Starting problem

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Trustrick

Post by Trustrick »

I have had this problem happen 3 Times now regarding my 1.6 Dig-T failing to Start when pressing start button.
Just got clicking sound and flashing indicator lights, pressed start button about 3 Times again and vehicle started, on getting back home thought it may be low main battery voltage although no low battery warning indicator showing.
Put the Battery on Charge overnight and vehicle started OK next morning.
The same thing happened about 2 weeks later and after being able to start it drove it down to my local Dealer, this time I noticed that the NATS warning light was showing Service Dept suggested putting new battery in Key Fob, this was carried out and no further problems for 6 weeks. This weekend same problem happened again tried my key fob & wife's key fob which also was fitted with a new battery.
Spoke to Dealer today who wants to book car in until they can get the problem to happen again. Has anyone else had this intermittent problem and identified the cause please ?.

MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

That clicking sound is reminiscent of a failing starter motor.
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)

Post by 298 »

It sounds like your battery is failing, and the car won't start due to the output voltage being too low.

It's such a common problem that there are plenty of threads on here regarding it, and Nissan really ought to have offered a recall to change the affected Fiamm batteries.
Last edited by 298 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2014 1.2 DiG-T Acenta Premium in Gunmetal Grey.
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

Symptomatic of dying battery - is it a Fiamm?
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
Daz8172

Post by Daz8172 »

I have the same problem. I start the car and suddenly a few lights on dashboard show up blinking and refuses to start, the NATS red icon is on dashboard appears when driving. Nissan supposed to have changed the battery but it does look like it.

Happened 5 times in the last month.

This is putting me of buying any car with keyless entry.
Nissan Qashqai, 1.6 dig-t 163, Gun Metal, Tekna, Pan sunroof, Spare wheel,
Trustrick

Post by Trustrick »

It is the Battery that was at fault with Mine, After numerous failures took in to Service Dealer, Battery was Replaced under Warranty, It seems to be a known problem with the FIAM Batteries with the dealers. My 163 DigT has been fine since Battery replaced. Hope you have the same outcome.
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

When I bought my car 2nd hand last March that was the exact same problem, just required a new battery.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
dblore
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by dblore »

I too had the same problem a week back. One fine morning, the car just about started. Then for the next few days, I had the same issue and at times, it did not start. And lots of random faults seen on screen. Stop/Start System Fault, Chassis Fault, etc.
I called NISSAN's RAC as part of my breakdown and after diagnosed, he told me that "I HAVE the wrong battery - FIAMM Battery". Once this is replaced, it has been OK.

My main point to highlight is , before the battery replace, I used to have high revs at low speed on a morning start.
This has gone away after the battery change. So in case you notice high revs at low speed, it could be the battery issue as well.

PS : This is my first post. I am posting because when I had trouble I had looked into this forum and was very useful. Thanks to all who take the time to post.
ncarr
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by ncarr »

Last night 13/10/18 i went out to my qashqai and it wouldn't start. Lights were all flashing.. click click click from under the bonnet.
So i called the nissan breakdown number, and the RAC were sent out. They were out within 15 mins.
He did a battery test and it came back saying it needed a replacement.
In my car was a FIAMM battery which the RAC chap mentioned that there had been lots of complaints and replacements.
The chap replaced the battery with a new Nissan battery and right now, seems to be running.

I bought the car as new in 2017, and from the start there had been a few electrical things come up, a flashing handbrake, with a red flashing warning light, sensors had played up. But as the problems seemed to rectify themselves, nissan said it would be pointless looking at the car unless they could actually see the issue.

Now we know why i was having these issues...