1.2 DIG-T - Oil loss

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
PJB729

Post by PJB729 »

Remember to bear in mind that compensation is focused on bringing you back to a point before the incident happened it’s not about punitive damages.
QQ 1.5dci Tekna 2016 Magnetic Red
QQ 1.5dci Tekna + 2019 Magnetic Red
QQ 1.5 e-power Tekna 2024 Fuji Sunset Red.

Slioch
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Slioch »

PJB729 wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:20 pm Remember to bear in mind that compensation is focused on bringing you back to a point before the incident happened it’s not about punitive damages.
They are treating us with utter contempt. They are aware that these engines are faulty but are hoping issues arise after the warranty is out and therefore they can wash their hands of it ...... it's bordering on fraud if you ask me.
PJB729

Post by PJB729 »

Slioch wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:24 pm
PJB729 wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:20 pm Remember to bear in mind that compensation is focused on bringing you back to a point before the incident happened it’s not about punitive damages.
They are treating us with utter contempt. They are aware that these engines are faulty but are hoping issues arise after the warranty is out and therefore they can wash their hands of it ...... it's bordering on fraud if you ask me.
It does appear this could be the case but it’s difficult to validate Nissans intentions just be careful that your sense of injustice does not blind you from gaining the best financial settlement for yourself.
QQ 1.5dci Tekna 2016 Magnetic Red
QQ 1.5dci Tekna + 2019 Magnetic Red
QQ 1.5 e-power Tekna 2024 Fuji Sunset Red.
m112
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by m112 »

After reading the bulletin a shed loads of QQ are affected. Not certain baches but all of them.

Nissan should either replace engines on all affected cars or give indefinate warranty for engine.

I can see here similarity to fords ecotech engine failure.

Its my thinking here but it may be just a matter of time before the fault occurs
Slioch

Post by Slioch »

m112 wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:06 pm After reading the bulletin a shed loads of QQ are affected. Not certain baches but all of them.

Nissan should either replace engines on all affected cars or give indefinate warranty for engine.

Its my thinking here but it may be just a matter of time before the fault occurs
Yes but if the fault occurs after the warranty is up then i can imagine Nissan chancing their arm and getting the customer to pay for a new engine. They are hardly falling over themselves to admit there's an issue as it is !!!!!!
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

m112 wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:06 pm After reading the bulletin a shed loads of QQ are affected. Not certain baches but all of them.

If there was a safety issue involved, they'd probably have to. But when they replaced my engine, they stressed it was only a noise and a bit of oil loss and would be perfectly safe to drive for years. Whether that's true or not I don't know, but one thing I have noticed with the new one is I'm getting at least 10 mpg more now, which makes me wonder how much ££££ I've wasted on fuel with the faulty one in the 15 months I've had it.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
MikeGC

Post by MikeGC »

I guess, from Nissan's POV, they have sold many thousand of these engines.
There are 15, maybe 20, reports on here. Probably the same on the Juke forums I used to frequent.
That's a very low percentage so clearly lots of these 1.2 engines were built properly in the first place.
My next guess would be that Nissan don't actually know which engines had the wrong piston rings (installed upside down [a prominent Juke forum rumour] or the wrong size/type) so a recall might not be possible - assuming that Nissan had "our" best interests at heart.
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
Slioch

Post by Slioch »

MikeGC wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:58 am

There are 15, maybe 20, reports on here. Probably the same on the Juke forums I used to frequent.
That's a very low percentage so clearly lots of these 1.2 engines were built properly in the first place.
My next guess would be that Nissan don't actually know which engines had the wrong piston rings (installed upside down [a prominent Juke forum rumour] or the wrong size/type) so a recall might not be possible - assuming that Nissan had "our" best interests at heart.
Hi Mike

Although only 15 to 20 reports on here i can tell you that the Nissan garage in Inverness (Dickson's) in the last 12 months have replaced 13 Nissan engines. 6 of these engines were Nissan Pulsars and the same problem as ours. Now Inverness has a population of 70,000 which isn't a lot by any means. The service manager there told us that the problem was very wide spread and even Nissan accept that there is a problem with certain engines.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8_WD3 ... subscriber
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

MikeGC wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:58 am

Or, like mine, they're just waiting to happen. Mine was faultless till 35000 miles and 3.5 years. And when I enquired whether the engine replacement could have the same fault, I was told it's impossible to say as it could take a few years for it to develop.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
ABliss
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by ABliss »

chrisw99 wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:28 pm Confirmed, I need a new timing chain after going in to investigate the rattle.

Was told 1000s have had to have it done.
Chrisw, did you notice any chain rattling noises when driving? It's quite a distinctive rattle, and when you release the accelerator and free wheel in gear, can you hear a noise similar to that of a pushbike free wheeling (the chain/spoke aspect of it)?

Under acceleration, I would hear a couple of clicks (again sounds like the chain) in 3rd or 4th gear then goes away. Doesn't happen all the time. My engine has done 20500 miles. It doesn't sound normal, but might be normal for this engine.