Qashqai in complete failure

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Georgia196
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Georgia196 »

Hi sorry if this has already been asked but I really need some advice.
I bought a 2014 1.2 petrol acenta premium 49,500 miles in June 2017. It was an ex mobility car so full Nissan service history etc. It’s been one of the best cars I’ve ever had, until Monday! I’ts done 53,000 miles since I’ve had it so less than 4,000 miles. I gone to start my car only for it to start up no warning lights, nothing showing up anything is wrong. It had a rattling noise from under the bonnet & a strong fuel smell. Went for a run around the block, turned off & then wouldn’t start. Rang recovery who have towed it to a local garage they rang me today to tell me it’s:
Pistons
Time chain jump
Cylinder damage
Catalyst converts
Fuel pressure regulator
It needs a new engine & now where taking THOUSANDS completely out the blue!!
Oil was topped up regularly. The garage have told me that this is a known fault with Nissan cars & ivr rang & spoke to them & they have said that as the car has less than 93,000 miles it would still be under warrenty, I need to get my car to a Nissan dealership. Has this ever happened to anyone else & what was the outcome once at Nissan I cannot afford to pay to fix this car I bought it outright which cost me enough, any advice please?

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Most likely out of warranty I’m afraid.
Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

I've far more sympathy for you than with someone who has neglected routine servicing during the warranty period.
All you can do is go back to the selling garage, which was hopefully a Nissan dealer, and ask them to cover it under warranty. Obviously this should not happen and it does not constitute fair wear and tear, which by consumer protection law gives you up to five or six years cover of some kind for major issues. I would get in touch with your local consumer protection whatnot/agency to see where you really stand, but in the meantime to get it to a Nissan official dealer.
Deleted User 1571

Just had a look for you and found this. Note the very last paragraph. Don't be fobbed off. Forewarned is forearmed.
From https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights ... -goods-act

Faulty goods replaced or repaired

You have the right to get faulty goods replaced or repaired if it's too late to reject them. You can state your preference, but the retailer can normally choose to do whatever would be cheapest.

Under the Sale of Goods Act, the retailer must either repair or replace faulty goods 'within a reasonable time but without causing significant inconvenience'.

If the seller doesn't do this, you're entitled to claim either:

• a reduction on the purchase price, or
• your money back, minus an amount for the usage you've had of the goods (called recision).

If the retailer refuses to repair the goods, and won't replace them either, you may have the right to arrange for someone else to repair your item, and then claim compensation from the retailer for the cost of doing this.

You have six years to take a claim to court for faulty goods in England, Wales and Northern Ireland; in Scotland you have five years.
Georgia196

Post by Georgia196 »

Thanks very much for the advice, I did speak to citizens advice yesterday & they told me exactly that. Unfortunately I did not buy from a Nissan dealership. I bought from a ex mobility car dealer who I’ve spoken with & has no interest atall in helping me, so I’m not sure if I should be taking this up with the manufacturer or the car dealer I purchased the car from. I will seek more advice on this. I had the old shape Qashqai which was great , wanted the new shape for so long & waited over a year for the price to drop so I could just buy one without finance & im devasted this has happened :(
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

Motability (not mobility) vehicles are generally kept by the customer for three years. The first J11s went on sale in February 2014, so yours must have had its third service, albeit an intermediate one, at a Nissan dealer shortly before you bought it from the unhelpful ex-Motability dealer in June. Hopefully you have the service record booklet to prove that it was properly maintained. The timing chain tensioner should have been monitored, especially as the 1.2 engine has had some issues with both the tensioner and oil consumption; a number of engines have had to be replaced under warranty. In addition to Quacker's suggestions I'd certainly make Nissan Customer Services aware of the problem, tell them where and when it was serviced, and explain that although it was not bought from a Nissan dealer, it must have come either directly from one at the end of a Motability lease (and serviced at the end of that lease) or via auction immediately afterwards.
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
Georgia196

Post by Georgia196 »

Thank you I have done this & spoken with customer services & local Nissan dealership a man who was very helpful & my car is being towed within the next few days I do have all the service history which is also being sent over to the Nissan dealership. So will hopefully know more once it’s there & they can look at it. The garage it is currently at have said there no possible way it is something I am at fault for-it shouldn’t have happened! & if I can’t get any goodwill from Nissan I will have to go the consumer rights act route as it’s going to cost me nearly the price of the car to repair it :(
Georgia196

Post by Georgia196 »

Looking through the cars service history, would it be normal the car needed a 3.5litre oil top up on its first service?
Deleted User 1571

Not normal to require that much oil between services. Not sure what you mean actually, because the oil is changed at the first service. It is the driver’s responsibility to check and top up between services as necessary. I don’t recall having to add more than half a litre on any of more than a dozen cars between services since the 1980’s and none this century.

I believe that Nissan do have an issue with the 1.2 petrol engine. Do a few searches of this forum and see what you find. I don’t monitor anything like all posts but I do recall some problem or other. Finding a common problem will aid your case.

Edit..... look down the page and you will indeed come across another topic about oil loss and it’s causes and some mention of engines being replaced under warranty.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Georgia196 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:02 pm Looking through the cars service history, would it be normal the car needed a 3.5litre oil top up on its first service?
The oil and filter should have been replaced at its first service, not just topped up. Service history wouldnt normally record oil top ups.