heater core

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
jimshu26
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by jimshu26 »

Hello, my first post here. Just wanted to mention that I have suffered from really poor heaters on my j10 1.5Dci. Changed thermostat with no difference.
Glad to say I flushed the heater core back and forth several times then filled it with white vinegar overnight. Several more flushes to clear the vinegar and gave it a run for 25mins. Could feel it getting hotter and hotter and remained hot while driving through the town, which was when it was always go cold.
Worth a try if your heating is poor.

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Interesting idea. What liquid is initially put into the heating/cooling system? Is it just water? If it is, then do Nissan introduce PH balanced water to prevent possible limescale buildup? If not, could household heating system addatives be used to prevent limescale buildup?
Daz Chaz
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by Daz Chaz »

Thanks for the post, Jim. My heater is appalling at the moment. Was just going to flush it until I read your interesting tip regarding the white vinegar. How much is required? Cheers.
60 Plate Qashqai N-Tec
jimshu26
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by jimshu26 »

Thanks guys. Daz I just bought 8 small cheap bottles from tesco, 40p each but I over estimated. I attached a 1mtr hose to the outlet pipe. Poured vinegar until it started to come out the inlet pipe before attaching another 1mtr hose to that. Roughly 3 little bottles worth seemed to fill it however, I made sure there was extra in the pipes which I had coming out under the bonnet and resting on the roof above the windscreen. My thinking was that the crud would begin to deteriorate and the vinegar in the pipes could pour into the space.
Not sure if I explained that well : /
PS. I thought about adding bicarbonate of soda to neutralise the acidity of the vinegar but was concerned this might just cause further blockage so left it. Think I flushed thoroughly enough with water though.
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

This looks like previous owners have been topping up the coolant system with water out of the tap. If the car is maintained with a decent coolant it will contain all the chemicals to lubricate, inhibit corrosion and remain sludge free. Water is not the cheapest coolant after all. Slaps forehead.
Daz Chaz
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by Daz Chaz »

Thanks again, Jim. I understand what you mean and have already bought the piping. I might wait until after Xmas before I brave a trip to the supermarket for the vinegar!

Wise words, Daewar. Has made me think that I might do a complete coolant change. Have only had the car for a couple of months. Who knows what the two previous owners have used?!
60 Plate Qashqai N-Tec