1.2 DIG-T - Oil loss

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forum.

I sympathise with your plight, but have no actual experience since my car didn't develop the problem when I had it.

At least treading this topic will have acquainted you with the potential scenario.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)

fullm

Post by fullm »

Thank you. I'm hoping somebody with a similar issue might be able to provide some more insight on what I can expect from going to Nissan about the issue at this stage. It seems a lot of people contacted them while their cars were in warranty - I couldn't possibly have done that even if I'd needed to :)
jakedapeguk

Post by jakedapeguk »

Hi Mate,

I do have similar experience of your issue. My 2014 1.2 DIg had the same issue.
FYI nissan extended the warranty on this engine for 5 years, so you have to move quickly on this issue.

I initially had no joy with nissan, (as the issue was reported by the crappy dealership a day after it celebrated its 5th year birthday), cutting a very long story short, its now been replaced at some fitting costs to me.

Nissan said, had the dealership reported this prior to the warranty expiring they would have covered an replaced.

One thing of note though, my car had full nissan dealership service stamps, something that they seemed to check, (so if you dont have those, you could have a battle on your hands).
fullm

Post by fullm »

Thanks for the information, I appreciate you letting me know. I fully anticipate an argument about the service history, but I'm going to persist with the angle that it wasn't something I could have controlled in the first place (I didn't buy the car from Nissan). It does have partial Nissan service history so maybe that will be something.

I'm going to phone them today to get the ball rolling.
fullm

Post by fullm »

Booked in for an inspection (£108!!) a week Monday. According to the lady at the dealership my car had the engine remapping performed in 2017. I will update when I know more.
Levenrek

Post by Levenrek »

New Facebook group > engine failures Nissan & Renault 1.2
and website > engine-failures-nissan-renault dot org
PJB729

Post by PJB729 »

The service history is a bit of a red herring no amount of “Nissan” stamps in the service book is going to alter the problem that was introduced when the engine was manufactured
QQ 1.5dci Tekna 2016 Magnetic Red
QQ 1.5dci Tekna + 2019 Magnetic Red
QQ 1.5 e-power Tekna 2024 Fuji Sunset Red.
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

One thing that may reassure, if its true... When mine was diagnosed with the problem and I was waiting for a replacement, I enquired if it was still safe to drive.
I was told apart from the symptoms of the annoying noise, there was no actual risk to driving as long as the oil never went below the minimum, it would be good for the life of the car.

So if they wont replace, buying some top up oil every couple if months is going to be a lot cheaper than a new engine... If you can live with the rattle.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
fullm

Post by fullm »

PJB729 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:49 pm The service history is a bit of a red herring no amount of “Nissan” stamps in the service book is going to alter the problem that was introduced when the engine was manufactured
Indeed, my concern is that they make it an issue anyway. Like you say, it shouldn't make any difference when the fault lies so obviously with them in the first place.
jumes
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by jumes »

Sorry if this doesn't belong here but this thread seems to have the most knowledge on the net about this engine from what I can find :oops:

I'm thinking of buying a Nissan with the 1.2 DIG-T engine (either a QashQai or a Pulsar), even after reading a lot of pages of this thread. Am I crazy for still considering one?! Both cars with a teckna package tick many boxes on my wishlist. I only do 5k a year and lots of small trips so I need a petrol engine.

I see a few posts above mention that the engines now have a 5 year warranty but have been unable to find any official news about it, does anyone have a link please??

Would a 3rd party warrany provider (warrantywise, motoreasy etc) cover the engine cost if the worst happened??

Given the history of the engines I'm looking to buy a 2016 or 2017 model with 15-20k on the clock from a dealer/franchise with minimum 12 months warranty.

Any thoughts or advice gratefully received.