Possible turbo issue?

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Loader89
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by Loader89 »

Hi all. First post on the forums and unfortunately it's not a pleasant one. I drive a 2010 1.5 turbo diesel.

On the way home last night I was overtaking some one when all of a sudden I lost power and the turbo seemed to have no effect, and the car was struggling to even do 50mph. At the time it started billowing out white smoke as well.

I have checked the oil and it's empty and I mean nothing left. What's worrying is that only about two weeks ago I topped it up a little and it was ok.

What's strange is that no lights have come on the dash at all. Because I live around country roads I had no where to stop, so I nursed the car home the short distance anyway. When I checked it this morning it's now giving me the oil light but nothing last night.

What's the likely issue here? I'm guessing getting oil and filling it back up won't have much effect as it will just leave again the same way?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Jamie

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

You need to get under the vehicle and find out where the oil is escaping. Check under the bonnet too. There’s no way it could have burned off a full sump of oil over only two weeks. Possible cracked sump, loose sump drain plug, loose oil filter, missing oil filler cap etc. You really need to find the problem before filling with oil again.
Loader89

Post by Loader89 »

I can't find anywhere it's coming from, no visible exit points. It's surely through the exhaust which is what caused the white smoke no?
david sunderland

Post by david sunderland »

When you do put fresh oil in get under and look for oil filter leaking and any other places then its trial and error and you need to check oil level every run until you are happy ....the oil warning light should have came on so carry oil with you to top up with...sorry to state the basics but you will surprised how many people don't do or know
Qashqai tekna 1.2 petrol dig 6. 3. 17. gunmetal grey. glass roof m\ t...............now RENAULT KADJAR GT 160 BHP same as the QQ same car
benchmark

Post by benchmark »

Sounds like the oil seal on the turbo has gone, if you can remove one of the hoses between the turbo and the engine inlet and see if it's lined with oil.
Loader89

Post by Loader89 »

benchmark wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:58 pm Sounds like the oil seal on the turbo has gone, if you can remove one of the hoses between the turbo and the engine inlet and see if it's lined with oil.
That's what my uncle said. He's a mechanic all his life and reckons this to be the case. Only problem is he doesn't live even remotely close to me to come over and look.

I'm not so stupid as to not know what a turbo is or looks like, but here in the rain right now I can't find it. Where in the engine bay should I be looking to make sure I take the right hose off? He also suggested checking the blade for play as that will indicate if the turbo it's self is dead.
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

Not sure if these help to identify components as the service manual I have doesn't go up to 2010, but I suspect
the general details are the same.

t1.jpg

t2.jpg

Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
Loader89

Post by Loader89 »

That actually should help. That's where I thought it was but is very hard to get to. But on the second diagram, if I remove pipe 18 that's where I'm looking for the oil residue inside the pipe correct? if I look in the top section of this pipe will I still possibly find the oil? just thinking this may be easier to access?
benchmark

Post by benchmark »

Any of the Air Inlet Hose\Tube should have evidence of oil if that is what has gone wrong, so whichever is the easier for you to get off.
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

Maybe the metal one that angles over the top of the engine is the better bet (not that it looks all that easy). Not sure which is your
engine type - the one in the second pic is the later version of the 1.5, so perhaps it's that one. When reassembling, note any torque
values in the earlier diagram.

e1.jpg

e2.jpg

Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic