1.5 dCi Engine Oil

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
qashqai666

Post by qashqai666 »

So, appreciate the comments so far, as for engines I do know the ins and outs of them, the oil consumption in my opinion is excessive to say the least, as for them being full at birth then I suspect they are, as I work at the factory doing maintenance I know one of the first things production complain about is that fluid fill is not working correctly, also, they are checked on the final line to make sure the levels are OK, and then I would expect the PDI at the dealer's would highlight any more issues, so, where is the oil going .....

Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

I really cant see the point in getting too excited about the oil level marks on the dipstick.
If you're on the minimum mark then you've got enough in to do the job, but you could do with adding more before too long.
If you're on the max mark then again you're completely fine.
If youre somewhere inbetween, then what the hell, you're still ok.
If read correctly, on level ground, then an indication of max is not going to pose any problems at all. The engines are designed with safety margins in mind. Minimum is enough and maximum is not too much.
Stick to topping up to the max mark and its far easier to keep an eye on things when doing your maintenance.
qashqai666

Post by qashqai666 »

A modern engine should not use this much oil , the last 1.5 DCI that I had used nothing between services , that's the issue !!!
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

The oil should be checked when cold (as stated in the handbook). There will be some room after the max mark, granted not much but should take into account of any expansion of the fluid which in all fairness will be limited.

If it was meant to be 'somewhere in between', then deals would just do it to half way rather than maxing it out (or in the last couple of services on mine, over filled!).

As for the oil loss, the 1.2DIG-T is a petrol engine. it maybe a similar fault, but it would be best to keep the 2 threads separate as the engines are wildly different.
qashqai666

Post by qashqai666 »

I checked it when it was hot , that to my mind means the real level is even lower , given that the oil will expand to some degree with heat ....
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

U won't see the expansion with your eye
qashqai666

Post by qashqai666 »

I did say to some degree lol , anyway , where's the oil gone ....
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

If there is no external leak anywhere, then its either mixing with the water, or more than likely being burnt through combustion.
qashqai666

Post by qashqai666 »

SplanK wrote:If there is no external leak anywhere, then its either mixing with the water, or more than likely being burnt through combustion.
Must be , none is going on the floor , coolant level is fine , no clouds of smoke though , so it must be a fine gradual loss over time , somewhat worrying to be honest ....