Exhaust Noise at 2500/3000 Revs

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Trimike
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Trimike »

2015 Qashqai Dig-T 163N Petrol
From the first day there has been an irritating noise when accelerating. It is particularly audible in low gears at about 2500/3000 revs and eventually gets lost to road noise.
I can only liken to an exhaust pipe sound rattle. It’s also audible when changing gear mainly 1st, 2nd, 3rd, when you let your foot off the accelerator at 2500/3000 revs(There are occasional times when the noise is less prevalent and sometimes not at all).
It has been in the local Nissan dealer where they have replaced some plastic air pipes which has made no difference.
Any solution to eradicate this rattle please? Heat shields?

Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

On the diesels they have an annoying rattle where the airbox connects to the inlet. May we worth playing with that. Lots of info in the forum about airbox rattles.
Trimike wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:55 pm 2015 Qashqai Dig-T 163N Petrol
From the first day there has been an irritating noise when accelerating. It is particularly audible in low gears at about 2500/3000 revs and eventually gets lost to road noise.
I can only liken to an exhaust pipe sound rattle. It’s also audible when changing gear mainly 1st, 2nd, 3rd, when you let your foot off the accelerator at 2500/3000 revs(There are occasional times when the noise is less prevalent and sometimes not at all).
It has been in the local Nissan dealer where they have replaced some plastic air pipes which has made no difference.
Any solution to eradicate this rattle please? Heat shields?
Pandjh
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Pandjh »

Wasn't sure whether to reply as it might sound like I'm doubting your or the Nissan dealers analysis of the cause BUT your symptoms actually sound very similar (IMO) to mine which has been identified as being a malfunctioning cam-chain tensioner. It appears there are a lot of QQs with this issue as they have run out of said part in the UK and it's on back order (with no sign of any new parts arriving for over 3 weeks now). Of course we're talking about opposite ends of the car but tracking down noise sources can be quite a challenge.
2019 1.3 DiG-T 160 Tekna, black (J11b)
prev 2015 1.2 DiG-T n-tec+, black (J11)
prev 2009 1.5 dCi Acenta, black (J10)
Trimike

Post by Trimike »

Thank you for your replies. I’ve booked the car into the dealership for mid-October and will see what they can sort out.
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

I had a rattle which sounded like exhaust/heat shield rattle, although I only got it in reverse. I went under and made sure the heat shield wasn't touching anything, and the noise persisted.

Eventually I discovered it was something touching the heat shield from above. If you open the bonnet and look down right at the back you can see the top of the heat shield which covers the exhaust connection to the engine. There was some kind of cable just touching that, I moved it away and I never got the noise since.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
Trimike

Post by Trimike »

The noise was found to be two silver air condition pipes (front left hand side on the engine compartment) that were not clipped in properly and were then rubbing together creating the noise.
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

Pandjh wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:27 pm Wasn't sure whether to reply as it might sound like I'm doubting your or the Nissan dealers analysis of the cause BUT your symptoms actually sound very similar (IMO) to mine which has been identified as being a malfunctioning cam-chain tensioner. It appears there are a lot of QQs with this issue as they have run out of said part in the UK and it's on back order (with no sign of any new parts arriving for over 3 weeks now). Of course we're talking about opposite ends of the car but tracking down noise sources can be quite a challenge.
I'm getting a similar noise which I'm sure is a heat shield rattle or something similar, only under high acceleration in 2nd gear - usually when engine load is approaching 100%. I never hear it in first, but I noticed with an OBD app that you only reach about 50% engine load in 1st.

I saw your post above about the cam-chain tensioner so would like to rule that out as a first step. Did you get your noise when accelerating when idle/stationary, or was it only when moving under load? And how loud was it? MIne is only noticeable with windows down and going near a wall or something reflective?
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
fitnessfreak206

Post by fitnessfreak206 »

I have the same sounding noise which only happens from 2500-3000rpm when accelerating. It happens in every gear but is hered the loudest in the lower gears. Only happens when the car is under load (moving) I can’t replicate the noise when in neutral. Had it checked by Nissan when the car was two year old (said they couldn’t replicate the noise typical Nissan). Two independent mechanics both stated it was coming from the exhaust and its most likely culprit was a slightly loose baffle causing vibrating rattle at certain RPM. Both mechanics said it was not worth replacing exhaust system to fix something that doesn’t require fixing if you can put up with it 🤦‍♂️ the car is now nearly 9 years old and have been putting up with it for 7 years! But could put off any potential buyers if you came to sell your car.
m112

Post by m112 »

The heater matrix was causing noise when acceleration in my car. I used cable ties to tie them together and the noise has decreased dramatically