1.2 DIG-T - Oil loss

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
s-mart1

Post by s-mart1 »

Hello, thanks for the DVLA reminder.

I do not own a Qashqai but instead a Pulsar Tekna with that 1.2 DiG-T engine. The posts here seem more relevant so I hope you do not mind my intrusion. Maybe we can both learn.

The car was taken on lease, for 2 years, in Aug 2015, so Nissan cannot run away from the problem but they tried. I have spent about 18 months having more contact with Nissan than I wish.

The oil problem. It was there from day 1. As it is a lease car I am not really supposed to touch the car. I should go every few months to the dealer who shall top up anything that needs topping up. So I never even bothered to check anything at first. The first sign of the oil problem was not as to be expected. The car has an oil alarm if the level is too low. To this day the alarm has not come on. Instead, the car began to refuse to start. You would press the start button but it just wouldn't start.

The car lease came with AA breakdown recovery. I used it after about 3 months. They guy scratched his head, had a look around and then realised there was no oil in the car. He looked at me like I was an idiot ... So he topped up the oil, charged me for it, and the car started straight away. I complained to Nissan about this. I wanted an oil top-up refund because I am not supposed to need to service the car myself. They refused. Life went on.

As time went on the same problem happened again. I learned to carry some oil in the boot. As soon as I added oil the car would start. I eventually complained to Nissan. They told me the oil indicator should have come on. Then a mechanic said that turbo engines do use up oil. Well a new one on me, but I decided to plod along.

I decided to take photo's at the beginning and end of month. The car never got that far. So I decided to take it to the dealer everytime these things happened.

They eventually had enough of me and I took the car in this morning for a one week 'check'. Before I even left they told me that they are changing the engine. The same mechanic was apologetic, and I could see he had been 'towing the party line'.

I have the option to buy the car at the end of the lease in August. It all depends on how well the car goes once it is returned in 6 days time. A new working engine on an 18 month old car is a nice thing. I shall run it in gently as I intend to keep it if it no longer lets me down.

Nissan have a lot of making up to do. There have also been other problems. The battery only lasted 12 months. They said they shall monitor it once the new engine is in. Also, the tyres only last about 10,000 miles. And the window seals pop out; they have fixed this now.

Having said all of that. I still like the car a lot. It has good road handling and the turbo is great. It feels more like a 1.8 or 2.0. It is a pleasure to drive after it starts up.

I shall keep you informed as I intend to get everything sorted before August.

Mart

Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

Thanks for your post Matt... similar story to others, but yous seems to be more on the catastrophic side compared to mine.
Glad its getting sorted, but do check to see exactly what they are replacing I you plan to keep it.

It seems as though the common theme is to replace the 'short block' rather than the full engine (unless there has been a catastrophic failure). This is the bottom end (pistons, crank....) but fit the head that came with the car. If it is just the short block, then I would urge caution on buying the car after the 2 years due to you running the car out of oil multiple occasions.

If its a full engine replacement (short block, head, turbo....) then it will be like starting again.

As for running in, there are plenty of people, and good sources that say running an engine in by 'babying it' can do more long term harm than good. I will use the term 'making progress' is probably a better way to drive the engine, whilst keeping the revs under 4kprm, then increasing it through the first 1000 miles.
Karlyndon65

Post by Karlyndon65 »

I took my 1.2 dig-t quasqai into local dealer this morning , going back in o.n 20th February for new engine and complete suspension bushings overhaul , not sure what model I have lol could be ntec plus perhaps
Karlyndon65

Post by Karlyndon65 »

2015 , 1.2 tekna+ I think , been in 8 days for new engine suspension bushings , dealer never contact me yet I rang them , seemed confused , have Juke 1.5 out on loan , would be happy too hold onto it lol
Montytb4

Post by Montytb4 »

Morning fellow QQers, - what is the collective for a group of QQ drivers?

An update on my QQ since the short engine change...

I thought everything was going to be sorted now with the oil loss situation since the change, however!!
As its been 2 months & I've covered approx 1000 miles I decided to check the oil level last weekend. I followed the same procedure - warmed it up & left it 10 minutes for the oil to drop back down. To my horror I found that the oil level was already below half way between min & max.........

This cannot be right, when I picked it up the dealer said that they had tested it thoroughly & rechecked the levels before I took it away, plus I checked it as well at the time, so I know its not that the oil has been finding its way round the engine , etc. I've not over revved it, no higher than 3500.
Surely Nissan aren't dispatching a dodgy batch of replacement short engines.

I do wonder if its also the timing belt issue that has been mentioned here, that is noisy & I don't think my dealer checked that - I mentioned the technical bulletin when they had it in before, but the chaps on the desk weren't aware of any instruction from Nissan, just this is all under warranty so Nissan have to agree to the work anyway.

I went to the dealer yesterday & the chaps on the service desk agreed that it didn't sound good so its booked in for further diagnosis at the end of the month (earliest date available!), 3 weeks to burn more oil.

MPG is still lousy as well, I know its been cold(ish) & the heating/fan etc are on a lot, but I've had no higher than 32mpg since getting it back.

I'll give another update after its been in.
cheers
M
2015 1.2 N-Tec in Bullish Bronze :-) - Moved on!
2018 1.2 N-Connecta in Vivid Blue :D
Deleted User 759

Mine is nearly at the 1000 mark, will try and give it a check later, but driving wise mine 'feels' better than it did before and picks up the pace eagerly.... MPG is no better than before, but I didn't really expect it to be with my driving style.

My run in procedure has been a staged increase in RPM. I have not been nannying though. No more than 3500 for the first 250 miles, then to 4000, then at 500 miles, 4500, and I'm currently on 5000 and as soon as I hit the 1000 miles I will wind it up to the red line a few times but avoiding the limiter. I hit these 'infrequently', but make a point of hitting them a couple of times on the way to work each morning on the slip road onto the motorway with wide open throttle (so its already nice and warm, its downhill slip road, and nice safe area to increase speed). If you think about it, a brand new engine is the WHOLE engine being run in. A replacement short block is just the piston rings and bearings being broken in which should not take too long at all in reality, but IMHO it needs to be shown these sorts of revs .
Montytb4

Post by Montytb4 »

Just found this article in The Guardian about the 1.2 Turbo engine problems, it even mentions & includes a link to the Forum:
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/ ... l-problems

it also gives some advise on our rights. You never know, It might just stir Nissan into better action.
Deleted User 759

So....

Engine rebuild was done, then a month later a service I thought all was well. Nothing mentioned to me at service about any oil loss or any concern and keeping an eye on the dip stick shows no movement or than the usual slight variance.

However I noticed when I parked the car up on a slope that there was a drip of something under the car. After moving it back onto my drive I had a quick look..... Under tray covered in oil. This explains the spots on my drive way which I originally thought was the Micra (Which is also loosing oil, but I have come to terms with that one!)

Really REALLY getting so fed up with this Qashqai now. It has been nothing but a curse.

Worst car I have ever owned.
Montytb4

Post by Montytb4 »

Hi Splank,

That doesn't sound good, could be the service mechanic failed to tighten up the sump plug correctly.

For mine, its now been nearly 5 months since the short engine rebuild, I've covered about 2300 miles. When I had done 1000 miles I checked the dipstick & found the oil level was already down to the half way mark on the stick!!
I called into the dealer & got it booked it for them to have a look, by the time I took it in I had done another 300 miles & the level was just above the minimum mark!
The dealer ran diagnosis tests & couldn't find any issues. They contacted Nissan Technical who told them to top the oil & then get me to do another 3000 miles & then check the level! - I pointed out that the car would be serviced before I would do another 3000 miles.
The service manager also pointed me to the section in the manual that mentions oil use, you know the bit "Oil use can be high for new engines, if after 3000 miles the oil use is greater than 500ml for every 621 miles (500Km), contact your dealer" he then said "you reported the oil level was just above the minimum mark after 1300 miles, so that's within tolerance"!!
Whilst he had the manual open at that page, I showed him the difference in the dipsticks illustrated & that the one in mine wasn't the one shown on the page - he just shrugged his shoulders.
I also asked if they had the serial number for the block as the log book needs changing, he agreed that was correct, BUT if they did have it, it would be lost in their paper work somewhere!!

I've since done another 1000 miles & I'll be honest the oil level has only dropped about a 1/4 (250mls), so a bit better, still not great!
the oil is quite dark as well which I wouldn't have thought it would be after the rebuild.

I have discovered another problem since the change, the air con is not getting as cold, I've got it booked it next week for them to look at, but I think they will try & say its got nothing to do with the engine change!
cheers
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Montytb4, ref your comment on the Air Con. I would suggest you sit down with a Beer and take a look at the Posts relative to the Air Con Problems. Take a "Search" and get genned up on the Faulty Condensers Problems & Gas Top Up charges. Ours has had no top ups, just a New Condenser and it is fine. Just a suggestion so you are prepared - Dave ;)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken