1.2 DIG-T - Oil loss

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

chrisw99 wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:28 pm Confirmed, I need a new timing chain after going in to investigate the rattle.

Was told 1000s have had to have it done.
Nissan rang, warranty work authorised.

They've decided to replace the whole engine, not just the timing chain.

Bit of a shock but probably a good thing, I'd be worried what kind of an affect that rattling timing chain had caused on the engine.

So - to those who've had a new engine, how do you find it afterwards? Presume you have to break it in like a new car (never had a car from new before).
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T

BeirutTaxi
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by BeirutTaxi »

Hi everyone,

Do the timing chain and oil consumption issues affect 2016 models onwards?

Kind regards,

Matt
catnash

Post by catnash »

Good question? Mine was ok for the first two years. Have heard of a few modern ones using oil.
1.2 Auris TS, Yaris 1.5.
BeirutTaxi
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by BeirutTaxi »

I had a 61 plate Quashqai +2 and liked it. Thinking of another Quashqai but I'm getting the impression that Nissan has some serious quality problems on their hands.

The car was good but Nissan's customer care (in my experience) and the aforementioned quality issues with the 1.2 petrol has me tempted to look elsewhere.
catnash

Post by catnash »

Same here.
1.2 Auris TS, Yaris 1.5.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

catnash wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:59 pmSame here.
Look no further, they’ve stopped making the 1.2 and are introducing a totally different design of 1.3
Slioch
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Slioch »

Hi Everyone

I posted this on a Nissan Pulsar forum but i'm aware that its the same 1.2 DIG - T petrol engine in lots of Nissans

We received a copy of the diagnostics customer warranty report and i will go over what it highlighted and also post a picture of the report at the end.

Incident: A stop / start eml light on.
Fault: Concern of loss of power and mil light on - recovered in.
Cause: Confirm fault code P0304 - F8 recorded misfire carried out compression test finding cylinder 1 at 60 PSI, 2 at 75 PSI, 3 at 60 PSI and 4 at 105 PSI oil level only slightly low.
Rectification: Replacement engine required as per bulletin TB EM 15/05

Our car was recovered on January 15th 2018 and had a fully new engine replaced. It was road tested and apparently all was okay. So we took back our vehicle on Saturday 10th February 2018 and within 10 miles of driving it, we noticed that the cruise control was working, so we turned around and took the vehicle back.

It is now July 2nd 2018 and we still await return of our vehicle as there have been issues regarding sorting the cruise control. We have learnt that Nissan have replaced the ECU, alternator, wiring loom, and many more parts to try and sort this out. There have been software updates done on the vehicle as well as a technician from Sunderland coming all the way up to the north of Scotland to attempt a repair. Thats a total of 167 days and we have been told by someone called Nikki from Nissan UK that she has looked into our case and is happy with the way it has been dealt with. We were initially provided with a case manager called Amber Sweetman but she constantly lied to us and would not return emails in a timely fashion or if she did, would not answer any questions from the previous emails.

We asked Ms Sweetman for a copy of TB EM 15/05 but she refused to release it to us. So we did some investigation work and secured a copy through a third party garage and now we know why she refused to tell us much about it. The document itself was released on 18th December 2015 and updated on 19th February 2016.

We also asked for a copy of a telephone conversation we had with Ms Sweetman on the 29th January 2018 when at that time Ms Sweetman stated the following

The vehicle will actually be better than before because before when it was built, it was built with a manufacturing defect in it and now we know what that defect was, we've ironed it out and it now doesn't have that defect. So there's even less of a chance that it's going to be a problem for another customer in the future

Given we purchased the vehicle in March 2016 and coupled with the fact that the bulletin was released in December 2018 and Nissan have now admitted they knew about the manufacturing defect then we are asking Nissan to replace our vehicle with one that is fit for purpose as opposed to our old one which wasn't at time of sale.

And if that's not bad enough, Dickson's of Inverness have now told us that when they replace an engine, Nissan are supposed to take the old one back. If they don't take it back then Dicksons have to hold onto it for 3 months before they can dispose of it themselves. Presently they have 3 engines awaiting disposal and have disposed of 9 in the last 12 months. There is also currently another Nissan in waiting a new engine. Thats 13 engines in just over 12 months which i find absolutely unbelievable.

I will include some pictures of the diagnostics and TB EM 15/05 bulletin

Diagnostics Minus Name.jpg

TB EM 01.jpg

TB EM 02.jpg

TB EM 03.jpg

PJB729

Post by PJB729 »

Wow a 167 days even with a loan car I don’t consider that reasonable. If they can’t fix their own product in nearly six months they should consider an outright replacement or a financial settlement.

A terrible story of customer service.
QQ 1.5dci Tekna 2016 Magnetic Red
QQ 1.5dci Tekna + 2019 Magnetic Red
QQ 1.5 e-power Tekna 2024 Fuji Sunset Red.
Slioch
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Slioch »

This was their full and final offer

We have reviewed 2 options for you:

1. A refund – As previously stated in our phone conversations in order to evaluate the cost of a refund we take into consideration the cost of the vehicle at purchase, any finance added to the vehicle and a usage charge for use to date of the vehicle. We have also taken into consideration the experience that you have had to date in calculating a refund figure. Nissans offer is to cover the current settlement figure on your vehicle which you have documented as £7326.49. While your vehicle still has finance on it our contribution would be to the Finance Company directly in order to ensure that the vehicle comes to us clear of finance.

2. A New vehicle – Nissan are in a position to supply you with a Brand new 18 plate pulsar, as requested we have priced this up based upon the Tekna version with the diesel engine. To accept the new vehicle we would require a contribution of £8000 from yourselves. In this instance we require permission from your finance provider to transfer the current outstanding finance to the new vehicle if they refuse we will not be able to proceed with the offer of a new vehicle and our only offer will be the refund option. It is best to note that if they agree however you will have a brand new vehicle with the same amount of months remaining on it as with your current vehicle.

In both instances no further offer of goodwill will be offered.

We have been unable to offer you the costs of a used vehicle as this is subject to availability and an offer being able to be reached by the dealership which has not been successful. We are not in a position to simply obtain a used Nissan Juke as they belong to our franchised dealerships and not Nissan. We would not have the control over the selling price of the vehicle and as a result could not offer you the best options in regards to a financial contribution to purchase a vehicle.

To clarify our offers are
1) For us to buy back you vehicle and settle the finance in full
2) To provide you with a brand new vehicle in exchange

If you are unhappy with the above options, and as you have confirmed that you are expecting a full refund of the original price plus compensation I am expecting that this will be your decision, then you will need to refer the matter to the Motor ombudsman. They will review your case and the options that we have presented and decide as to whether they are fair and just. In this instance once your vehicle is repaired we will look to return it to you and will require you to return the loan vehicle you are currently using. We will then await the Ombudsman’s ruling and act accordingly.

Kind regards

Amber
PJB729

Post by PJB729 »

From what you have written you have been more than patient given the time that elapsed. Nissan acknowledge in their bulletin that they knew the product was faulty.

You have given Nissan more than a reasonable opportunity to repair the vechile which they seem unable to do.

I would seek legal advice before referring to the Ombudsman you may have more protection under The Sale of Goods Act.
QQ 1.5dci Tekna 2016 Magnetic Red
QQ 1.5dci Tekna + 2019 Magnetic Red
QQ 1.5 e-power Tekna 2024 Fuji Sunset Red.