Won't start! :(

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Dowsy56
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by Dowsy56 »

Hi everyone after a bit of your advice if possible?
My dad has a 2011 1.6 diesel qashqai and we changed the bottom arm on the front yesterday, after completing the job my dad called and said the car won't start !
Going back to look at it it will crank over but won't fire and all lights on the dash board and the cooling fan is constantly running, i then connected the jump leads as though might be a battery problem and hey presto is started off my Car and everything is fine if you knock it off it starts back up but if you leave it for a little while it then won't start again until you connect jump leads, I was thinking it has to be the battery but if I connect the jump leads and don't start my vehicle it won't start my dads car either, mine has to be running for it to start which confused me a little, I've read a few things about start stop but his car doesn't seem to have it on.

Any help would be appreciated

Thankyou

Paul

Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

I find that jump leads, esp the cheaper ones often don't allow another car to start immediately.

I found this with my jump leads and my brothers car. Had to leave them connected for a few minutes to allow the voltage to come up first before it would start!
Exjag

Post by Exjag »

Cheap/thin jump leads are false economy, especially for a diesel engine due to the loads required. Are you able to check the battery voltage on your car, maybe you had a load drawing powere whilst you were fitting the arm, which has depleted the battery?
2008 Qashqai Acenta 2L Petrol Manual
david sunderland

Post by david sunderland »

What arm did you fit???....do donor cars still have to be running when using jump leads we use to make our own cables and add clips.....
Qashqai tekna 1.2 petrol dig 6. 3. 17. gunmetal grey. glass roof m\ t...............now RENAULT KADJAR GT 160 BHP same as the QQ same car
Exjag

Post by Exjag »

The draw on the 'donor' car is such that it should be running, to avoid draining its battery.
Dowsy56
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by Dowsy56 »

Thanks for your replys but after a few days of stress I think I've solved it. After thinking and being told it would be the battery I got one and tried it but no luck and it was just the same, so with the fan running as soon as the ignition was turned on I started to check fuse boxes around near the battery and right down under the battery there were some more boxes which had relays in and there was a brown one which was the relay for the fan had got so,e water into it so took it out and took it apart and give it a good clean as it was corroded and put back together and it's cured the problem and starts straight away now with no fan running so might be one to look out for because it was right down low, we actually moved the relay box further up and secured it.
Exjag

Post by Exjag »

Good job, nice to have a follow up as it can help others. The changing of the arm was a red herring then, but it might be an idea to find out how water got into the relay although it's location seems a bit of a bad idea by Nissan.