1.2 DIG-T - Oil loss

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Steve, what Jon has mentioned could be a worthwhile point, as unless I am blind nobody on this Topic has mentioned the Oil Type or Grade. If you remember there was a large interesting Forum Topic on Manufacturers / Oil Grades and in our QQ we have 5w-40 which is what is recommended for the Petroleum Motor in the Manual on P9-4. It would be interesting to see what Grades or which Manufacturers Oil has been used in the Problem Motors and if there is a relationship - Dave
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken

bone_tone

Post by bone_tone »

Oil could be a contributing factor. Although my 1.2 hasn't used any oil in 3600 miles, I wanted to get some in case of need and found it very difficult to get a 5w 40 that ticked all if the boxes in the manual. Even my local Nissan dealer didn't have any, and tried to sell me 5w 30 instead -'that's what we use in the workshop'........
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

Call from dealer to report the Nissan Tech guy was aware of oil loss issues but 'silent' on the reason. The Nissan tech guy did say however, a bulletin will be released 'shortly' to 'improve the situation' however was tight lipped as to what it involved. That says to me that Nissan are clearly aware of a problem and there maybe 2 separate issues at play.1. A minor loss of oil (what I am experiencing)2. A major loss of oil (which is what others are experiencing who are getting engine replacements). It could be that the major loss is a defect in the engine and could just be one of those things, but a minor loss is more common and a consequence of a particular 'setup' (IE using 5w30 oil rather than 5w40) and the 2 issues could be unrelated but are alarming. I agreed to leave it for a month and will chase if the dealer does not get back to me in that time.
SplanK2015-08-11 14:58:37
Splink

Post by Splink »

[quote="bone_tone"] ... my local Nissan dealer didn't have any, and tried to sell me 5w 30 instead -'that's what we use in the workshop'........[/QUOTE]
The oil which the manual says is preferable is sold by
Nissan dealer
It is less expensive than the dpf oils.
1.2 DIG-T Acenta 2014
jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

Yes Splink Glyn Hopkins are offering various oils and it looks like the 5w-30w is for Diesel engines only if you read the descriptions on the following link http://glynhopkinpartsonline.co.uk/sear ... =motor+oil
QQ 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White. Chromed front lip finisher,Side Sills,Glass Finisher, Lower Trunk Finisher, White Side mouldings, White AlloyGaytors, Wind Deflectors
Cross Over Pack, auto fold mirrors
Splink

Post by Splink »

[quote="jonceebee"]
... it looks like the 5w-30w is for Diesel engines only ... [/QUOTE]
Yes, and if so
this faq
may need some clarification.
1.2 DIG-T Acenta 2014
bone_tone

Post by bone_tone »

Yes, that's what our local Glyn Hopkins didn't have! When they tried to sell me the 5w30, I pointed out that it said on the bottle that it was for DPF vehicles....

I investigated the online purchase, as per your link, but the P & P made the oil very expensive - I got some Total 5w40 from Amazon in the end.
Deleted User 759

Can we please keep the discussion regarding oil type on the FAQ thread to prevent this thread getting cluttered with side track information
Deleted User 759

So just had a call from Nissan UK regarding the oil loss. Again, they are saying 'its a characteristic'. and there is nothing they can presently do. I explained to them to claim that 'its a characteristic', they must know how and why the oil is being consumed. He just said "I perfectly understand but Nissan Technical have stated this is the case and have no further answers'. Great! He confirmed that a discussion around a bulletin around this subject but there is no indication of what it contains, or a date. He said that they usually get a 'snippet' of information and a rough date when they are being finalised, but presently there is no further information. I asked for a complaints procedure to go beyond this call, he simply said there isn't anything they can do, the case would simply land back on his desk and he would end up giving the same answer. So now I am thinking, is there any other direction I can go in other than replacing the car. I don't think there is! I am snookered! If I leverage the SOGA, as its over 6 months old, it is down to me to prove the existence of a fault. I have to give Nissan 'fair opportunity' to resolve any problems which if they tell me they are to 'release a bulletin regarding the fault' then this is what they are doing, in addition they have had the car back and although done a visual inspection, there is not much more they have to do as its over 6 months old and again, falls to me at my cost if I want any further internal tests to be completed (which incidentally where not offered but this will be the dealer protecting me...). In addition, there is the tolerance issue. Nissan claim the engine is consuming within tolerance, regardless of how daft that tolerance is, its still within their consumption tolerance! So... snookered... I think. Another concern in my head is no suggested date or snippit as to what the consumption could be caused by. If its the simple case of changing from 5w30 to 5w40 oil, if they only tell me this towards the end of the warranty then I may not have enough time to fully test it before the 3 year mark where I need to make a decision to trade in, or to keep it!
Deleted User 759

I posted this topic on another forum, one I go on a lot that I know a lot of fairly clued up people use: thread here:http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/ipb/index.ph ... onsumtion/ Some interesting responses to it, completely opposite from what I expected to see! Essentially so far they are all saying 'its normal'!