1.2 DIG-T - Oil loss

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
lewisbryant
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by lewisbryant »

Yes excessive oil consumption can cause engine parts to wear excessively and swarf can then be left in the oil. What we found was the early engine had a poorly manufactured piston ring set (and some were fitted incorrectly at factory rumours have it) and would allow oil pass and get burnt also there was a software issue that allowed oil to pass the valve stem seals, this update was only on the early vehicle I think it was before 2017, the were recalled. Anyways they came out with a countermeasure piston ring set and these were fitted to vehicles after a certain VIN range, so together with the update and the countermeasure piston ring set they significantly lowered the oil consumption problem but depending on how often you check your oil people with all the new stuff still let their oil run low and then the wear occured, the oil jets that jet the bores and the bottom of piston no longer jetted due to low oil pressure so the bores would get hot and the piston would also get hot and expand then wear the bore on the thrust side causing it to oval, then the chain tensioner would start to oscillate in and out with the oil pressure oscillating up and down and then it would seize in its housing then as the chain started to stretch there would no longer be tension on it and the chain would start rattling, this is when the driver normally notices they have a problem go to get it checked and low and behold the oil level is extremely low. They top it up and depending on how seized that chain tensioner is it may free up with the now restored oil pressure and the rattle will go away but the majority of the time the damage is done. And the bores have already ovaled out and your in for some excessive oil consumption. All of this could have possible been significantly avoided if they just added an oil level sensor onto the engine like Renault did. On the euro 5 engines the oil level sensor is there but the wiring harness does not accommodate it so it's just a sensor with no plug in it haha on the euro 6 they stopped machining the hole for it so they no longer needed to fit it.

Also these engines suffer from excessive carbon build up on the intake valves due to it being direct injection and the fact the burn oil so excessive carbon deposits get into the crankcase breather and make their way up into the inlet manifold and then stick the intake valves, this causes misfires when it builds up a big amount of carbon. Theres a video online by diagnose dan that explains why direct injection carbon buildup on inlet valves causes misfires.
There is a new countermeasure manifold now available to lower the carbon build up it involves relocating the crankcase breather,and a countermeasure oil pump which I'm not sure what that actually does differently I can only assume the pick up is slightly lower into the sump or the oil pressure has been modified anybody know why they countermeasured the pump I would love to hear why.

Anyway that's my outtake on it I may be wrong in certain aspects but thats my personal thinking behind it and what I've learnt

Hope this helps

gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Smarshall123 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:42 pm Hi everyone,

I too have a 65 plate Nissan Qashqai 1.2 which has suffered from engine failure. My VIN also falls within the TB. I have been trying to get the car repaired since december, however as I bought the car from Arnold Clark, Nissan are refusing to repair it as it has no warranty with them. I pointed out the goodwill warranty extension to which the service manager said it is subject to conditions and approval set by Nissan.

The diagnosis on the engine failure is the engine oil has been contaminated with Swarf. They have not elaberated the cause of this. Can anyone tell me if the excessive oil consumption could cause this?

Thank you

Welcome to this forum. The posting above from lewisbryant is the most comprehensive analysis I've seen. I can't add anything apart from suggesting you read through this topic if you haven't already.

The conditions to which you refer are probably that the car has always been serviced by a Nissan dealer and since you bought it from Arnold Clark which only appears to have 1 Nissan dealership within its 193 strong chain that may be a problem. I presume it's out of the Arnold Clark warranty.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
Smarshall123

Post by Smarshall123 »

lewisbryant wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:21 am Yes excessive oil consumption can cause engine parts to wear excessively and swarf can then be left in the oil. What we found was the early engine had a poorly manufactured piston ring set (and some were fitted incorrectly at factory rumours have it) and would allow oil pass and get burnt also there was a software issue that allowed oil to pass the valve stem seals, this update was only on the early vehicle I think it was before 2017, the were recalled. Anyways they came out with a countermeasure piston ring set and these were fitted to vehicles after a certain VIN range, so together with the update and the countermeasure piston ring set they significantly lowered the oil consumption problem but depending on how often you check your oil people with all the new stuff still let their oil run low and then the wear occured, the oil jets that jet the bores and the bottom of piston no longer jetted due to low oil pressure so the bores would get hot and the piston would also get hot and expand then wear the bore on the thrust side causing it to oval, then the chain tensioner would start to oscillate in and out with the oil pressure oscillating up and down and then it would seize in its housing then as the chain started to stretch there would no longer be tension on it and the chain would start rattling, this is when the driver normally notices they have a problem go to get it checked and low and behold the oil level is extremely low. They top it up and depending on how seized that chain tensioner is it may free up with the now restored oil pressure and the rattle will go away but the majority of the time the damage is done. And the bores have already ovaled out and your in for some excessive oil consumption. All of this could have possible been significantly avoided if they just added an oil level sensor onto the engine like Renault did. On the euro 5 engines the oil level sensor is there but the wiring harness does not accommodate it so it's just a sensor with no plug in it haha on the euro 6 they stopped machining the hole for it so they no longer needed to fit it.

Also these engines suffer from excessive carbon build up on the intake valves due to it being direct injection and the fact the burn oil so excessive carbon deposits get into the crankcase breather and make their way up into the inlet manifold and then stick the intake valves, this causes misfires when it builds up a big amount of carbon. Theres a video online by diagnose dan that explains why direct injection carbon buildup on inlet valves causes misfires.
There is a new countermeasure manifold now available to lower the carbon build up it involves relocating the crankcase breather,and a countermeasure oil pump which I'm not sure what that actually does differently I can only assume the pick up is slightly lower into the sump or the oil pressure has been modified anybody know why they countermeasured the pump I would love to hear why.

Anyway that's my outtake on it I may be wrong in certain aspects but thats my personal thinking behind it and what I've learnt

Hope this helps

Hi thank you for your report, this explains a lot and I may have to use this information in order to get the vehicle repaired.
The financial ombudsman are investigating and have informed me that I need to prove the vehicle was faulty when I purchased it.
Smarshall123

Post by Smarshall123 »

gloucester wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 11:34 am

I too have a 65 plate Nissan Qashqai 1.2 which has suffered from engine failure. My VIN also falls within the TB. I have been trying to get the car repaired since december, however as I bought the car from Arnold Clark, Nissan are refusing to repair it as it has no warranty with them. I pointed out the goodwill warranty extension to which the service manager said it is subject to conditions and approval set by Nissan.

The diagnosis on the engine failure is the engine oil has been contaminated with Swarf. They have not elaberated the cause of this. Can anyone tell me if the excessive oil consumption could cause this?

Thank you

Welcome to this forum. The posting above from lewisbryant is the most comprehensive analysis I've seen. I can't add anything apart from suggesting you read through this topic if you haven't already.

The conditions to which you refer are probably that the car has always been serviced by a Nissan dealer and since you bought it from Arnold Clark which only appears to have 1 Nissan dealership within its 193 strong chain that may be a problem. I presume it's out of the Arnold Clark warranty.
gloucester wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 11:34 am

Thank you

Thank you, yes the analysis is excellent and I may have to use this when Nissan customer service get back to me on their investigation.
Ah that may be the problem, when I purchased the vehicle from Arnold Clark I bought a service and MOT package so the last service was at an Arnold Clark Peugeot garage. I also purchased an extended warranty with Arnold Clark, however the claim limit is £4000, the Nissan garage has quoted me £14,000 for a new engine.

The financial ombudsman are currently investigating and require me to prove the vehicle has had a fault when I purchased it.

Nissan have said so far that as I am the second owner they will not cover it, but that was Nissan Warranty not Nissan Customer Service. I am currently awaiting a response from the customer service case manager.
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

£14k is way over the top for the cost of a new engine. Other people have been quoted around £7/8k.

After all the car is only worth about £10k to start with. But if you had to pay £3/4k at least that would be worth it.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

Just discovered this topic - I haven't read it all through but there may be some pointers for you

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/top ... 810651&i=0
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

Here's someone who bought a car from Arnold Clark, but the new engine was fitted before the Nissan three-year warranty expired.

viewtopic.php?t=8619#p68750
Smarshall123

Post by Smarshall123 »

Thank you for the links to the other posts.
I'll let you know what they come back with.
Smarshall123

Post by Smarshall123 »

Hi everyone this is the diagnosis nissan have given me. States engine oil contaminated with swarf. They have said I need to prove this fault is a result of the fault mentioned in the technical bulletin

Screenshot_20200530-081957_Gallery.jpg

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Have you actually seen the Oil Samples & the “Swarf” in it., are they talking about large particles or small that you have to look at with an Eyeglass or Microscope. How the Hell are you going to prove this is the cause, really they have IMHO passed the Buck back into your Court. It would appear you will need Technical Assistance now of some sort to fight this.
I might be from the old school but our oil and filter are always changed at the first 1000 Kms for the reason of Swarf. But your problem appears to be the known problem of faulty parts. Where do you go now ? - Dave 🤨
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken