Terrible MPG 1.6dci

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

I double checked mine last night.When the car is idling or the stop/start is engaged:The readout goes fully to the left (i.e the "bar" is totally empty).It doesn't go all the way to the right as shown in the original picture.The fact i also get much better fuel economy in my "small" engined petrol would be a cause for concern.I still suspect the air filter.If the garage hasn't checked something as simple as that i'd despair...
Nissan no more...

Atif

Post by Atif »

I can confirm duncho's post. BC says average 6.0 l /100 km, in real life little bit more. And while idling, this "bar" is full (max fuel usage).
Qashqai 1.6 CVT 2014
Qash

Post by Qash »

If display is showing MPG than is showing empty and if display showing L/100km than is showing full bar. It's not as strange as you stand still. Many cars changes the display measurement to Liters / hour because that make more sense.Qash2015-07-14 12:05:49
QQ BUSINESS+ (Tekna 17")1,5 dci
Deleted User 1450

Post by Deleted User 1450 »

[quote="El Brillante"]Langy, can you check the display at idle (assuming not stop/started obviously!) for me please?[/QUOTE]When idling, you don't see the blue bar
duncho

Post by duncho »

That is very interesting point Qash! I will try to switch mine from l/100km to MPG in order to check whether this fix incorrect idling consumption readings. If yes, than it is software issue which could be easily fixed. However, I doubt Nissan will move a finger as they are so reluctant to any bugs reported.
As you said, other makes switch reading to l/hr instead MPG.
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
El Brillante

Post by El Brillante »

I'll try swapping mine to MPG as well.

Took air filter out, its black and very oily (although pretty sure that's normal on an oil burner). Did a short run without the filter and inlet pipe, economy back to vaguely normal (around 6, instead of the current 10+ so yet another trip to the useless dealer and I'll get them to replace the filter and once again attempt to persuade them about the rattles that they seem unable to accept exist!
Atif

Post by Atif »

Yes, swapping works.
Qashqai 1.6 CVT 2014
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

There's no reason why the air filter on a diesel car would be more oily in use tgan a petrol car. They are both breathing the same air.
Geezso

Post by Geezso »

The only way to check this is to fill with 10 litres, do some driving and repeat. Mental calculations and your done. Sounds like something is tainting your readings. Have you tried to reset all counters including trip a and b? Then try again?
2015 Qashqai 115 Dig T - Gun Metalic
2015 Note Dig S - Black
Geezso

Post by Geezso »

Also, in theory a full bar would be 99+ miles to gallon/ litres per km. Empty bar would signify your using fuel faster than it can be displayed ie 1 mpg or as idling 0 mpg as your burning fuel foing nowhere.Geezso2015-07-14 23:31:22
2015 Qashqai 115 Dig T - Gun Metalic
2015 Note Dig S - Black