1.2 DIG-T - Oil loss

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

If I got the Nissan dealer piece wrong above I'll take it out. Could be suffering from "forum cross post confusion"

Other post here:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=9719

Colin
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta

david sunderland

Post by david sunderland »

Newcastle evening chronicle has a post regarding NISSAN today may interest members
Qashqai tekna 1.2 petrol dig 6. 3. 17. gunmetal grey. glass roof m\ t...............now RENAULT KADJAR GT 160 BHP same as the QQ same car
fullm
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by fullm »

david sunderland wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:43 am Newcastle evening chronicle has a post regarding NISSAN today may interest members
...any chance of a little more information? I drove up to Newcastle to get a copy but by the time I got there it was the Tuesday after.
Winty27

Post by Winty27 »

Hello all thanks for the add first post unfortunately not a positive one from me.

I purchased this make and model Nissan Qashqai 2014 plate in 2017 with 21500 miles on the clock. I bought it on a pcp deal with the option to buy the car after the first 4 years .

It came with a warranty and some free service plans I payed for an extended service plan with courtesy car attached . During the second service I mentioned to the dealership I could smell burning oil when handing the keys over he said he would take a look. Service report came back unable to reproduce fault at time of test. In 2019 I started to here the timing chain rattling it was due a service so I took it in the service mechanic said there was no oil in the engine.
I questioned this and they said we have topped it up and told me to keep an eye on. I still wasn’t happy so in 2020 I told them I could still herd a rattling noise and they said it needs a new timing chain £1300. I started reading up and investigating and came across this issue is pretty common with this engine number.

I made a complaint and the garage escalated it but Nissan rejected cause of the age of the car. I then went to Nissan Customer Care GB. THE CC case manager and the dealership admitted that this car had a faulty engine and was faulty before I bought it. It’s been at the dealership four months and they have escalated it as a goodwill gesture.

The warranty company have asked the dealership to strip the engine to find out where the loss of compression is coming from the dealership are now arguing the toss saying who should pay for the 6 hour job the mechanics it will take.

I am gathering as much information as I can for a solicitor ( I don’t trust the motoring ombudsman as it has only 1 star on trust pilot and appalling reviews ). My solicitor has said I should ask for all the technical data relating to the car from the dealership ( sars request). I have all the service reports bar 1. I think I have some of the original bulletin from Nissan in 2015 updated in 2016.
Does anyone have anything they wouldn’t mind sharing with me about this known issue. Especially regarding this compression testing. The dealership have said it needs a new engine and customer care have said the warranty company have to follow this all up before a decision can be made.

A sars request takes 1month so if I am not happy about the outcome I want to use a solicitor as I bought the car in 2017 they new it had a fault. I have had no car for 4 months still paying all the tax insurance and finance despite being on furlough. Would appreciate someone else’s opinion. I will post my engine number up in a minute.

Also any bulletins related to this issue would be handy. Sorry for such a long post 👍
2014 Qashqai Digi-t glass roof pearl white
andyleadbetter

Post by andyleadbetter »

We had a 64 plat 1.2 which from 40k was 'losing' 1ltr per 1000 miles, topped it up for a another 25k, then got shut. Nissan made no effort to fix it. There is a bulletin for 500k of those engines having poor compression as a symptom of incorrect manufacturing. IIRC there is a link to the bulletin about it in the forums.
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Winty27, welcome ! I would assume you have read this very long post which should include these attachments Incase you have not seen them here they are attached - Dave 😟

Nissan Qashqai owners driven to distraction by engine failures | Motoring | The Guardian : https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/ ... l-problems

***** Renault / QQ : https://casse-moteur-renault.weebly.com ... _1505_.pdf

QQ : http://forum.qashqaiclub.co.uk/uploads/14110/1.2p1.pdf
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Winty27

Post by Winty27 »

Yep thanks Dave I read the whole post that mechanics detailed explanation was spot on. I have all those articles and more. That copy of the bulletin was the one I have to.
Thanks for the links I am just trying to understand more about it for solicitor if it goes that far. Its shocking to read about if you dig deeper into it.

Thanks for your help 👍
Winty27

Post by Winty27 »

Hello all so they got back to me yesterday saying they would replace the timing chain and tensioner. They would cover the cost of the part I have to pay labour and VAT. I don’t think this will ever solve the excessive oil consumption. I think they have totally tried to rip me off with this Car. Dealer told me my engine number is not in the range of numbers on the bulletin . I don’t think he knows I have I know of this bulletin as my engine number is smack in the middle .
Rubyblue123

Post by Rubyblue123 »

Hey everyone, new to the oil party and wonder if I’ll get many replies seeing as this is so old now.

I have a 16 plate 1.2 DIG-T that has done 34k miles, is over a year and a half out of warranty, and I have just run into my first trouble with it and someone on social media pointed me in the direction of this known problem and thread (wish I’d known about it when I bought the damn thing...). Got it from a non Nissan dealer 2 years ago at 19k miles on the clock so not from new and not been having it serviced with Nissan.

I kept getting a flash of the “low oil pressure stop vehicle” message sporadically, this was for a split second sometimes but never stayed on and now not being at all mechanically minded I put my hands up and admit I ignored this msg for a lot longer than I should have done. Mainly because where I come from if oil LEVEL is low you get the universally recognised little lamp sign come up, and stay on. This oil pressure thing threw me, as it never stayed on and as it said pressure I thought Whatever it was was maybe borderline low something and not a real issue yet, and when I called my local Nissan dealership was told by the lady who answered unless a warning message is on constantly they won’t be able to diagnose a fault. My engine was also sounding like a tractor... cue me mentioning this to my dad who checked the oil. The dipstick was practically dry first reading, then showed some oil. Basically it was giving strange readings. Anyway, by this point thought the best thing to do was do a mini service as it’s been 10k miles since my last so it had an oil and filter change at a local garage last week (not Nissan). They said they think there is a leak on the seal behind the timing chain cover.

The engine instantly sounded fine again and I haven’t seen the warning since. However on Friday I happened to take my car to Nissan as it was recalled for a child safety lock issue - which was free, however they did a health check and also flagged up a suspected leak of timing chain cover. They have quoted this at £1100! However if they do a proper diagnosis will charge £114 if it’s not that.

After reading this thread can I get some advice please on if it sounds like my car is indeed victim of this dodgy engine considering the above. Am I mad to pay to get this work done, am I doomed for this to happen again or worse have to get a new engine soon?

Typically am currently on maternity leave so am already strapped for cash. 2020 is turning worse and worse for me :(
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

Welcome both Winty27 and Rubyblue123 to this forum.

As you have found out the problem is well documented here. I had (as you can see below) a 2015 car which I bought secondhand at 8 months from a Nissan dealer and which was serviced by them. When the warranty was approaching expiry I considered extending it, but I was having so much trouble with the dealer generally I decided to sell it - rather than risk taking out an extended warranty and then running into significant problems. Fortunately I'd bought it outright so didn't have a finance deal to get out of. At that time it was coming up to 20k miles and was not using any oil. However having joined this forum after purchasing it I was aware of the potential problems with this engine and had checked the oil level regularly. You should be checking at least every month if not weekly. I hope the new owner isn't now having trouble.

My advice, not having had the problem myself but having followed this topic for years, would be to sell the car. If you can...
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)