Intercooler oil leak 1500 dci 2010 model

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
chatterbox

Post by chatterbox »

Hi, just noticed tonight have an oil leak from inter cooler, not had chance to really check it out tonight. Is this common problem or am I just unlucky, only done 40,000 miles, 2010 model. Is due the oil change now and oil is very black. Leak seems to be at the passenger side at bottom of intercooler, but also does seem to have a very tiny damp patch at bottom of drivers side alsoDoes it have O rings where pipes are fitted, could that be an option, was hottest day of year yesterday, would that cause a problem, am at work all day so am lookin for any help or advice please
Is there supposed to be oil going through there?

Had posted this in wrong section under wrong heading of oil cooler so have now posted problem here Ihope correctly, sorry

Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

Intercooler should not, and never should contain any significant amount of oil, although there will be a thin coating inevitably from the closed breathing system, unless the tubo seals are faulty. If there is oil at the joints it will be carried by pressurised air escaping and will need the joints tightening up slightly to stop it.A bad oil leak into the intake system could theoretically pool at the bottom of some intercooler radiators, only to reach a certain level and to be syphoned over into the cylinders, which will result in its uncontrolled combustion and likely a grenading engine.[TUBE"]]5zx3qKX_Pno[/TUBE"]]
Quacker2015-07-04 11:48:24
chatterbox

Post by chatterbox »

Thanks for the info. The day it happened was the hottest day and was a little damp patch about two inchs wide after a hard day driving around in the heat.
I checked oil level and it was halfway up the mark on dipstick but it is now due for the regular oil change so topped it up to see what happens.
Yesterday was again just a few drops after turning off, no problems in running of car and level has not dropped as far as I can see.
Have taken off the drip tray at front of car and looks like an oil mist has covered the bottom corner at passenger side and looks like has been there a while.
Still getting a couple of drips after driving to and from work, a couple of miles there and same back again, just as engine gets warm.
Not had a chance yet to try to clean the area up as yet to see if is a loose connection or anything else there.

Is a couple of drops a lot ?
Am hoping to get it down to main dealers sometime this week so they can have a look but must admit I am worried
Any idea of what costs might be involved as I have heard new turbo is expensive?
Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

[quote="chatterbox"]Thanks for the info. The day it happened was the hottest day and was a little damp patch about two inchs wide after a hard day driving around in the heat.I checked oil level and it was halfway up the mark on dipstick but it is now due for the regular oil change so topped it up to see what happens.Yesterday was again just a few drops after turning off, no problems in running of car and level has not dropped as far as I can see.Have taken off the drip tray at front of car and looks like an oil mist has covered the bottom corner at passenger side and looks like has been there a while.Still getting a couple of drips after driving to and from work, a couple of miles there and same back again, just as engine gets warm.Not had a chance yet to try to clean the area up as yet to see if is a loose connection or anything else there.Is a couple of drops a lot ?Am hoping to get it down to main dealers sometime this week so they can have a look but must admit I am worriedAny idea of what costs might be involved as I have heard new turbo is expensive?[/QUOTE]
There's no real answer to that, because it depends on many things, but yes, it shouldn't drip at all. That does not mean that there is something seriously wrong other than a slack joint or a small hole in the pipe. It does justify further investigation to sort it out. I doubt if it is anything that will cost much to sort.
chatterbox

Post by chatterbox »

Thanks for your help and advice.

Oh well, fingers crossed. Will just have to see what dealership says when I get it down there.

Cheers.
tomrock7
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by tomrock7 »

Did you get this sorted out?