1.2 DIG-T - Oil loss

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Percy

Post by Percy »

No just once. I have read of others having two changed. I know somebody with a Pulsar who also had same symptoms. I think the engine uses oil as some do. It's just how they are.
2016 1.2 Ink Blue with glass roof.

ABliss
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by ABliss »

Hi guys,

I just bought a 2015 qashqai 1.2 dig-t Acenta. Only just saw this thread today (I've not received the car yet, it's on its way). I've purchased from Arnold Clark and its got 17k miles on it.

What the hell do I do now? Can't refuse receipt of the car as we really need it for work and baby. Warranty runs out in June this year and we have the option of additional warranty.

I'm going to mention the engine issues. But what rights do I have when the vehicle runs out of warranty?
Also, is the oil level the only sign I should be looking for when assessing if the engine is going to require replacing?
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

I've just been out cleaning the wintry crud from my car and I noticed the inside of the exhaust tail pipe is black and coated in an oily substance. Was surprised at this as I thought petrol emissions were supposed to be "clean". My pre-dpf dci had a very black exhaust as you would expect, yet my dpf one was sparkling and clear on the inside of the pipe.

Can anyone else with a 1.2 dig-T check their tail pipes and see if they are also coated with a black oily substance? Does anyone know what it would be?
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

Carbon/other substances do build up over time on exhausts so this could be perfectly normal. My 1.6 DIG-T Pulsar and Micra are a bit like this and neither of them have lost oil. Emissions are never as clean as the manuf's say they are (*cough* VW *cough*). All cars burn a bit of oil one way or another, but should not be enough to cause a drastic change on the dipstick like some people have seen on this thread

Best action is to keep an eye on the dip stick to be 100% sure on oil loss issues!

Re Abliss: AS per PM..... don't worry about it too much and just keep checking oil level and flag up with your dealer if it does become an issue. In reality, a small number of engines were affected! People can make a lot of noise when complaining about an issue, but those without issues often sit on their hands and say nothing :)
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

I'm fairly sure it's carbon/soot build up as I have no excessive oil loss, was just surprised to see it as black as that. Still trying to get it off my fingers a few hours later! I also think it's "oily" because it was just after a drive so the hot damp steam from the exhaust has probably moistened it.

Done a bit of googling and one cause can be an over rich mixture by not changing the air filter regularly. I've gone and fallen into the trap of assuming the main dealer changed the air filter at the last couple of services, but I bet they haven't and it's a few years old and dirty. Will check tonight.

I usually see plenty of J11s around on car parks, so will need to fasten my shoe behind a few and compare!
david sunderland

Post by david sunderland »

Chris just stuck my finger around my exhaust and its c!ean have not done many miles 7500 but lots of short runs get lots of steam when I drive ......
Qashqai tekna 1.2 petrol dig 6. 3. 17. gunmetal grey. glass roof m\ t...............now RENAULT KADJAR GT 160 BHP same as the QQ same car
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

Well I checked my air filter and I think it's the original, never been changed after 3 years. Thought this was a service item, maybe not. Had 3 main dealer Nissan services now.

Probably been burning a far too fuel-rich air starved mixture!
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Chris, I thought I would check our QQ today it was Black - Dave :lol:

https://youtu.be/yTFyRS1p5hs
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Geordieman
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Geordieman »

Re servicing. For years I have marked air and oil filters with a felt tip marker in an out-of-the-way place so that I can check if they were replaced at the service. I also take a lot of photos outside and inside the car. I had a situation many years ago where items weren't replaced but I was charged for them.
2020 Tekna 1.3 DCT Auto, Pearl Black, Pan Roof, Heated Screen, ss door sills, Chrome door handle covers, ss Reg Plate frames, Gas Bonnet struts, chrome wheel nut covers, black side protection strips.
david sunderland

Post by david sunderland »

Before the 3 yrs service i did my own when i was at the dealers in the 60 s if the parts were ok ie plugs and points they went into tool box of the guy who did the service and he sent me to run them thro the spark plug cleaner then put them back in..... your right to mark items ....
Qashqai tekna 1.2 petrol dig 6. 3. 17. gunmetal grey. glass roof m\ t...............now RENAULT KADJAR GT 160 BHP same as the QQ same car