1.2 DIG-T - Oil loss

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Davo

Post by Davo »

Hi Guys
Update on my oil loss problem is , my dealer has again checked my oil and it is on minimum , only topped it up
3-4 weeks ago . There are no oil drips anywhere that they can see , so they are at the moment suggesting a
NEW ENGINE may be required , but they will do it little more checking before making that decision .
Will keep you informed , but keep clicking those oils levels on the 1.2 dig-t.

Davo

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

When you read facts on Oil Losses it does tend to make you concerned. There has been comments over here recently regarding VW engines with high oil consumptions but as often happens these are supposedly "One Offs" but they appear not to be. We changed our QQ's Oil & Filter @ 800kms and it has now done 5300kms and I checked today after a fair run (180kms) yesterday and the Level is spot on. The first service is coming and I need to get it Booked in - Dave
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Davo

Post by Davo »

Hi to all reading about this problem

As of today July 22nd I have been advised by my dealership that due to piston failure ( only 10,000 miles )
that a NEW ENGINE has been ordered from Japan ,delivery 3-4 weeks.

Rgds Davo
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

Sorry to hear you have had such a significant problem but glad they're biting the bullet and fixing it. Hope they are providing a courtesy car to relieve some of the inconvenience.
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

[quote="JAB"]My 64 reg 1.2 dig-t has used 5 litres of oil in less than 2000 miles. I went to my local Nissan dealer, they said they could not do anything unless there is an oil leak, which there isn't. They said drive it for another couple of thousand miles, it may settle down. They admit the oil usage is higher than they would expect, but refuse to look at it.[/QUOTE]
That is a ridiculous oil consumption. If anything needs investigating it is this.In 8000 miles my 1.5 diesel has used no detectable amount of oil. I never once had to top up my previous Juke in 38,000 miles and the same goes for my Honda 2.2 diesel.Don't ever recall having to top up any petrol engine either. Only engine that did use oil was an old Land Rover 110 non-turbo diesel that used about a litre every 1000 miles. It did that from new and was no worse when it reached 22 years of age and was scrapped. It knocked like crazy for the last nine months until it broke a piston and seized.
JAB

Post by JAB »

Just an update. Drove 210 miles in one day last week, used 1/2 litre of oil. Drove to Devon and back a few weeks earlier, 500 miles, used so much oil there was no oil visible on dipstick. Rang Nissan Customer Care as have had no luck with dealer. Booked in this Wednesday at another Nissan dealership to investigate oil consumption. Dealer wanted to know if oil light came on when level dropped below dipstick, it didn't. Dealer also wanted to know if any rattles or tapping from engine, which there is. Have been told by this dealer oil usage is very high, but if they can't fing a fault they will charge me £90. I get the impression from talking to the dealer and Nissan Customer Care that when it goes in they expect to find an oil leak, even though I have told them there is no visible oil leak.
JAB2015-07-27 13:04:36
jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

I would imagine if there is no oil leak, then the oil must be getting burned. If that is the case surely you would be getting some sort of coloured emission from the exhaust on acceleration or de-acceleration. I had a BMW that burned oil and you could certainly see it from the exhaust on idling and especially on acceleration, and it was burning much, much less than yours is. As a matter of interest, I have not added any oil at all with my 1.2 petrol with 11.6k miles now done.
QQ 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White. Chromed front lip finisher,Side Sills,Glass Finisher, Lower Trunk Finisher, White Side mouldings, White AlloyGaytors, Wind Deflectors
Cross Over Pack, auto fold mirrors
JAB

Post by JAB »

Car been in dealers today. Been told new engine required, only done 6000 miles. Dealer says Nissan are aware of issues with engine on 1.2 dig-t. No lead time on delivery of new engine as dealer also says Nissan are still investigating what the issue is with these engines.
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

did they see what the issue was? My oil loss is not as drastic as yours but I've yet to inform my dealer.
JAB

Post by JAB »

No, they didn't say. They did say a lot of dealers are reporting this issue with this model and that Nissan were still investigating what is causing the oil loss.