1.2 DIG-T - Oil loss

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

Reported mine to my dealer via email. I have asked if there 'is no fault found' or 'its within tolerance' to give me a written explanation as to what's going on and why its being lost on mine but not others. I don't want to be fobbed off to say 'its within tolerance', its going somewhere and they should be able to identify where! They should not turn around and say 'its within tolerance' if they cant explain why! I know with some engines, such as the original Honda VTEC engines, that oil is used when VTEC is enabled so oil loss can be normal, however I don't think in this day in age, with modern EURO spec engines that this would be allowed.I am also concerned as to what damage could be caused to other parts of the engine with oil ingress. IE Injectors, O2 sensors, catalytic converters, intercooler (if its pooling).... Will be interested to know if a new engine is a complete new engine, or in the case of where a 'piston is broke' (probably piston ring is passing rather than a damaged piston...). a new block is installed with all the old bits that make it run are swapped over. PS - made the topic sticky and updated the subject.
SplanK2015-08-04 09:45:08

Deleted User 759

Update, had a call from my dealer (after a little push), and he agreed that 0.5L in 4000 miles seems abnormal. Car is booked in yet again for inspection on Friday Another day in the Micra!
JAB

Post by JAB »

Received phone call from dealer yesterday, new engine expected 24th August. They told me it was a complete new engine and new drive belts etc would be fitted.
ragna

Post by ragna »

Ive had to top mine up at about 8000 miles dont know know exactly how much i put in suppose it was around half a ltr will check on Friday to see how much its used. Our other car is a Ford Focus 1.6 diesel got this 5 years ago with 7000 miles on clock apart from oil changes never had to top up oil now done 63000 miles.
2014 QQ 1.2 Accenta Premium, Storm White
Deleted User 759

Between min and max mark its 1L. So half way would be 0.5L
Geezso

Post by Geezso »

It comes from the factory not full. This should be topped up at pdi. I believe it takes 700ml. They do this as imagine saving 700ml x 1 million plus cars at a few pound a litre of oil.millionaires
of course doesn't explain oil loss after top up, but may explain why some people, who are about to check oil are lowGeezso2015-08-05 08:06:34
2015 Qashqai 115 Dig T - Gun Metalic
2015 Note Dig S - Black
ragna

Post by ragna »

checked my oil this morning and it was about a 1/3 of the way down from max, the last time i put some oil in the car was parked on an incline so this time i parked on a level drive and have taken the mileage 8480.So far i put in about 2/3 to 3/4 of a litre but as i never properly checked the oil when i got the car cant say how much oil ive used but will keep a check on it.Its due its first service 2nd week of October so will check day before it goes in.In the manual in section 8.8 it states if consumption is more than 0.5 ltr per 1000 km (621 miles) contact dealer so on Nissan figs between each service 12000 miles it would only be unusual if we used more than 10lts of oil.This must be a miss print
2014 QQ 1.2 Accenta Premium, Storm White
Deleted User 759

1L every ~1200miles is on par with those getting engine replacements. However I don't really care what it says in the manual, its a get out clause to avoid getting all sorts of people back when they miss-measure their oil. So mine is 0.5L every 4000 miles, I don't think its on UNLESS they can explain why its being used, or if its by design. In which case it should say. IF the engine was designed to use up to 1L every ~1200 miles then I am sure they would be pulled up on emissions when releasing the engine! The fact my dealer has said that it should not be loosing oil and they have booked it in. Mine is in tonight for inspection tomorrow. I just hope they find something because I have too much on my plate to be dealing with another back and forth game!
Deleted User 759

Well, they have had it an hour and already turned around and said 'its within tolerance'. They have essentially done an visual external check, found nothing and declared fine. They have done no other checks, such as compression test, bore scope or checked the turbo for leaks. That would take a pro, what, maybe an hour to complete? I asked what was the point in it being bought in then if they are not willing to do anything, he (service desk bod) agreed that it was a bit of a pointless exercise! He also said that 'we are loosing money because Nissan wont pay for this work unless its warranty'. I gave up, asked for my 'dissatisfaction' to be passed onto the service desk manager and will trash it out tonight with them when I go pick it up.
Deleted User 759

...and here is the response from my dealer:
Hi, Stephen Thank you for your email. The oil consumption of 0.5 litres in 4000 mlies on your J11 Qashqai fitted with the 1197cc HRA2DDT engine has been noted on your service record. As the oil consumption is well below the acceptable oil consumption level of 0.5 litres in 621 miles we have no reason to investigate this concern an further. I accept that other Qashqai 1.2 owners have reported similar oil consumption making it a characteristic of the vehicle. As the oil consumption is low I would be happy to top this up for you in between services

Great.....