Suggestions please to help isolate low power issue

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
DadAnd3Boys
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by DadAnd3Boys »

Hi,
Qashqai+2 2011, 1.5 dci, 93k on the clock.

On a drive back from Scotland I had the Engine warning lights and anti-skid / traction control lights come on and reduced power. No unusual noises, a little more smoke - eventually went into limp mode and was recovered home on a tow truck.

Garage replaced the Air Intake pipe which had split, similar to another poster and sounds quite common (PBT-GF20) - I note this has a little play in the hose pipe connection so wondering if perhaps the seal's not right and it's leaking?

Now have car back, no engine warning lights, no stored codes, but also no power, I think the turbo's NOT kicking in.

Car will accelerate to 4k+ RPM, just doesn't have any pickup ... 'feels' like it's towing a truck trailer, but it idles fine, can rev engine to red line etc when stationary, it's just when driving it feels like a slug - like it's being starved as the build of speed etc is very very slow.

This sounds like it could easily be a 2k trial and error fix if I'm not careful so keen to trouble shoot it a bit more first if I can.

Car has done a lot of short drives in recent months but does get some good runs, and was London to Scotland when the failure occurred so I'm thinking the DPF shouldn't be the issue.. but it COULD be :( ??? Halfords Deep clean at 85 will credit this if it fails towards full repair but not sure what that'll cost and anyway - I don't have a DPF error).

I'm wondering if I might have a problem with the Turbo Gate, or the Actuator or a Turbo pressure leak?

Has anyone got any good ideas that might help narrow the problem ... the garage charged me 160 for replacing the first pipe that's worth 30 - 50 bucks, no issue paying for their time ... but they don't seem to have a good idea from here so I'm thinking Nissan or Renault dealer if I can't identify it myself.

Will I damage anything if on cold engine I try to find then work the Actuator arm to see if the Waste Gate is moving or stuck? .. will that even work without disassembly?

Do the Actuator's fail much in this car - seems cheaper / quicker than turbo replacement and no bad noises to indicate the turbo has actually failed 'yet'.

Could it be something else like the downstream o2 sensor? ... a friendly tech plugged in and reported an error there before the garage did their thing, but it's no longer showing and just about every error code was displaying when they got it before replacing the pipe and resetting, now there are no errors.

I have a OBD USB adapter and have tried a few apps (android), but if there's any tests there that might help it's an available tool.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

DadAnd3Boys
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by DadAnd3Boys »

see my other post for the resolution ... which was free!!! after the Air Intake PBT-GF20 broke, was replaced and the trouble codes cleared... the car basically just needed a few drive cycles (3-5 typically) to let the Engine Management System work out the problem again, get the DPF filter error then to trigger a DPF regeneration on a longer drive in 3rd or 5th at 2500 RPM ... needed this cycle twice.