clutch pedal naturally heavy in QQs?

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Chris, I am no Nut Doctor :lol: but have you tried altering the Seat positions, up, down, forward, backward and the Polster for the Back Support. This is not a Joke because although I find the Clutch OK I do find I have to adjust the Seat position relative to what shoes I wear (Sports / with Heels - no not High Heels :lol: ) and what Jacket (Winter thick / Summer thin / without) as the tendency is to sit forward or back altering your Seating position and therefore your leg or heel position - this works for me Dave :)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken

chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

Cheers for the advice, I've been speaking to a physio tonight and where/how you sit is more important than i thought. If you are too far back so your leg is nearly straight when you press the clutch, you are using the muscles down the front of your lower leg which are more for fine control not strength. If you are in the correct position, about 70 degrees angle at your knee when you press, then it uses your upper leg muscles, the ones that support your body weight when you go upstairs etc.

As I've been getting a bit of pain, it's been a natural reaction for me to sit further back to "stretch my legs" as it feels more comfortable but I am potentially doing more damage that way.

Got a few exercises to try out to strengthen my knee/ankle. Maybe driving an auto for a bit has allowed those muscles to waste away! But I'm not driving a CVT again, it was horrible.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Chris, good that you took some medical advice and hope you get it sorted. So possibly I am a Nut Doctor ! - Dave :lol:
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Exjag

Post by Exjag »

chrisw99...totally understand your problem and for the other forum members that find it an odd subject to post, perhaps they should simply not read it?
The QQ clutch is sllightly heavy and like you I reallly prefer a lighter clutch. It's mainly down to Nissans choice of using a cheap method of operating the clutch components with a cable rather than a proper hydraulic system which does all the work for you.
2008 Qashqai Acenta 2L Petrol Manual
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

I don't find it heavy at all anymore. I had a year with an auto so didn't use any of those muscles, and had a neuroma in my foot. Few months down the line and all feels normal again.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
Exjag

Post by Exjag »

Maybe the same for me then, been driving an S Type prior to the QQ. Still prefer a lighter clutch though, more control and modulation.
2008 Qashqai Acenta 2L Petrol Manual