Battery problems

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Bluey59

Post by Bluey59 »

Dave was this a FIAMM battery? There is known manufacturing defect for these batteries fitted to early J11 qashqais. If you do a search on this forum theres plenty of posts regarding this. Mine was replaced a few weeks a go by my local main agent, car was just out if warranty but managed to get it replaced for £51 (75% discount) as its a known problem, no harm in go to customer services and logging your complaint
2014 Blade silver 1.5 dci NTEC

daddydoug
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by daddydoug »

Dave, I would certainly give it a go with Nissan. My battery has just failed but luckily the car is still under warranty and was replaced (under warranty) without any question as Nissan are aware of the FIAMM battery problem. The dealer did tell me that Nissan haven't done a recall on this issue as they didn't know which cars the batteries were fitted to, but as they crop up then they are replaced, no question. So although yours is out of warranty, it might be worth trying. Good luck.

Daewar, I think I replied to your question re fuel consumption on another post. Personally I did not notice any change in fuel consumption. However I also had to have my air intake temperature sensor replaced (another item Nissan are aware there is a problem with), and the dealer told me that when this part fails, fuel consumption could increase!

Although it took three trips to my dealer to get my replacement parts, touchwood, the car is now fine. Stop/Start system failure cured, cruise control and speed limiter working again and no engine malfunction light on the dash. Happy days (fingers crossed).

Good luck with your challenge Dave, should you wish to accept it!

Cheers
Doug
Magnetic Red 2015 Qashqai Tekna 1.6 Dci130 Xtronic. Now replaced with a Nissan Juke Tekna plus in Gunmetal Grey (2021)
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Thanks daddy

I'm going to take your advise & get Nissan to take a look.
daddydoug wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:11 pm Dave, I would certainly give it a go with Nissan. My battery has just failed but luckily the car is still under warranty and was replaced (under warranty) without any question as Nissan are aware of the FIAMM battery problem. The dealer did tell me that Nissan haven't done a recall on this issue as they didn't know which cars the batteries were fitted to, but as they crop up then they are replaced, no question. So although yours is out of warranty, it might be worth trying. Good luck.

Daewar, I think I replied to your question re fuel consumption on another post. Personally I did not notice any change in fuel consumption. However I also had to have my air intake temperature sensor replaced (another item Nissan are aware there is a problem with), and the dealer told me that when this part fails, fuel consumption could increase!

Although it took three trips to my dealer to get my replacement parts, touchwood, the car is now fine. Stop/Start system failure cured, cruise control and speed limiter working again and no engine malfunction light on the dash. Happy days (fingers crossed).

Good luck with your challenge Dave, should you wish to accept it!

Cheers
Doug
marath
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by marath »

Dear Forum

First I must apologize for my very poor English.

I have a 2012 1.6 qashqai and the first original battery last 4 years. Those times the car was used every days. Then I bought another car and this one starts used fewer. The battery dies. So I bought the best in my near market, a VARTA AGM E39 https://www.batterymegastore.co.uk/varta-e39.html .
One year and the battery is gone. Now they say to me the Nissan alternator has no skills to charge correctly a AGM battery and I must have a Freshpack battery, because this is the original battery for this car.

Any thoughts?

Thanks to you all
Marath
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Did you get the car computer reset after changing the battery? The J11 QQ computer increases the charge as a bettery gets older, I guess it is similar with the J10. If the computer is not reset when fitting a new battery it will be over charged and its life shortened by a large amount.
mikesmorris

Post by mikesmorris »

Hi - the qashqai battery issue rumbles on. My 2016 1.2digT battery died at the weekend. RAC arrived promptly and full test condemned the battery but couldnt source a new one - the guy said they were faulty - suggested take to main dealer after trickle charging for hours. Took to bishops guildford this morning who replaced it straight away with no quibble at all . when I suggested it should perhaps have been a recall issue the guy's body language totally agreed but he couldnt say so! Must have been a huge number of faulty ones but perhaps Nissan hope some of them will survive the three year warranty. Very pleased with bishops but not so sure about Nissan policy on this. Will think twice about another one.
mikesmorris

Post by mikesmorris »

hello. my Jan2016 1.2digt is now on its 3rd battery - two warranty replacements. Most recent about a month old. independent auto electrican says there is a 0.24A draw when in sleep indicating electrical fault. main dealer was given this report but insists there is no problem. Apart from tearing my hair out and waiting for the 3rd battery to die can anyone suggest a course of action please? many thanks Mike
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

Battery theory states that an 80 Amp/Hour Car battery can deliver 10 Amps for 8 hours. Arithmetic variance of that leads to 0.25 Amp (leakage) at about 300 hours. Batteries vary a bit and are cyclically charged so the leakage could be overcome if charging frequent enough.

A month indicates a serious failure to charge properly (car usage/fault). Was the car checked for adequate charging performance?

I have experience of this little game with a Focus Titanium and the place I never went to was Ford.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
mikesmorris

Post by mikesmorris »

thanks calnorth - they were supposed to check charging performance ..........
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

mikesmorris wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:58 pm thanks calnorth - they were supposed to check charging performance ..........
ok,

I always keep an eye on battery behaviour in winter with an external multimeter. My QQ is the same age as yours I suspect and as such in the Nav/Display system there is a "hidden" Service Status sub menu. It will show a number of readings and one is Battery/Power state and which the Engine Management uses.

You will be able to see if the alternator is working...with engine running should read about 14.5v
When car parked for a while/overnight you can get to that menu to see battery terminal volts...mine will start at 11.5v although its getting tight around that voltage. But you can monitor things from there...take some notes?

The way to get there:

Ignition on...Enter the System State function and see battery status. Check at different times as above...Power Supply

Follow attached vid.

Colin
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta