping into the exact middle of the sump tray for that to happen.

I checked mine at weekend for the first time in ages, it was about 2/3rd of the way up. It was last changed 10 months and 8000 miles ago. Assuming the min/max is 1 litre, this equates to about 300ml loss in 8000 miles. I think this is acceptable as it would be getting to the next service and oil change well before getting anywhere near the half way mark.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
david sunderland

Never checked oil the other way round will try tonight....
Qashqai tekna 1.2 petrol dig 6. 3. 17. gunmetal grey. glass roof m\ t...............now RENAULT KADJAR GT 160 BHP same as the QQ same car
david sunderland

Checked this morning facing down and level was up to max mark.....the dipstick printed in handbook looks nothing like mine ....its long with lots of twists in it...I keep a check on my oil anyway .....
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

david sunderland wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:01 am Checked this morning facing down and level was up to max mark.....the dipstick printed in handbook looks nothing like mine ....its long with lots of twists in it...I keep a check on my oil anyway .....
Hmm, wonder why mine doesn't change much either way. I really struggle to read the dipstick which always seems to have a coating of oil everywhere, so maybe I made a mistake, or maybe your drive slopes a lot more than mine.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T