Run in oil change, DCI 1.5 J11 N-Connecta

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
tim_n
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by tim_n »

Bought myself a prereg DCI 1.5 and it arrived finally on Thursday last week. Picked it up after dealership checks on Saturday.

Having checked the manual, I can't see anything in it about changing the oil after running in. It seems it's fine till 18,000m or 12m which ever is first?

Is there any specific reason why I shouldn't change the oil at 1,000m or 3,000m? I've seen mention of additives in the original oil which need to be burnt in on other brands, but nothing about it in QQ forums. If so, I have both genuine nissan DPF oil & filter to do it. I'm going to be fairly high mileage for the next six months - I do a fair bit of motorway driving at present. Have done my best to keep my speeds low and inconsistant (even though I couldn't do "short" journeys due to needing to be at work on the other side of the country)

Gel

Post by Gel »

Running In seems to be a thing of past as does oil change after 500 miles; certainly would do no harm to change
as you suggest & won't invalidate warranty.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
tim_n

Post by tim_n »

I've sent a query to Nissan to check. Will post if I find out differently!
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

There is no requirement for an early oil change. Just stick to what it says in the owners handbook. Doing it early is just an unnecessary expense.
david sunderland

Post by david sunderland »

Nissan won't like you doing it yourself do tro your dealer...but it does not need to be done oils are good now most BMW oils go 2years make sure you check with dipstick don't wait for lights ...dealers need to make money cars that don't break down not good for profits
Qashqai tekna 1.2 petrol dig 6. 3. 17. gunmetal grey. glass roof m\ t...............now RENAULT KADJAR GT 160 BHP same as the QQ same car
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Tim, I am most probably from the Old School & was in the Maintenance Game and playing safe we changed our Oil / Filter / Seal Ring at 2000kms and it is still running, but yes naturally it does cost as mentioned but then so does an engine problem. With the Manufacturing Techniques these days all parts should be nicely finished but there could just be that odd Burr of Steel flying around, our Dealer did actually also mention this and I cannot see why Nissan needs involving as you are taking more care of the engine and it is entered in our Service Book - Dave :)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
david sunderland

Post by david sunderland »

Dave I was also from the old school used to change oil and filter gearbox and diff 10 times a day as I worked as a kid in lube. Bay for main dealer and remember b.Leyland had magnets on sump plug to catch bits of steel and they were good but told don't need them now your oil filter does the job ......now 67 yrs and still changing oils on my daughters car
Qashqai tekna 1.2 petrol dig 6. 3. 17. gunmetal grey. glass roof m\ t...............now RENAULT KADJAR GT 160 BHP same as the QQ same car
Hackney

Post by Hackney »

DaveBerlin wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:09 pm Tim, I am most probably from the Old School & was in the Maintenance Game and playing safe we changed our Oil / Filter / Seal Ring at 2000kms and it is still running, but yes naturally it does cost as mentioned but then so does an engine problem. With the Manufacturing Techniques these days all parts should be nicely finished but there could just be that odd Burr of Steel flying around, our Dealer did actually also mention this and I cannot see why Nissan needs involving as you are taking more care of the engine and it is entered in our Service Book - Dave :)
Fully concur Dave Berlin,I have always had my oil changed @ the "free inspection service"(1,500ks) & paid for it.My son who builds engines(hi-performance) says that there can be a lot of contaminants etc.....it is certainly not going to hurt to "flush" them out.Cheers:):):)Ron🇦🇺🛫🛬🇸🇬🛫🛬🇬🇧(Very sooon!)
Living the dream!
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

As david sunderland says above, is this not the job of the oil filter?
Engines are better nowadays, as are machining tolerances, along with engine design, oils and lubricants etc. I do understand the old school way of thinking, but really think there is no need to waste time and money on unnecessary precautions. Each to their own though.
tim_n

Post by tim_n »

Thanks for the advice everyone. My friend who usually helps me out (read: generally does all the work) isn't about this weekend, so I may well leave it until 1,000m since no-one thinks it's urgent in any way. I'll drain down the oil through another filter to see what crud comes out. If nothing else it'll provide a pretty picture to give everyone lots of reassurance they don't need to do it.