Battery problems

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
mikesmorris
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by mikesmorris »

Thanks for that Colin - will study video and links. independent auto electrics guy didn't do anything except the tests and produced a printout which apparently suggests there are circuits with issues but this info clearly didn't impress Bishops Guildford. Today's readings from hidden menu are overnight cold 12.47V, running after 20miles 13.3V ish.

I would still like to know about the consequences of disconnecting the battery leads - loss of codes or whatever - if anyone out there has experience it will be appreciated - Mike

calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

ok...just checked mine after 5 mile run with 2 starts and 2 days back. Stationary for 2 days = 12.02v

Its been to 11v the week before and starting ok from there.

I have a Bosch S5 battery standing by and if I loose ability to start with fitted Fiamm battery I'll swing the Bosch in, loss of DTCs or not. If any significant DTCs disappear am sure they will be back including battery swap.

But, I have RAC road assist so likely to go there first. I'll be watching the RAC man then? He doesn't have the Nissan CONSULT diagnostics but will have enough OBD gear to list fault codes and kill them...as required?
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

I was at 11.9v yesterday (24/02/19) pm having not driven the car for 3 days...opened a few doors though.

The other side of the Battery Problem story (non parasitic) is the insufficient charge event. That was discussed on this forum here (2015):

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3214

The specific gravity of the battery at various states and its impact on battery capacity is mentioned. Plus the degradation chemically..cell sulphation. Not sure how a hydrometer gets into a maintenance free battery...yet.

We are all doomed...
"When a battery is below 75% of full charge, sulfation (or hardening) of the plates begins to occur and permanent battery damage may result. It is important to keep batteries as fully charged as possible".

From link above: (No Starter Crank)
"Here you can see different battery drain under certain conditions as noted on the graph. It is understandable now, why car tries to put itself in battery saving mode when ignition or radio is ON".

Idle drain - car unlocking, ignition ON.png

1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Mrashruf

Post by Mrashruf »

Hi all,

I am experiencing the same battery drain issue on my QQ Tekna 2018 model.

2 weeks ago, it would not start. Called Rac, charged it and Nissan say they need 2 days to resolve it.
Car was fine until this Monday.
Would not start again, RAC checked and battery was dead but after a charge, tested fine. RAC determined that drain was very high on the battery in idle mode, shut down 2.3A.
Car is with Nissan dealership and got a call to say stating nothing is wrong, and after an overnight charge and they will check but should be able to pick up this evening.

Wonder if they expect anything to change or wait until the warranty runs out.

I did the running status check and all seems OK. When the battery is dead, you have no chance of checking it anyways.

Hopefully Nissan fix it soon for us all.
Roddie1952

Post by Roddie1952 »

Hi All

Like others my battery went flat without warning, after a lengthy run the day before. Got a jump start (it’s an automatic so jump leads carried for just this event), switched off stop/start option etc and drove home. Phoned Nissan dealer next morning who advised me my 2016 J11 probably had a battery from a faulty batch identified around that date. Booked in, given an overnight charge which showed only 85% charged next morning so battery condemned and new one fitted under warranty. So far, so good.
Mrashruf

Post by Mrashruf »

So, got my car back from dealer. Apparently the battery had to be charged up fully and no other draining or defects found. Fingers crossed that it solved the problem.
Joep874

Post by Joep874 »

Hi

Pretty new to this and looking for some answers.

My Qashqai J11 when driving Iv noticed the headlights flick between a normal light to a lower beam every couple of seconds. Also when I start the car if I pull off to quickly the auto start/stop fails (Faults)

Could this be a batty problem?

My car while off is reading - power supply 11.61v
My car while idling - power supply 14.19v

Anyone experience this?
mikesmorris

Post by mikesmorris »

Auto J11 with stop start issue. any advice appreciated. stop start wasnt working. Halfords said battery needed replacing which was done last week, stop start still not working. voltage reading on service menu approx 13v if that is relevant? have long trip coming up ion a few days and worried if charging system malfunctioning .........
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

mikesmorris wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:00 am Auto J11 with stop start issue. any advice appreciated. stop start wasnt working. Halfords said battery needed replacing which was done last week, stop start still not working. voltage reading on service menu approx 13v if that is relevant? have long trip coming up ion a few days and worried if charging system malfunctioning .........
There are a number of reasons for Stop/Start failures and the Battery is the simplest. You can check the Battery charging level in the Service Manual whilst driving. Can be between 13v and 14v which is ok.

The other reasons usually apply to problems with the engine, exhaust and ABS. If the ECU senses a problem as such it will disable Stop/Start because it cannot control the engine correctly. Could be a visit to Nissan...sorry.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta