1.2 DIG-T - Oil loss

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Absolute crap!Terrible response.

JAB

Post by JAB »

The first dealer I spoke to weren't interested, spoke to Nissan Customer Care who told me to take car to another dealer, who confirmed new engine needed.
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

Just sent an email to another dealer explaining the situation to see if I can get any more mileage! I wonder if my oil consumption is just a little on the low side compared to others hence they are not entertaining any further checks.
SplanK2015-08-07 14:05:15
Deleted User 759

Despite the emails through the day of their instance that its normal, I managed to sit down with the service desk manager and had a half hour chat with him about it. Although the official line is 'its within tolerance', he agrees that its still odd and he believes the situation is much larger than the handful of people reporting it because most people don't check, or simply don't care. Put it this way, he was surprised there are people reporting no oil loss with the 1.2! I explained that I was disappointed that today was essentially a waste of time as we already knew there was no external oil leak and I thought they were taking the problem seriously (IE, doing investigations on internals). Anyway, he has seen 3 other cars like it, 1 is one of the service desk guys own car who is using ~0.5L in ~4k miles, one was in for a service and the owner does not know, and the other which was overdue a service, it drank that much oil that it knackered the timing chain! None of which are subject to further investigation. He agreed he will carry on digging for information, and agreed that I should continue to push Nissan GB from my side. He also said a Nissan tech is due to visit on Mon or Tues and will ask him about the problem. I originally considered I would have this car for a while. Just having a 2nd kid, moving house and a wife that's currently out of work it was ideal plan. However I am starting to loose confidence in the 1.2 engine now. Originally it was great, but I think the cracks are starting to show. Maybe its too much to ask and although 1 bar of boost is fairly typical these days, the turbo is having to work quite hard to deliver the powered needed to move the weight! At this moment in time, I am considering trading it in either soon, or at the 3 year mark and going for the 1.6DIG-T (the engine I originally wanted but could not sit on my hands long enough to wait for it!!). Saying that, if its another 'early car' issue, then it could be a batch issue, or a design fault that was identified and fixed and an attempt to brush it under the carpet...
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Steve, I feel for all the members that have this Oil Loss problem but it is making me Paranoid ?Y?«. I used to Check the Oil Level regular but now it is much more often. I read the comment from Tiffany on the other Forum and like us we have no loss at present with low mileage. We changed it at 2000kms and last week it was checked at the Service with no loss or additions after another 3683kms (2301 Miles). There is no doubt that this is an Important point that has been raised as it sticks in peoples minds and does need checking regularly. Our Dealer actually mentioned that Low Mileage Customers take it for granted the QQ will use less Oil - Can be wrong ! ?Y?? I hope that in the end the correct solution is found for all concerned - Dave
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Splink

Post by Splink »

[quote="ragna"] In the manual in section 8.8 it states if consumption is more than 0.5 ltr per 1000 km (621 miles) contact dealer ...[/QUOTE] NISSAN seem to anticipate even higher oil consumption on vehicles driven for less than 5000km (3000 miles). For such vehicles there is no specified oil loss rate above which a NISSAN dealer should be consulted.

P.S. On looking at the diagrams in 8-8 I noticed that my dipstick is type C with notches, but the manual says this is for the R9M engine. Splink2015-08-08 15:20:32
1.2 DIG-T Acenta 2014
skeema

Post by skeema »

After the first service oil consumption is now around 2.5 liters per 11000 miles. 1.2DIG-T / 2014. 2nd service coming up soon, should I complain about this even if its in the range of normal oil consumption and no visible leaks are found?
AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

Mines lost about a 10% to 15% from the top mark over about 3 months (circa 1.5k miles).

Oddly the oil level never moved before the first service.

I am not hugely concerned at the moment but this is something, thread wise, I will be keeping an eye on.

I was intending to keep the car for quite a while but with my other issues and this possible gremlin I am getting nervous about the car outside warranty.
Nissan no more...
jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

As usual I checked mine every weekend, no oil usage still after 3k miles from the first service. Over all now with 12.2k on the clock I have not added any oil at all from new.I had a little look at one of the Renault forums who obviously use an almost identical variant of the 1.2 engine and no comments on oil loss or usage appear. Has anyone seen any comments on the Juke or Micra sites relating to this subject? Perhaps it is just something that the Turbo 1.2 suffers from, but as people have said, something to keep an eye on, but unless it becomes an issue, not to get too paranoid about. Another point may relate to the type of oil being added, perhaps some dealers are using a cheaper part synthetic mixture which the turbo burns off. I recall with a Passat 1.8T I had some years ago putting in non approved oil caused rapid oil usage.
QQ 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White. Chromed front lip finisher,Side Sills,Glass Finisher, Lower Trunk Finisher, White Side mouldings, White AlloyGaytors, Wind Deflectors
Cross Over Pack, auto fold mirrors
Deleted User 759

Jon - yes there are a few people who have oil consumption issues on the Juke owners group. I am watching the thread with keen interest and posting my developments on there. The Micra uses a different 1.2 engine (3 pot supercharged). However my 1.2 DIG-S has not lost any. I am using that as a argument with my dealer that, although a different engine, its similar style (boosted with direct injection....). Granted, turbo's by design allow a little oil past as you can never really get a perfect seal. From what I have read so far, most oil loss issues where the engine is being replaced is due to 1 cylinder being faulty. As to what's faulty about it I don't know yet. I don't think that its none issue, unless we get some sort of response from Nissan to explain why its being lost. I think all those with oil loss that they are not happy with should report it to their dealer.