Radiator Fan stays on after turning engine off.

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Zach Nicodemous

Post by Zach Nicodemous »

Hi Folks,

I just want to query some behaviour that I have been getting since I picked up my Qashqai on July 31st. I have assumed this behaviour to be normal, but I just want to double check.

I have noticed that sometimes the radiator fan stays on sometimes for as long as 10 minutes after I have turned off the engine.

There doesn't seem to be any pattern. Sometimes its after a long drive, sometimes its after a short 5 minute drive. Today it occured after a 15 minute drive that I would class as "relaxed", meaning I didn't do any harsh acceleration or anything like that.

This is a 1.6 Diesel Tekna model. 2700km on the clock so far.

Thanks
Zach

Edit: Just editing to add that I am based in Paphos, Cyprus. Normally that information is included under my profile name, but it seems to have gone since the forum change. I only mention this in case the higher temperatures here might play a part. It was around 32c here today when this behaviour occured. In previous weeks, its been as hot as 48c and even at these higher temperatures, this behaviour was intermittent.

johnbull

Post by johnbull »

I would suggest that is normal behaviour given the temperatures involved , otherwise the turbo and engine could continue cooking nicely with all that latent residual heat.
Drive carefully, Live longer
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

agreed; just keep your hands clear of fan after parking up. Even if off, it could kick in.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
Tumble

Post by Tumble »

Just logged on to ask the same question. I am in the UK and just had it happen for the third time. The certainly doesn't feel hot and no indicators come on but it does smell a little. Only just clocked a 1000 miles.
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

In the 9-10 weeks I have had my 1.6dCi, it has done the radiator fan trick twice. In neither case was the outside temperature high, not had the car been on a long run. Temperature indicator on the dash was completely normal. The fan went off after what seemed ages but was probably 6-7 minutes. Maybe it's just a quirk of that particular model?
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
jet

Post by jet »

During the last 9 months and 10k miles I have observed this behavour twice . Both times after steep climb and ambient temperatures below 15 C.

While I've always thought that's typical for italian and french cars, I was a bit surprised the first time I saw the QQ doing that. Having driven Nissans for the past 10 years I have never had that before. That's why I used to wait for the fan to stop and let the engine cool down before turning it off.
1.5 dCi MT Premium
Zach Nicodemous

Post by Zach Nicodemous »

Interesting that you mention the "steep climb" Jet as its a rather steep drive up to my house from Paphos - my house is at 1150 feet and the climb goes from 250 feet to 1150 feet in about 3 kilometers.

Its always after one of these climbs, when I park outside of my house, that this behaviour occurs.

What baffles me is that its not EVERY time - and during the summer when it was 48c some days, with the a/c on high, this didn't happen all the time.

Right now I am in the Troodos Mountains, which involved a 40 minute drive from 300 feet up to 6000 feet with the outside temperature at 32 celcius and after this particularly steep climb, the radiator fan did NOT exhibit this behavior.

So it seems to be utterly random. When you might expect it, it does not do it. When you do not expect it (for example, it was cooler a few days ago so no air conditioning, and I drove home rather slowly compared to normal) it DOES do it :/

Edit: Also just noted that your on a 1.5 Diesel rather than a 1.6 which is interesting because it means this behaviour is occuring on two different engines. Makes it even harder to see if this is a defect or if this is "normal" behaviour.
Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

Have had this occur on various cars fitted with electric fans for many years. Its quite normal and the fan may come on a few minutes after the engine has stopped sometimes.

There is also often an electric water pump that circulates coolant through the turbo and cylinder head on many modern turbo diesels, including Nissan/Renault engines, after the engine has been shut down. This makes a whine kind of sound when pumping.
Maz G

Post by Maz G »

Hi all ...

Just had the same problem with my QQ and i am also in Cyprus (Limassol) ... maybe QQ are effected by the heat in Cyprus :D

Car only has approx 520 KM on the clock and after a 40 min drive .. traffic and highway when i switched off the engine the fan was still working quite loud for 5-6 mins ...

After a couple of hours took it for a short 10 minute drive and all is fine ... I willl keep an eye on it and see if it happens again .. I was a bit concerned but i have no warnings or warning lights and car seems fine so far

Regards
Maz
Kentishman

Post by Kentishman »

It is not a problem but normal behaviour. Had this sort of fan an every car I have had in the last twelve years. I agree you may not detect pattern by which it works but I have never had a problem
Tekna 1.6 CVT Nightshade