cvt gearbox

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
jackdaww

Post by jackdaww »

i am reading a lot of negative comment in the cvt automatic gearbox.my own experience with a nissan primera 2litre petrol has been very good .at 14 yrs old , current mileage is 143000 and engine and gearbox have been faultless. otherwise over 40 years driving automatics most standard automatics gave trouble before 100000 miles.
jackdaww2015-06-22 09:03:24
Qashqai acenta 1.2 petrol xtronic jan2016 - flame red - no bells and whistles.

previous , now departed , Primera 2l petrol cvt 2001 147000 faultless miles.

Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

You cant really compare the CVT in the Primera and the CVT in the QQ, they are completely different animals. It does seem that complaints about the CVT box in the 1.6DCI have calmed down since the software update at the start of the year.
jackdaww

Post by jackdaww »

many thanks for response .i dont know what the differences are , are they mechanical or software ?it seems to me the cvt being simpler is inherently more reliable than conventional boxes .much of my mileage has been towing a 14ft caravan, for which it is well suited .ps. i am new to this board , i didnt get an email generated by your response , i think i have elected to recieve email notifications .

Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

The differences will be both hardware and software between the Primera and QQ. Think of it like the car itself... although yes both are cars, both have 4 wheels, 5 seats and an engine, they are not the 'same' overall. New technology and enhancements will have been found over the years and introduced. Since the Primera, Renault has had a lot of influence in Nissan and now share an awful lot of parts, including the engines which are generally Renault built with Nissan influence. I understand their behaviour has changed as well (rather than holding revs, they 'drive through the rev range and change gear' as per normal fixed ratio auto boxes). As for suitability for towing, I have no idea. I am sure some of the guys on here do tow using their autoboxes but I am a fan of manual gearboxes myself and my only experience of driving a CVT box was a loaner car in a 1.2 Micra!! I assume your Primera is a P11-144 rather than a P12? The P11 and the P11-144 versions of the Primera were extremely good, well built cars and with the SR20DE engine bolted in made them more or less bullet proof (well apart from the drive shafts!) as long as you kept feeding it fresh oil, they can take a lot of abuse before they started to complain! I miss my P11 2.0 a lot!!
golfingbiker

Post by golfingbiker »

Hi, I'm new to the club having owned a QQ for just over a year. Interested to read about the cvt problems. I'm now on my third since developing a fault in January. Can anyone point me in the right direction for information on positive outcomes?
jackdaww

Post by jackdaww »

[quote="golfingbiker"]Hi, I'm new to the club having owned a QQ for just over a year. Interested to read about the cvt problems. I'm now on my third since developing a fault in January. Can anyone point me in the right direction for information on positive outcomes?[/QUOTE]can i ask please which model you have .is it a diesel ??thanksps.i suggest a positive outcome for you would be a full refund , 3 boxes in six months is appalling.

Terryteabag

Post by Terryteabag »

Hello Golingbiker.Sorry to hear about your CVT related problems with your QQ.My new Car delivered in March this year had a faulty gearbox from new. I took it back to the dealership with 700 miles on the clock and told them I was no longer prepared to drive it.I told them I had taken legal advice on how to pursue this from my motoring association (CSMA) which included replacement or repair under the Sale of Goods Act and conditions for complete rejection and refund. Finance and deposit on credit card are also tools to help win your request.Had loan cars straight away while they ran diagnostic tests and after inspection by Nissan technicians and represetatives from the gearbox manufacturer fitted a new box.Thought this would be ok but in just under 1000 miles it went again. This time I took it back and again told them I would not be driving it again and I considered my options were total refund or new factory replacement.I said I expected to be back where I was when first purchasing the car and if I were to accept a new car it must not be a stock model but a new factory built replacement.Faulty box was confirmed as before ( they think this time caused by debri or bits from the old box in the oil pipe work and oil cooler damaging the new box).Garage handled my claim with Nissan UK who have agreed to supply a new car. Initial delivery date 11 Sept 2015 although my contact at Nissan has just advised a new factory scedule may make one available by 17 July 2015.The Dealership in Salisbury have been very supportive in loaning me automatic cars and doing all the negotiations with Nissan.Have I done the right thing agreeing to this? It is one of the nicest cars I have ever driven so only time will tell.If this one fails it will be a total refund request handled by my solicitors.Hope you get the solution you want.Terry
July 2015 1.6 dCi Tekna 130 Xtronic Gun Metallic
golfingbiker

Post by golfingbiker »

Thanks for the quick response. My QQ is the 1.6 Tekna diesel.
Didn't think about the owners club forum until a friend suggested it.
Dealers response is that they have only seem 2 or 3 faulty boxes. Have to write to Nissan. Offered to change to a new car with manual box for 6 grand. Joke! Sale of goods act is in favour of manufacturer after 6 months ownership. Original trade off by government to the motoring lobby. Have my son working on the legal aspects. Enough out there, to go for latent design defect.