Turbo issue

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
nlangridge
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by nlangridge »

Hi all,

I have a 14 plate Qashqai 1.5 diesel acenta premium. 30000 on the clock.
Experienced some engine whine and loss of power so got it to Westway Nissan Southampton (where I bought it and have had it serviced twice, last service Mar 17).
Been told that the turbo has gone which has caused the DPF to need replacing and the intercooler to be flushed.
Quoted £4500 in total to repair!

I have opened a case with Nissan directly to try and get some help with the cost. Its out of warranty but no way a turbo should go on a car of this age.
Garage managed to get Nissan to agree to pay for the turbo (£2000) but that still leaves me with a bill of £2500 to fix issues caused as a result of the turbo going.

Anyone had any similar turbo issues or experience with getting help from Nissan?

Cheers,
Nick.

Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

There is a very good chance that you may not need the DPF replaced, it may just need cleaning. These dealers will try squeeze every penny they can out of you.

If it was me, I would just get the turbo replaced by the dealer and clean out the intercooler myself or get a local mechanic to do it at much better rates. Its such a simple job & may not even need to be removed to clean it (intercooler).

Good Luck
nlangridge wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:09 am Hi all,

I have a 14 plate Qashqai 1.5 diesel acenta premium. 30000 on the clock.
Experienced some engine whine and loss of power so got it to Westway Nissan Southampton (where I bought it and have had it serviced twice, last service Mar 17).
Been told that the turbo has gone which has caused the DPF to need replacing and the intercooler to be flushed.
Quoted £4500 in total to repair!

I have opened a case with Nissan directly to try and get some help with the cost. Its out of warranty but no way a turbo should go on a car of this age.
Garage managed to get Nissan to agree to pay for the turbo (£2000) but that still leaves me with a bill of £2500 to fix issues caused as a result of the turbo going.

Anyone had any similar turbo issues or experience with getting help from Nissan?

Cheers,
Nick.
Cardiactech

Post by Cardiactech »

My 2015 Nissan Qashqai has just had the turbo fail. Luckily in warranty but only done 18000 miles!
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

Cardiactech wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:37 pm My 2015 Nissan Qashqai has just had the turbo fail. Luckily in warranty but only done 18000 miles!
Was that the 1.5 diesel or the 1.2 petrol. Not heard any occurrences of turbo failure on the 1.2 yet.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
Charlie Miller

Post by Charlie Miller »

Mine had a whining noise on acceleration pretty much from the time I picked it up new. It never affected performance. I took it back to Westway and they told me it wasn't a problem but to come back if it got worse. I went back a couple of months later and they agreed to replace the noisy turbo. I guess the car had done about 12k miles by then. The work was done under warranty. I am unable to assist re the dpf question other than to say I would seek a second opinion. Good luck.
2016 N-Connecta 1.6 dci Xtronic: Pano Roof/Rails: Heat Pack: Black Alloygators: Gun Metal.
nlangridge

Post by nlangridge »

Interesting to hear you had a similar issue Charlie. I assume you went to Westway Southampton?
Good news is that Nissan have agreed to cover all the repair costs! It was definately worth calling them direct.
TBH I cant fault their customer services. They have been attentive and responsive all the way through. Plus I got the delight of driving a Micra around for a whole week!

Cheers all and Merry Christmas.