1.2 DIG-T - Oil loss

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
RickDorset
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by RickDorset »

Hi all, I am due to look at a 2017 (66 Reg - Feb 2017 - not facelift) Tekna 1.2 Dig-T Xtronic at a non Nissan dealer tomorrow with 11k on the clock and just wondered if these oil loss problems may have been fixed for 2017 engines? Any advice, suggestions about what to look for would be much appreciated.

I will be trading in a 2010 N-Tec with 49,000 on the clock which I have been running for 6 years without any issues. I'm generally low mileage - maybe 5000 per year. Rick

MikeGC

Post by MikeGC »

Two negatives
1. Engine with known faults
2. Gearbox with known faults

get something else
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
luka
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by luka »

I have been asked previously my VIN is SJNFEAJ11U2260476. I am cheeking all the time oil, until now seems ok. Is this VIN affected? Previously someone from forum give me affected VIN, but I don't know, should I compare all last digit in my case 2260476 or some other number?
Nissan Qashqai, 1.2 dig-t, Tekna+
qqdriver
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by qqdriver »

qqdriver wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:57 am Hi all, we have similar oil loss problem with our 15 plate 1.2 Dig-T QQ, bought from CarGiant in May 2018. Seems to consume 1L approximately every 2000 miles at the moment (assuming it is 1L between min and max mark on dipstick?). No noticeable noise/rattle yet. Mileage now 50k. Our VIN falls into the range in the Nissan Tech Bulletin.

CarGiant are saying that they cannot help because we did not tell them about the oil loss within 6 months of purchase, even though I sent them the Nissan tech bulletin and have pointed out it is a manufacturing issue. Unfortunately, we didn't notice how bad the oil loss was until it was just over 6 months. CG are telling me to go to Nissan because there may be a recall notice.

I rang a Nissan garage today. They said that 2000 miles per litre is normal for these engines. I explained that I've never had to top up oil in any other car. They said I could book it in for diagnosis for £50, but he didn't think it would show anything. I'm worried that the oil loss will increase and it will develop the timing chain rattle.

I'd appreciate any advice on this e.g. should we take the garage's advice and ignore the problem? If not, what is the best way to get it resolved? It seems unfair the dealer (CarGiant) won't take responsibility for selling us a car with a known manufacturing issue. Thanks in advance. Someone mentioned that Nissan are extending the warranty from 3 to 5 years just for this engine issue. Is that true? If so, we are still under warranty.

N.B. Our QQ also has a couple of other issues i.e. the audio/entertainment system intermittently cutting out and sometimes rebooting (viewtopic.php?f=29&t=7948&p=65876#p65876) - and a strange electrical squeal from the engine whenever the power is on (viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3478&p=65879#p65879). Again, these have occurred ever since we bought the car, but unfortunately we only recognised them as faults and reported them to CG after the 6 month deadline, so they are telling us they will have to be fixed at our own expense.
Update: noticed the dreaded engine rattle symptom at around 2000 revs yesterday.

It is very clear, but not so on vid because I was on my own, so could not get mic close enough to engine. We have the oil loss symptom and VIN is in the range of cars affected. Very worried now. We bought the car from CarGiant a year ago. Guess it may need a new engine like many others with the same symptoms on here.

Any advice on how to handle this? Haven't managed to get Cargiant to do anything yet. e.g. do we need to go to motor ombudsman?
prt32

Post by prt32 »

Hi All, sorry if already asked. Just found thios place :@)

I am due to look at Qashqai 2017 / 2018-12-DIG-T tomorrow. Do these still have issues with the engine ??
one of the vin number ends in J11U2183034 for the 2017 car.

The cars i am looking at have already done 9966 miles and 11570 miles.
thank you in advance
david sunderland

Post by david sunderland »

Mine is j11u1957371 got in march 2017 no problems at all so far 13000 miles find engine good but do lots of short runs had a mini cooper SD before the QQ DONT MISS IT. Have
to rev engine to get the best from it... WILL get a new QQ in march.
Qashqai tekna 1.2 petrol dig 6. 3. 17. gunmetal grey. glass roof m\ t...............now RENAULT KADJAR GT 160 BHP same as the QQ same car
qqdriver

Post by qqdriver »

I have now paid to have diagnostics done on our QQ at an independent garage. They said that a dash warning light has been overridden, but unfortunately there is no record of when that was done. It was certainly done before we had the car.

This is the report:
1 Fault code within ecu
P062C Control Unit Signal Plausibility not ok
Autodata fault explaination
Low intake manifold pressure due to engine control module
(ECM) software fault.
REMEDY - Carry out electrical mechanical and component
tests
(as applicable) to elimate any other possible cause
If no faults found: Re-programme engine control (ECM)
with upgraded software
To carry out an effective repair a software upgrade will be
required - Main dealer only
Further findings found oil level to be below max
Topped up with 0.7litres of 5w40 priemum oil
Found timing chain rattle at 2000rpm
Timing chain rattle due to lack of oil within engine
This fault could be related to the issue as listed above
Vehicle would need to be stripped down to give a full
estimate as to what work needs to be down and costings
Customer advised of issues as stated above.
Has anyone else had this fault code (doesn't seem to show up in forum search), or is our problem not the same issue as everyone is having here i.e. the one from the Nissan bulletin? As mentioned in my previous posts, we bought QQ 1.2 dig-T 15 plate from car giant a year ago and seems to be consuming a litre of oil every ~2k miles. Our VIN falls into the range defined on the Nissan bulletin. It has done 52k miles.
We'd need to prove to CG that that fault existed when we bought it from them. Do we have enough evidence of that?

Any recommendation of how to get this resolved? We are very worried.
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

m112 wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 8:56 pm I have 15 plate but only 22k on the clock.

1l on 2k miles is a standard on these engines, my one consumes around 1l on 1.5k miles

Apparently engines are covered for 5 years but car has to be serviced at nissan each year
I sold mine on 20k miles and 2y11m.

There was no rattle and I didn't have to top up the oil at all between services (c. 5k miles). So some 1.2s don't use much oil...

I just couldn't trust it not happening after all the reports.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
MyBrosGotAQq

Post by MyBrosGotAQq »

From my experience 1l for 2k miles is way too much and would immediately give me cause for alarm... I believe normal consumption would be around 1l for 4.5k or more. But don't take my word for it.
hydrolift
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by hydrolift »

I have a 2018 QQ and I must say, after reading this thread, that I was a bit concerned over oil loss. But after almost 1 year with mostly very short and frequent trips it has not consumed anything at all.

Hopefully the problem has gone away on later models, but I will still probably sell my car before the warranty expires. This engine seems like a hack...
1.2 Dig-T, 2018 Unique Edition