Gear selection problem

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Kaitsu
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Kaitsu »

I bought my 2014 J11 Acenta one year ago and am very pleased with it overall.

But I soon noticed that I was sometimes having difficulty selecting 1st or 2nd gear. It got progressively worse until on a couple of occasions I could not select either gear without driving the car forwards or backwards a little - this was becoming very embarrassing and dangerous at ,e,g, roundabouts.

It felt like there was some kind of metal bar blocking the selection.

So I took it to our dealer and they agreed to look at it under guarantee. They dismantled the gearbox and replaced a few components to do with the gear selector. The bill was about EUR 2000.

After this repair last December the car has driven fine although the gearbox is always a bit clumsy and clunky, especially with 1st and 2nd gears.

But recently I have experienced the same problem again on a few occasions and am concerned that the fault is returning for some reason.

I just wondered whether anyone else has had this kind of problemwith selection of 1st and 2nd gears?
2014 Acenta 1.2 DIG-T Manual, Pearl White

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Yes, usually just when the external temperature is below 7ºC and the car has been parked for over 10 or so hours. Start driving again and its back to normal straightaway. Sounds like its just thick gearbox oil, at least in my case.
Kaitsu
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Kaitsu »

gvmdaddy wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:06 pm Yes, usually just when the external temperature is below 7ºC and the car has been parked for over 10 or so hours. Start driving again and its back to normal straightaway. Sounds like its just thick gearbox oil, at least in my case.
Thanks for the reply gvmdaddy!

It is possible that the temp could be partly the cause as I live in the Nordic region and temps are already around 0ºC - and in the winter proper around 10-15ºC minus. But on the other hand, this occurs irrespective of the temp and even when having been driving for some hours. It also seems to happen when I have stopped and then try to change into 1st but almost never when still moving slightly.

All the other gears work really smoothly but when this problem occurs with 1st and 2nd, it is not just hard to get into gear, it is impossible.There is actually some kind of solid barrier there that doesn't release until I move the car a bit using say 3rd gear (not very easy!)

Last year, the dealer did find faulty parts when the gearbox was dismantled and replaced them, but now I am wondering whether the actual underlying cause of whatever was faulty is still present and starting to result in the same problem re-occurring......

Unfortunately, that same dealer has just finished its Nissan dealership and it not prepared to look into it any more!
2014 Acenta 1.2 DIG-T Manual, Pearl White