Steering noise

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Bladesilverqq

Post by Bladesilverqq »

Hi all.
Just posting this to see if anyone has had this problem and if they managed to get it resolved.
Bought my 2015 plate Qashqai in January this year.
After a couple of months we started to get a creaking from the steering when either stationary or moving slowly.
Booked it into a Nissan dealer. They looked at the car and said they greased something and it will be fine.
About a month later the noise returned. Back to the dealer.
This time they said they replaced some rubber mounts on the suspension and it will now be fine.
About a month later............. noise returns. Back to the dealer.
They said they greased it again to which I replied you've done this before, it didn't fix it to which they replied was " our technician is happy with what he has done".
Two days later the noise is not only back but sounds 10 times worse than it did before. I actually wondered of it was safe to drive!
Back to the dealer.................
My wife tool the car to the dealer at around 4.45pm. Got a call at 9am the next morning saying the car was done telling me they had replaced a rubber boot on the steering column and it will now be fine. I was sceptical that they job could have been done in this time.
Roll on 2 weeks and guess what........ the noise is back. Really not happy. Especially as this is not the only problem we've had. We've had a new engine under warranty and now there's constant smoke bellowing from the exhaust but that's another story!

So.......... Sorry for the long post but has anyone had this and had it fixed?

One unhappy Qashqai owner

chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

Are you sure the constant smoke isn't just steam in the cold weather? Qashqai's seem notoriously bad for this. Mine pumps out so much steam I can't see out the back window. Even after an hours drive on the motorway it still does it.

Oh and my steering started creaking last week for the first time, but it seems to have gone away again.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
Bladesilverqq

Post by Bladesilverqq »

I'm hoping the smoke is steam from condensation in the exhaust. I've checked my coolant and it's below minimum. I hope my head gasket is ok!
I hope your creaking steering doesn't get any worse.
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

steam disappears fairly quickly, smoke will linger, should be fairly easy to distinguish.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
dani87

Post by dani87 »

If you listen down by the brake pedal ant turn the steering is that where the noise is from?
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Have you tried entering for example “Steering Noise” or similar in the “Search” Area as there are several Old Posts there which might highlight some points for you - Dave ;)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Bladesilverqq

Post by Bladesilverqq »

The noise sounds like it coming from just behind the steering wheel. It going into the dealer next week but I don't hold much hope of them fixing it. They've had plenty of opportunity to get it right before.
dani87

Post by dani87 »

Could be the bush that the steering shaft goes through in the bulk head.
Bladesilverqq

Post by Bladesilverqq »

Apparently that was replaced the last time it was in.
Well see what they do this time.....
Mark46

Post by Mark46 »

Mine had both front strut gaitors replaced to fix the creaking steering problem.
QQ 2014 (64) 1.5dci n-tec+ (gun metallic)
DRL mod & mud flaps.